“Total disaster! Can this be the same place?” 1 of 5 stars

Dar Silsila
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11 Derb Jdid Laksour, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #109 of 462 Hotels in Marrakech
Cary, NC
“Total disaster! Can this be the same place?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2008

The Silsila fell way short of my expectations: no glass in the windows, just shutters; no drapes over the fixed stained glass; one tilted and one lumpy mattress; rubbery pillows; a noisy heater; no storage space; a feeble shower and an inadequate breakfast - and it lacked the attentive service I had read about. Not wanting to suffer through two more nights I tried to check out after one - only to be physically prevented from leaving!

A staff member locked the only door and stood in front of it! Eventually she had to open the door for other guests, and I was able to escape. They already had my credit card number but were demanding cash for the remaining nights, and the owner’s agent, on the phone, threatened to call the police. When I said that I would call them if he didn’t he switched to offering another room.

This place is all about money. The staff cared more about selling me a massage than whether I was comfortable, and the first thing the owner did when I met him (early evening, not when I arrived) was to demand payment in advance - in cash, in euros! (I told him I would pay in dirhams after I went to the bank.) Plus, I was being charged the hotel tax, but I was never asked for my passport so they could register me, so I doubted the government would get the tax.

The owner tried to sell me a massage (60 euros) or dinner (20 euros) but seemed hesitant about the service I did want - transport to the airport. He provided minimal tourist information and made no effort to tailor it to my interests. He has not apologized for his staff's behavior, and has charged my credit card for the two nights. I'm disputing the charge.

With over 600 hotels in the medina you can do better - I did! But solo travelers eating out might feel safer in Gueliz: the narrow back alleys in the medina are deserted after dinner.

• Liked — The public rooms
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
darsilsila, the owner at Dar Silsila, responded to this review, December 27, 2008
Firstly, I must say that I am not surprised to have received this particular review after the report my
staff gave me regarding this guest. She had sent me her comments in an email implying that if she did not give her a refund she would post her comments about my riad on Trip Advisor.

When this guest arrived she said she was not happy with her room as it was smaller than she
had expected. Bearing in mind that she booked a standard room which is our least expensive!
However, my staff offered her a free upgrade to a larger superior room which for some reason she declined
and said she just wanted to leave without paying, even though she did stay some nights.

This guest was very difficult and started being rude to my staff, she was making unjustifiable complaints about everything. About the beds and pillows, which are hotel quality and most guests compliment us on them. Also she posted pictures that give a false impression of the comfort and cleanliness of the riad; in the shower there is no dust it is just shows the reconstruction of the wall.

This person should have realized that Riads are usually old converted private houses and as a result some
of our smaller rooms are not be as big as a hotel in the USA where this guest comes from. We do not make claims
to be like the Sheraton or Hilton hotels, but we pride ourselves on a more personal and intimate service which
is what most of our guests appreciate.

Guests really should do some research on Marrakech and riads before they travel, then they would understand
what riads are really about and the charm that they offer instead of sterile and inpersonal chain hotels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
charlottesville va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2008

My family and I had a wonderful stay here about a month ago. The service was tops and the staff made every accommodation to make our stay great. Jean Patrick is a gentleman and an excellent host. He made special exceptions for us and helped us in anyway we needed it. The other fellow in charge is Sahid. He acts as manager and concierge. he speaks 6 languages and is a natural host.

The hotel is very clean and cozy with a great roof for breakfast and chilling out at sunrise. The rooms are clean and well appointed. The shower is very hot, watch out.(that is not a complaint) The bed linen is top class expensive cotton and real linen.

The place is hard to find, get an airport transfer! The hotel is a 5 minute walk to the square. We ate only breakfast here, but all the cafe recommendations were spot on. Thanks guys!

The negative reviews of this place crack me up. Some people are impossible, don't believe the whiners.

patrick freedom lucas

• Liked — The beauty of the hotel was only outdone by the willingness of the staff to ensure our happiness.
  • Disliked — I wish the had more of a restaurant built in
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2008

We arrived in Marrakech after a busy week of wedding planning and then getting married. The friendly driver the Riad had sent to pick us up was waiting for us. We were met by Said, one of the staff there, who was lovely and welcoming. The room was splendiferous, with roses freshly in it, without going into all the detail it was everything you could hope for. The staff were wonderful all week, the room was regularly tidied even if you only went out for half an hour, you'd come back to folded towels. We ate at the Riad two nights and the food was as good as any we had in all of Morocco. The roof terrace was great for sitting and reading in the sun while drinking tea, and never felt too crowded even though the Riad seemed full (that's actually true for the whole place, even though it was full, it never felt crowded). It was handy that the room had a small safe in it. The location was great, the dark alley it was down never felt unsafe.

The only minor point is that you can't pay by card, and can't pay in advance, which is fairly frustrating, but not the end of the world.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — Not being able to pay in advance
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wijchen, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2008

We stayed at Dar Silsila in the first week of December and to us it was a great experience.
From the arrival on we felt at home. Jean-Patrick and Saïd were informative on Marrakech and surroundings.
We booked a trip to the Atlas mountains and were advised on an excellent restaurant in the city which was also booked for us.
Breakfast and mint tea were served with a great smile.
One evening we had diner at the riad in a nice, romantic atmosphere and it tasted very good.
To complete the Dar Silsila experience we had a relaxing hamman as well.
The riad and every room is decorated with great sense of taste, Jean-Patrick was very kind to show us around.
In general I am not used to hotel beds that are tall enough with my 6ft4 length.
However the bed in our Dar Silsila room was tall and very comforable for a good night's sleep.
The shower and bath room were of an exeptional high quality as well.
Management and staff at Darsila are sincerely interested in the well-being of their guests.
To Jean-Patrick, Saïd and all Dar Silsila staff: thank you for your hospitality and kindness during our stay.
Petra Grislo & Peter Wiersma, The Netherlands.

• Liked — Location, smiles, hospitality, food, interior, bed.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
South Glos. England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2008

We Arrived early 11.45pm, our rooms were not ready, but that was to be expected. What we did not expect was a lady who had stayed the night before complaining bitterly and trying to check out. I said trying as it became clear that she was being held there against her will. Two female employees were guarding the door to prevent her leaving. Eventually another female guest wanted to leave as she did so the other lady forced her way out. We found the whole experience disturbing. Our rooms not being ready we witnessed the whole affair.

Please be warned that this hotel does not accept CC payments despite asking for your CC details prior to arrival. We assumed that by asking they would accept. I was told that their website made the situation clear. As I had not seen it we found ourselves in a little difficulty. I told the management we would have to leave- with that they changed their minds.

The rooms were comfortable if a little basic, painted concrete floors, with the occasional rug. The bathroom we had was decorated in a Moroccan style. The plumbing – lets say unique! The shower could be so hot it scalded you.

Breakfasts were good, freshly made. The staff very good.

The approach to the hotel is very off putting. The ladies feared for their safety. See Photo.

On Leaving we had asked for an early morning (7.30am) Breakfast. When we got up there were no staff around. Eventually one person surfaced. He was under the impression we were leaving the following day. I had booked and paid for a Taxi to the airport – I asked him to check this was arranged. To my horror it was not and I then was asked to speak to the manager on the phone. He told me that the taxi had not been paid for. It had and eventually, the staff having made frantic phone calls, the taxi arrived.

All very worrying. Would I recommend this French owned Riad? on reflection no. Its expensive for what it is.

• Liked — good frendly staff
  • Disliked — Location
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
darsilsila, owner at Dar Silsila, responded to this review, December 7, 2008
After reading this review I feel I must point out that although there were some minor problems This review
is grossly exagerated to the real events.

Also. It was during a time when I was on a short break in France. After discussing this with my staff
and having installed some new proceedures I am satisfied that there will be no future discrepancies
or misunderstandings.

It is clear to see from all the high praise reviews we receive that, we pride ourselves on giving
an attentive and professional service to our guests and take their concerns very seriously.
sussex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2008

Our daughter found Dar Silsila on the internet, read the reviews,off we went (four of us ). We were greeted by the manager, Said, this was to be the start of the most fantastic holiday we have ever had. From the outside the property didn't look much but get inside the front door and the place is breathtakingly beautifull !! The warmth of the welcome wasn't compromised by the fact that the owner was away for a few days, a friend was there who was as charming as the rest of the team. Altogether the whole experience was a most memorable one. The excitement of Jemaa-El-Fna square is only a few minutes walk from the guest house so after experiencing the excitement of the square you will enjoy the tranquility of the Dar Silsila!! Absolutely fabulous....

• Liked — the ambience
  • Disliked — the approach looked a bit intimidating
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2008

We stayed for three nights at the start of our holiday in Morocco and everything at Dar Silsila is a pure delight. Jean Patrick and his wonderful team have created a true treasure. No task or detail seems too small for them to ensure that you have a relaxed and memorable stay.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Dar Silsila? Share your experiences!