“We will definitely be returning to this Riad” 5 of 5 stars

Dar Silsila
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11 Derb Jdid Laksour, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #113 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
London
“We will definitely be returning to this Riad”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

Our total experience at this Riad went well beyond our expectations. We were especially grateful to the owner Jean Patrick who sensitively helped us successfully replan our holiday after we arrived and to Mohammed who, amongst other kindnesses, went out of his way to help us entertain our friends on the roof top terrace. The Riad was spotlessly clean and extremely well situated to allow us to explore the museums, souk and squares of this attractive city. All the staff made us feel very welcome even to the extent of scattering rose petals on our bed despite our honeymoon having taken place some 45 years ago.
Liz and Terry Cooper

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends

668 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
paris
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2010

Away from the madding crownd, Dar Silsila was just what we were looking for. A small riad with not too many rooms, well located but not too far away inside the medina. And there it was, just a couple minutes away from one of the main streets and 300 metres from Jemaa el Fna Plaza. And tho' very close to the city agitation, once we pushed the door, it was just an unruffled islet. Scents, colours and the riad decoration were just what we dreamt of. Not talking about the kindness and attention of the staff. Jean-Patrick, our host, made our stay so easy in all ways, putting our mind at rest for anything that was needed from good addresses to cosy and delicious tete-a-tete evenings in the patio. All was a real treat. Nothing wrong in the picture!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2010

Very handsome, quiet and well-located place with plenty of lovely public rooms and an pleasant floor terrace. excellent staff and service.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 2 nights during our stay in Marrakech, and we would highly recommend it. Mohammad and Jean-Patrick are both excellent hosts, who did everything they could to ensure we had an enjoyable stay. The riad itself is beautiful and tranquil, our room (the Africa suite) was decorated authentically and luxuriously. The bed and bathroom were even decorated with rose petals. It was wonderful to relax on the terrace with a complementary mint tea after a hot day exploring. It was very conveniently located just a 5 minute walk from the Jemaa el Fna square, in a quiet side street. The breakfast was lovely, and we also enjoyed an evening meal on our first night which was a delicious beef tagine with vegetables.

Overall we had a brilliant time, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend Dar Silsila!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Frenchy in UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2010

We found this Ryad through Trip Advisor after hunting for a while trying to find a convenient place to stay for our short break to Marrakech. We were very impressed with both the pictures and the reviews so decided to book it.

On arrival we were greeted with a mint tea by Mohamed who was only too happy to give us the Grand Tour of the Ryad. We were impressed straightaway as even the pictures on the Website do not do the Ryad justice. Our Suite was far more impressive seeing it first hand. It was spotless and contained everything you could wish for for a relaxing break. The rooftop terrace had great 360º views of the Medina, the Koutoubia and the Atlas mountains.
The staff are more than happy to attend to your every need, no matter how small or big it is. Sahiida, will always propose a refreshing tea at any time with her charming smile.
The sumptuous breakfast is more than enough to start the day the right way!
Jean-Patrick and Mohamed are more than happy to help you find your way in the labyrinth of the Medina, book you a taxi, propose an excursion, a massage/hamam, or simply book you a restaurant for the evening.
Failing that, you have the option of an evening meal in the buzzing town or a quiet homemade meal in the ryad itself.
Overall, it was a prefect getaway from the cold and the snow we left behind.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Copenhagen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2010

We spent four romantic and lovely days at Dar Silsila. The rooms are exceptionally stylish and aesthetic, the staff extremely helpful, charming and pleasant. Lovely breakfast on the roof terrace and if the weather permitted it, a lovely siesta under the Moroccan sky. We would recommend the private hammam with "gommage" and massage that we enjoyed together.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2009

When I was planning my trip, I looked for a hotel that was top rated, assuming that comfort, beauty and location were the most important things to look for. They are -- but after having traveled to Morocco alone, as a single woman, there's something that now tops the list: management and staff are the top reasons for staying anywhere, especially in a country like Morocco, which can be difficult to navigate in any case -- but even more so for those who come alone. (Also for those who may be less used to third-world countries.) Dar Silsila come out at the top of my list when it comes to being looked after. Jean Patrick, the riad's owner, was my "guardian angel" and a resource for my entire trip, even after leaving Marrakech, and Mohamed was not only one of the most professional, thoughtful and experienced of any manager
I found during my trip, but was a real friend and base for me to come home to after a long day. Everyone on the staff -- Fouad as well as the others -- were my very favorite staffs of any on my adventure -- all just as sweet and thoughtful as they could be.
I stayed at Silsila both first and last on my 3-week journey. After I told Jean-Patrick of having some bad experiences with a guide, he helped me deal with the situation and gave me the name of an American guide in Morocco who gave me some wonderfully helpful information on Morocco (from a woman's perspective) and helped me find a hotel during the Rose Festival -- free of charge. Jean-Patrick told me some places to shop, walk around, eat, and even gave me his cell phone so I could call him when I needed advice (which I did) after I left Marrakech. He also gave me excellent advice on my return trip when I changed plans, and made bus reservations for me. (NOTE: DO ask riad owners for advice on whatever you do, including guides if you decide to use one. These owners are probably better able to steer you right than Trip Advisor people, who gave me the name of the guide I used, to my sorrow, even after having checked him out with a number of references. I'd also suggest you use govt-certified guides, not just people who live there, drive and show you around and call themselves guides.)
When I came back from my shopping in the evening, both Mohamed and Fouad were there to chat, share stories, laugh, comment on and appreciate my purchases (including telling me whether I did well or not in my bargaining). It was like having friends waiting for me back at the riad.
Mohamed, who manages the riad, is not only a warm and funny person, but knows how to make his guests feel pampered. Sensitive and intuitive, he offers exactly what's needed (peanuts, mint tea, warm words, advice on tipping and what to spend on your purchases) -- exactly when you need it.
The riad is about a 10-15 min walk from the central square (on the shorter side once you know your way around and can take the short cut), which makes it very convenient. The rooms are all fairly large, beautifully furnished, with a complimentary large bottle of water (many other riads charge for this) in every room, delicious continental breakfasts and good dinners, if you opt to eat in. (Many/most of the restaurants have really bland food, and the food at the riad compared favorably to most of the other restaurants I ate in.)
If you're looking for a well-located, warm, lovely riad with a top-notch staff, this is certainly one where you can't go wrong. For me, it was ideal, and I would absolutely stay here again on a return trip.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo

Been to Dar Silsila? Share your experiences!