“Love the pool” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #336 of 465 Hotels in Marrakech
Otane, New Zealand
“Love the pool”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

We stayed here for four nights. It's a bit of a walk from town, but a taxi is only 20DN (about £1.50) if you negotiate the price before you get in. The breakfast was really good - I highly recommend the Moroccan pancakes which are made to order with honied apricots. The room is a typical hotel room and adequate. We got a room overlooking a busy road and it was quite noisy. Our friends got a room overlooking the pool which was much nicer. For a five star hotel the linen could be of higher quality and the bed was a bit too hard for my liking - however for the price (we paid about £50 per night) it was good value. The best part was the pool - ideal for soaking up the Marrakech sun. We didn't use the spa facilities. Was good to be able to rest and relax after a hectic day exploring the city. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool - they are quieter and have a better view
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

We were upgraded to the Menara after the Ryad Mogador Opera down the street couldn't accomodate our reservation. They assured us it was a "5-star hotel" and we were lucky. It was nice - the room was big, standard for a nice hotel room: bed, table, bathroom, balcony. We dumped our luggage and went out to enjoy the last bit of sunlight, only to come back 2 hours later to find someone had tried to open the locks on our bags.

We had left the Do Not Disturb out, locked our bags, and I flipped mine upside-down on the bed because I'm generally suspicious in hotels anyway. We came in to find my bag right-side up, with the zipper pried open and the lock clearly messed with. Luckily they couldn't open it enough to pull anything out - I had my laptop & everything in there! When I went down to the front desk, I made sure they spoke English before telling the story. The two staffers just nodded and one said "OK." That was it. No "sorry" or anything.

This was the only hotel we stayed in during our two-week trip to Morocco (we just needed one night near the airport before our morning flight). I highly recommend staying in the riads in the medina instead. They have a small staff who actually care about the quality of your stay, are quite beautiful, and it's a much more interesting Moroccan experience.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

It is 2 years since my friend and I went to Marrakesh and I still have so many happy memories of that trip. We flew with EasyJet which was very cheap. You can take the bus from the airport to the bus station, which is directly across the road from the hotel OR you can opt for a taxi but agree the price before jumping in. It should be cheap. The hotel is ideally located and the rooms are spacious and very clean. Breakfast is varied and plentliful. You can opt to have the set meal in the evning which is great value. You will soon have a hankering for the delicious spearment tea and sipping this in the relaxing foyer is very relaxing. From the hotel restaurant you overlook the bus station and this in iteself was great bfor people nwatching. The hotel is typically Moroccan - beautiful. Excellent value for such a great location. A short walk will take you to the huge and I mean HUGE souk (market). The market takes on different looks according to when you go. During the day there's a lot going on but at night it is truly MAGICAL. The souk is split into different sections, spices, leather etc etc. There's a great selection of artists performing various dance and tricks. Although I am a well seasoned traveller and have worked in tourism I would warn people to exercise caution as there are a lot of con merchants here but please do not let that put you off. If you are sensible then you will have a fantastic time. It IS wise to get a guide to take you round the souk BUT arrange this through the hotel and agree the price and ensure that everything IS included in that price. The souk is too big for you to explore on your own and it is soooo easy to get lost believe me. Having been a rep I would advise people to book excursions independently. In the small shopping arcade next to the hotel there is a car hire office and for a small charge they will take you anywhere you fancy going and the price includes the driver who will act as your guide. We went to Essaouira which is about a 2 hour drive and is a coastal resort, steeped in history, fab culture and loads of shops. On the way you will have the opportunity of visiting one of the many Argan co-ops. Argan only grows in the western part of Morocco and is protected by Unesco. Let me tell you, when they tell you the benefits of this argan oil, BELIEVE them. I bought some for arthritis and it has been the only thing to alieviate the terrible pain I suffer. One work of warning though. The driver will stop at the argan trees where you will see baby goats jumping from branch to branch and tree to tree (the trees look dead but aren't!). The so called shepherds WILL demand money from you before you get back to the car. Make sure to keep SMALL money to hand at ALL times and be firm but polite, do NOT be intimidated. Never flash your cash. A meal is generally included in these trips but my advice is always ask the price and what it includes. A fab trip was the Big Red Bus which takes you on a tour of Marrakesh, well worth it and very informative and interesting. Another place to visit is the Majorelle Gardens which is a short walk from the hotel. Yves St.Lauren's garden here is beautiful and the whole place is stunning. Bartering is the thing in Marrakesh. Enjoy your trip and one word of advice. NEVER act as if you 'haven't a clue' act confidently otherwise you will be a TARGET. I shall certainly go back.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the swimming pool will afford you a better sleep as you will avoid the noise of th...
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012 via mobile

I brought USA team for competition. We had a great stay at this hotel. General manager Mr. Berrada welcomed us very professionally also his staff are well trained to give us great hospitalitiy. We enjoyed fancy traditinal Moriccan dishes at the resturant, the chef came out from the kitchen to greet us, we felt very special. Everything there was delicious. The moroccan style lounge was very cozy and our team enjoyed to sit and talk there. I will definatly visit there again, next time with my family! - Bruce Harvard " Assou"

• Stayed December 2011
Tel Aviv, Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

The hotel is nice. The service is good. The food, however, was not very tasty at all. We were with a group so had our evening meals there and were consistently disappointed with how truly average the food was. Breakfast was a bit better, though. Also, the Hivernage area is a 50 dirham cab ride to Jamaa El Fna. If I had it to do over again, I'd pick a place that was perhaps less 'fancy' and something more central, instead.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011 via mobile

Located in a beautiful area on Mohammed VI Blvd with nice gardens in Blvd. Not real close to tourist areas so needed to walk a dsiance or take a taxi. Rooms were spacious, but a little dated. Had a good breakfast buffet and you were able to sit out near the pool. Wifi was free in the lobby, but was spotty. No wireless in the rooms. Had to go to a cafe to get wifi access before leaving Marrakesh.

• Stayed October 2011
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

Very pleasant staff and excellent breakfast choice (hot, cold and fruit). The hotel is not 5 star as advertised in some places but is all the same very pleasant and rooms are of a very good size. Lack facilities for children but then again I feel that most hotels in Marrakech do! Overall great value for the price and I would definately stay here again. Short taxi ride to jema al fena or walk of about 10 - 15 minutes (nice walk in the evening). I would definately return to this hotel again as I enjoyed the experience in my first visit to Marrakech.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Ryad Mogador Menara? Share your experiences!