“Almost above average. Porters ruined it for me.” 3 of 5 stars

Golden Tulip Farah Marrakech
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenue du President Kennedy, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #341 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Toronto, Canada
“Almost above average. Porters ruined it for me.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

This hotel was night 5 and 6 during an 8-day mini-bus tour and subsequent 6-days travelling Morocco alone. It was the best overall hotel during the tour but pales compared to the Riads in the Medina.

The hotel common areas are clean and presentable. The pool and grounds are well manicured.

Internet is randomly unreliable. They have routers spread across the building for an illusion of Wifi. One you connect to in the morning will probably not work by afternoon. It's like they have one modem and plug it into one router at a time. You can see clusters of guests wander with laptops to congregate in areas that work. Sometimes the bar... sometimes the lobby... sometimes no place at all.

We changed rooms 4-times upon arrival. The first smelled like a toilet. The second had a broken air conditioner. The third reeked of cigarettes. The fourth was acceptable as our standards fell.

The food was good but, I barely ate. I was into my 4th day of traveler's diarrhea. On that note, the toilet paper is terrible and my bum was rubbed raw.

The sour point for me was the porters. During check out, there were lines at all of the slow, tiny elevators. I opted to carry my 50-pound bag down 5 flights of stairs (which was not actually a hardship). The problem came when I entered the lobby and a porter forcibly grabbed my bag. At one point, we were both holding it as I tried to make clear I didn't want his help. He would not let go. He rolled my bag 10-feet to the bus (yes... it had wheels) and then lingered for a tip. He would even walk into my vision as I turned my back. Meanwhile, there are people who actually needed help with their bags. Completely unacceptable!!!!

Room Tip: The rooms are a random mess. We changed four times because of toilet smell, cigarette smoke and a br...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

493 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Amstelveen, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We stayed in a bungalow, which was very spacious and had a nice view of the garden. The cleaning crew came daily to wield a mop and replace towels in both bathrooms.
The hotel is well situated, with large grounds that give you the idea of a 'country' stay whilst being in the city. Quite a few restaurants nearby, attractions in walking distance or a (cheap) short taxi ride away.
We had half board, breakfast buffet was so-so: limited choice, no variation. We tried dinner, but that was of poor quality. Twice we payed a supplement for dining in the Italian restaurant, whci was OK (i.e. you had some say in what you could eat and quality was better - not overstewed). We also swapped dinner for lunch a few times, for salad and a bread roll buffet was just OK. From what we heard from other people such buffets seem par for the course in Morocco though. So we just had a couple of meals elsewhere, which were much better.

Room Tip: No idea about the rooms in main hotel. Bungalows ( a duplex with separate sleeping area and 2 bathro...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Iroquois, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Of the four hotels we stayed at during a recent visit to Morocco the Golden Tulip Farah Marrakech was the best. It was not four star as advertised but fine for our needs.While the rooms were not bigger or significantly nicer than the other hotels the property was set up and designed to be accommodating. Service was for the most part delivered with the grace and sincerity that Morocco is famous for. My husband left a book in the restaurant and it was safely waiting for him at the front desk the next morning.The garden and pool area were delightful and our room enjoyed a lovely balcony where each morning I could sit and enjoy the fresh air before the onset of the day's heat. I grabbed coffee from the restaurant buffet, returned to my room and lingered with the view before facing the frenetic pace of the Moroccan traveler.The bar was spacious and the wine selection adequate and served, for the first time in our trip, by the glass. A large lobby also accommodated our group socializing.Unfortunately the food in the buffet was disappointing both at lunch, dinner and breakfast but at this, the final phase of our vacation, we had come to accept the limitations of the food and eat with some caution as others in our group had become ill by the time we reached Marrakech. The hotel includes a few quite interesting shops that were always closed when I was in the hotel which was disappointing as I had some Moroccan currency that I wanted to get rid of and had seen some quite nice items in the store windows.The hotel location is perfect for easy access to the famous Jemaa El Fna square and the labyrinth of soukes. The property seems to be a vacation destination for young French vacationers who fully utilize the bar and pool area.

Room Tip: As the elevators are a little undependable ask for a lower floor so the stairs are doable. Be sure t...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

The hotel is set in very attractive gardens in a quiet part of Marrakech. It's about a 20 minute walk to the main square and the soukes or about 5 mins in a taxi, horse and cart or tuk tuk! Cost for each vary depending on how good your negotiating skills are and how receptive the driver is. Anything between 40 and 80 dhs.

The room we were in was a duplex that opened out in to the very leafy and well kept garden. The bed was upstairs along with a cupboard. The bathroom and small living area are on the ground floor. Both parts were clean however the bathroom towels were a bit thin but perfectly usable.

The breakfast was a typical continental fare event with a mixture of pastries, cold meats and cheeses. Generally all of these were fresh. There were also a couple of hot items which didn't look very appetising!

The best (free) wifi reception was in the lobby area with virtually no wifi in the rooms.

All in all, a pretty safe bet for Marrakech on not quite a budget but a solid 3* hotel with great pool and gardens.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

My wife, daughter and I stayed here last week for 4 nights and were quite disappointed. The room allocated was a duplex (two levels). Its ground floor was sticky and crawling with ants. Paint was cracked and peeling off the walls. The upstairs ceiling was very low. The air-con was basic. The bathroom paint was damp and, in places, mouldy.

Tired, we slept there the first night and in the morning asked for a change of room. The new room had (slightly) better air-con and a great view of a brick wall just outside the room. Interestingly, the receptionist did not appear at all perturbed when we asked for a change of rooms.

For a (purported) 4 star, this was very basic indeed.

Others have criticised the breakfast, so the less siad about that, the better ..

We shall not go back to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Cork, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights last week and I was disappointed.
The hotel is fine - clean but in need of updating, a basic at best and certainly not 3 star.
The restaurant and bar staff were extremely nice, the reception staff were extremely rude at check in and checking out. We also consulted with reception about tourist options and were told they done have any tourist literature - (not even a photocopied map with the city highlights indicated) and that there isn't much to see n Marrakech except some gardens. A huge disadvantage to a hotel in a city where there is so much to so and do. Luckily we are self sufficient people.
The bedroom was fine - old but clean however the table on the balcony was broken.
The buffet breakfast is very poor quality.
The pool area is really nice but a huge lack of sun beds and a tolerance for people reserving beds ALL day even when exploring this great city all day.
I have to say I wouldn't return to this hotel.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Warsaw
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

I stayed two nights In this hotel + when travelling with my family. We booked a quadruple room and I can’t imagine to spend in such a room two weeks holidays. All this type rooms are located on the ground level (what causes in practice that you can’t keep window opened so often). There is a double bed on the upper level and two small single beds on the basic (ground) level, where also TV is located. However – there is no English channel available. There is not so much space in the room – so it is OK for the people who arrive for 1-2 nights but not for a long family stay. The fridge is available in the room but there was no kettle to make tea/coffee. The safe was in the room but the cost was high )50 drahms per day). The A/C in the room was very bad, especially on the ground level. It was much more comfortable to seat outside the room – in the lobby. There is no Internet in the room, Internet is available in the lobby/reception area (free). The breakfast was really basic (even no juice – only a sweet drink with slightly fruit taste). In the afternoon and in evening there was no possibility to eat a’la carte. The only one possibility was a buffet dinner, starting at 8 pm and the price was 200 drahms per person (drinks are paid additionally).
The staff was very polite but my impression is that an overall hotel policy is first of all to charge the guest all the time (high price for safe, comparing other Moroccan hotels, only an expensive buffet dinner as the proposal to eat something in the evening).
And final remark – Marrakesh is a very hot city in July and August. We arrived to Marrakech from Agadir with only one purpose – sightseeing and next back to Agadir for leisure. I am sure, I would be very tired after holidays spend in July in Marrakech, even spending all the time at the pool.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Golden Tulip Farah Marrakech? Share your experiences!