“I wouldn't return” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #343 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Cork, Ireland
“I wouldn't return”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights last week and I was disappointed.
The hotel is fine - clean but in need of updating, a basic at best and certainly not 3 star.
The restaurant and bar staff were extremely nice, the reception staff were extremely rude at check in and checking out. We also consulted with reception about tourist options and were told they done have any tourist literature - (not even a photocopied map with the city highlights indicated) and that there isn't much to see n Marrakech except some gardens. A huge disadvantage to a hotel in a city where there is so much to so and do. Luckily we are self sufficient people.
The bedroom was fine - old but clean however the table on the balcony was broken.
The buffet breakfast is very poor quality.
The pool area is really nice but a huge lack of sun beds and a tolerance for people reserving beds ALL day even when exploring this great city all day.
I have to say I wouldn't return to this hotel.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

490 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Warsaw
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

I stayed two nights In this hotel + when travelling with my family. We booked a quadruple room and I can’t imagine to spend in such a room two weeks holidays. All this type rooms are located on the ground level (what causes in practice that you can’t keep window opened so often). There is a double bed on the upper level and two small single beds on the basic (ground) level, where also TV is located. However – there is no English channel available. There is not so much space in the room – so it is OK for the people who arrive for 1-2 nights but not for a long family stay. The fridge is available in the room but there was no kettle to make tea/coffee. The safe was in the room but the cost was high )50 drahms per day). The A/C in the room was very bad, especially on the ground level. It was much more comfortable to seat outside the room – in the lobby. There is no Internet in the room, Internet is available in the lobby/reception area (free). The breakfast was really basic (even no juice – only a sweet drink with slightly fruit taste). In the afternoon and in evening there was no possibility to eat a’la carte. The only one possibility was a buffet dinner, starting at 8 pm and the price was 200 drahms per person (drinks are paid additionally).
The staff was very polite but my impression is that an overall hotel policy is first of all to charge the guest all the time (high price for safe, comparing other Moroccan hotels, only an expensive buffet dinner as the proposal to eat something in the evening).
And final remark – Marrakesh is a very hot city in July and August. We arrived to Marrakech from Agadir with only one purpose – sightseeing and next back to Agadir for leisure. I am sure, I would be very tired after holidays spend in July in Marrakech, even spending all the time at the pool.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

We booked this hotel knowing that it had some bad reviews however looking at the nice pictures of the hotels gardens and pool convinced us that it can't be all that bad. I'm afraid we were very wrong.

True the garden is nice but that can't be said for the rooms. Tired looking, flat pillows, broken tv. No kettle for making tea in the room. On top of that the breakfast which was a buffet was a nightmare. Queues of people waiting for the food trays to be replenished. Worst hotel breakfast we have ever had.

My opinion stay only if you are looking for shelter for the night.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We booked this hotel through BA as a package with our flights etc and paid quite a good price considering it was a 4* hotel in the Easter holidays. I wouldn't rate it as 4*, the food was fabulous in all the a la carte restaurants though expensive (did not try the buffet) and the pool was nice, however the rooms were not what I'd expect in a 4* hotel. Fortunately the staff were very helpful and upon seeing our displeasure at our family being placed at different bungalows in different parts of the hotel (one of which was up some stairs in the back of some driveway area and the doorknobs were broken!) we were moved to much nicer and more modern split level suites at no extra cost.
The staff were helpful, the bar is lovely and the moroccan tagine was delicious, though they seemed short-staffed in the restaurant each day.
Location wise it was an easy walk to the souk and the main sights.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We chose the golden tulip because of the temperatures over 40 degrees at the time. We wanted air con and a pool to cool down in. My husband, sister and I stayed in one of the bungalows which has two bathrooms and split level so fine for our needs. We used he bar a lot as their was nowhere outside the hotel openly selling beer or wine during Ramadan. It was expensive but not above other hotels.
The pool area got very busy so I'd advice joining the masses and putting towels out as early as possible or you won't get a sunbed. People we saw were mainly couples and families so no idea why they chose to have a pool DJ from about 4 onwards. Not the sort of clientele who'd go for that sort of thing! Including us.
We didn't use the restaurant apart from breakfast. Usual thing with some cooked stuff ( roast potatoes!) and some cheese/ meat. It as ok.
All in I'd choose it for the aircon and space to relax and stay cool. It was too hot to really explore Marakech Madina in August so would recommend in the heat. Probably would choose a Riad in cooler times though.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
hungary
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

It was from far the worst place we have been through Morocco.
We arrived in the afternoon, it was our last day in Morocco before flying back home.
We had a room on the ground floor. It was past two in the afternoon and there were still no towels. I tried to ask the cleaning staff, they said OK they'll bring (but they did not). Our terrace was the only one with nothing on it, no furniture (others had a table and two chairs at least). I went to the reception desk then to ask for both. They told me we would have them. I can tell you we did not have the furniture during our stay. So we could not have a shower or use the outdoor pool because of the lack of towels. Finally I saw the cleaning woman distributing the towels. They did not give me the towels, she distributed first the other rooms. Finally - without a word - she came into the bathroom and put the towels but we did not have the towels for the pool. I was too tired to argue on.
It was after this that I noticed how dirty our room and especially the bathroom was dirty. That some parts of the cupboard were falling off- I do not say a word. I did not see a dirt like this in whole Morocco.
As to the pool it also did not seem quite clean, there were a lot of people and - of course - no free sunbeds.
In the morning we had our breakfast, and of course it was not fine at all. The food was not good at all and no fresh orange either. The air conditioning was not working there (July in Marrakech).
I do not understand why it has four stars but compared to other hotels in Morocco it deserves only two, but I am convinced that two star hotels are much cleaner than this was. It was not really cheap!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Birmingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

This hotel was very well located in the new town area of the city. The pool was a good size and was clean. Understandably it got busy with a slight shortage of sun loungers at peak times. The hotel staff on the whole were very friendly and helpful. We had 2 rooms a bungalow and a triple room - both had two floors and were brilliant considering the cost. Lots of room and AC. Breakfast was not bad. Although we were there for a stag, there was a good mix of people including families. The location was perfect for getting to the popular nightclubs - for the I would recommend one called Theatro and another called So. Overall good stay and nice place with plenty of culture.

Room Tip: Brush up on your haggling skills!