“Amazing” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #69 of 460 hotels in Marrakech
Brisbane, Australia
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

Amazing Riad located close (but not too close) to the souks and Jemaa El-Fna. Helpful and kind staff, make you feel like you are the only person staying there, and are more than willing to help. Solem (?sp) was more professional and helpful than any staff I have ever encountered in the world (eg. 5 star hotels in Singapore, Hong Kong and anywhere in Australia). As I left Marrakesh and looked at the in flight magazines with photos from "the best hotels", I realized I stayed at better when I stayed at the Dar Silsila

• Stayed November 2012

646 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Walsall
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I booked 5 nights at the Dar Silsila in October for myself and 4 male friends after reading the reviews on tripadvisor. We are all in our early 30's and try and go away once a year abroad to have a relaxing holiday. We had gone on holidays in the past and stayed in places with no character or of a poor standard and we wanted to avoid it this time. I'm glad we stayed at the Dar Silsila instead of a big 4 or 5 star our of town.

We booked a taxi in advance via the Riad because we had heard it was difficult to find. I'm glad we did as we would have probably got lost otherwise. We found the driver at the airport easily and it was a simple trip to the riad. The airport is not far from the hotel and for the return journey I would suggest you take your own taxi and save your money.

Jean Patrick is a wonderful host. The riad has only 9 rooms and it gave the place a homely feel. We hardly saw any other guests whilst we stayed there and the riad was our little break from the hustle and bustle of Marrakech. Jean Patrick spoke to us each morning over breakfast and asked if he could be of any help. I would say that the breakfast was very similar each morning and whilst tasty it would have been nice if there had been some more variety. I do have to say the orange juice in Marrakech is amazing.

I will say that the level of service at this Riad is really what makes the place stand out. Jean Patrick booked a quad biking experience for us and was always at hand to offer advice.

The rooms were smaller than we thought from the photographs but all very clean and tidy and decorated to a high standard. They were always cleaned and I was impressed with the cleanliness of the room. There are lots of candles in the room and if you go as a couple it can create a very romantic feel. The beds are two singles together or two singles apart. Would have been nicer if they were slightly bigger but not a huge problem. I don't like soft beds and the mattresses were very comfortable for my tastes. The rooms don't have tv's in them. We found this a welcome break but might be a problem for some. Two of us stayed in a suite - the Africa room and two slept in the Terrace suite (1 chap cancelled). It was nice to have somewhere to sit in the room in the air conditioning although there are many places and lounge areas to sit in the riad.

Wifi is available in the hotel but it is strongest downstairs. We had access in the Africa suite but there was no wifi reception in the Terrace Suite on the top floor. A suggestion would be for the owners to buy a wifi repeater to extend the range of the wifi to the whole riad. This would have been a welcome addition and wouldn't cost too much for them to install.

We had a massage and hammam on the first day and it was really relaxing and so nice to be only a few steps from your room and shower. I would certainly recommend this. It's within the hotel and reasonably priced from what we saw elsewhere. We also had dinner at the riad and whilst it was nice, it was over priced. I would recommend that you look for a good restaurant on tripadvisor and eat out. The cusine in Marrakech is all very similar.

Alcohol is expensive in Marrakech so we bought some from duty free. Jean Patrick was happy for us to drink in our rooms and they were happy to provide glasses and ice at no charge. There are lots of small shops nearby if you want to buy water and soft drinks as well as snacks. An ipod dock in the room would again have been a welcome addition but I understand this is expensive but a suggestion perhaps for the future.

Overall, I was very impressed with this place and would recommend it to others. A couple of suggestions for improvements would have made me give this place 5 stars. Please note the plunge pool is currently broken.

Room Tip: Terrace Room on the top floor is nice but doesn't have wi-fi access. The suites are probably the...
Lyme Regis, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed at the Riad for 3 nights at the beginning of our trip to Morocco and 1 night at the end. Jean-Patrick and his staff are wonderful, the Riad is clean,comfortable and very well located for the square and souks - the breakfast is lovely, served on the roof terrace and dinner is also great.
Jean-Patrick organised all our transport and bus tickets for our onward journey to and from the Atlas Mountains & Essaouira - he made it all so easy for us. Nothing was too much trouble and we would have no hesitation in recommending this Riad - you would not be disappointed.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We traveled with a group of 14 and all were thrilled with our rooms. Each room opened onto the courtyard and each was decorated top notch. Our hotelier Jean-Patrick made each of us feel welcome. He was available in the morning to help us wtih any questions as well as make excellent dinner reservation recommendations. The staff was always available to help i n any way they could. We had dinner in house a few nights and they were so generous with the food that we couldn't eat it all. jean-Patrick was also there to wish us well upon our departure. I would definetely return to visit the Riad , eat the food and visit with JP.

Room Tip: impossible to not have a great room. We took 7 rooms and all were great.
Fleming Island, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We arrived late one day and Jean-Patrick was not there to greet us personally but Salaam, who took care of us that first night, was his most gracious representative. J-P was surely expecting us though so we spoke to him on the phone which I thought was very sweet. Staying in this riad makes you feel like a valued guest, not just a paying customer. J-P and his staff are very hospitable and the breakfasts and dinner we had were wonderful. It's a very short walk from Bab Laksour so it's very convenient for a taxi or car pick-up/drop-off. The main square is only a 10-minute walk away and yet the riad was peaceful. J-P was also very helpful in figuring out our priorities for visiting Marrakech and he made a wonderful suggestion and reservation for our dinner one night. We probably stayed in their smallest room which had 2 twin beds but it was clean, comfortable and tastefully furnished. When I come back to Marrakech I will definitely stay in Dar Silsila again.

Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Location is excellent, just a few minutes walk to the square. Wi-fi connection inside our room was also great. Most importantly, Jean Patrick and his entire staff are very friendly and helpful. Assistance is always prompt and done with a smile.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I just stayed at the Dar Silsila and have to say that Jean Patrick and his staff are wonderful! The riad is very conveniently located to Jemaa el Fna square, and leads into the souks for convenience.

Highlights for me included:
Terrace breakfast every morning.
Wonderful dinner (samosas and a vegetable/meat tagine)
Jean Patrick helped to coordinate 3 excursions
Upgraded room for the first half of my stay since it was being unused
The wonderful smiles and friendliness of the staff at every moment
Laundry on site

I would highly recommend anyone to stay here and experience the hospitality that Jean Patrick and the staff of the Dar Silsila can provide.

Room Tip: The suite was nice as it didn't face the alleyway. It was very silent. The room I had the later...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Dar Silsila? Share your experiences!