“Marrakechs Kingdom for Queens :O)” 5 of 5 stars

You added Kssour Agafay to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   52, Sabet Graoua. Kssour - Medina, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #315 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Berlin, Germany
“Marrakechs Kingdom for Queens :O)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

If ever youre in need to be treated like a Queen (or King) go there! This is one of the most wonderful places in the world. There are not enough words to describe,I recommend everyone to just enjoy the experience. One could think they are even able to arrange the birds singing in the morning or having the sun shining every day when waking up. If there is any wish left it might be arranged. You are in the heart of the medina downstairs and in the middle of Paradise on the Rooftop. Whther you enjoy breakfast there or dinner its always brilliant. Merci beaucoup once more to the Team of Ksoour Agafay making my journey such a lovely one!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

9 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Solo
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

I have stayed at both the agafay hotels and both offer individual beauty and uniqueness.

This one is in the heart of the markets and centre of Marrakesh. Its completely safe and very homely and inviting!
The rooms are fit for a princess and the size of the bath tubs was just fantastic.

It was possible to speak to someone who spoke English if needed be so it was a very smooth stay!

I would definitely recommend this place and I will continue to stay here as I genuinely have never been disappointed with the stay/service.
The cuisines are authentic cultural dishes.

DEFINITELY STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

I recently stayed in Kssour Agafy for a short, 4 day celebratory trip to Marrakech with three friends. Having been strongly recommended the hotel, my expectations were high...

Upon arrival at the entrance of the medina, we were met by an extremely warm and friendly member of staff who escorted us to the riad. As soon as we entered the hotel, I knew my expectations were to be met to a high standard as the door revealed a stunning mosaic waterfall and a winding staircase which lead to a stunning hidden palace!

The hotel is centred around a beautiful courtyard and boasts a roof terrace with breathtaking views over the whole of the medina, where we enjoyed many delicious Moroccan meals and glasses of wine!

Staff were extremely friendly, attentive but also discrete and service was impeccable. All our bedrooms were tastefully individually decorated in a traditional and luxurious style.

Kssour Agafay really reflects the beauty of Marrakech and I definitely hope to return!

Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2007

We so looked forward to our New Year in Marrakesh and chose the Kssour Agafay for its location and its top rating. Location was fine - very close to the Souks etc., but the Riad was not what we were expecting. Room was no more than a corridor overlooking a buildings site. Beds were comfortable, but room was dark and we were unable to open window due to dirt form building site.Other small window was overlooked by tented family constantly vcooking a barbecue. Food at Riad(breakfast) was poor and stale. Staff seemed willing but although they spoke English, really didn't understand. Although trips were offered in room info - they were unwilling to arrange. Complaints were met with disbelief and arrogance by the owner.
Very few public rooms available and no chair in room so nowhere to sit after a long walk round the souks.
In conclusion - very disappointing and certainly not 5 star.
Celebrated New Year at La Sultana - same price - wow what a difference - thi s was a real treat

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — dirty sheets , no chair to sit on and dreadful view from obscured windows, arrogand owner
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2006

I stayed at Kssour Agafay for a week-long business trip in April, 2006. I didn't want to stay in a larger hotel, and somewhere like this seemed just right for me. As you might know, Wallpaper awarded Kssour Agafay a 'best club in the world' award in 2005, so I was pretty jazzed to get to stay.

Staying in the Medina is a wild experience; I recommend it to anyone going to Marrakesh. The sights, smells, sounds and people where totally overwhelming to me at first; our airport taxi dumped us out at the edge of the Medina, and a man showed up with a wheelbarrow to take our stuff through the streets to the Riad.

Twists, turns, near-misses by mopeds, then finally, a wide, slightly low door in an arch, and wham! Private luxury, incredibly nice staff, wonderful smells, and a roof deck in the Medina. Pretty much as advertised by all the write ups.

So, the positive:
Jislain (sp?), the Riad manager, was stellar beyond belief. Her English was excellent for Morocco; she made me feel almost like a long-lost relative. I can't commend her highly enough, she was stellar.
The rest of the female staff were almost as nice as Jislain, albeit with worse English.
The roofdeck view was fantastic (and let me hop on someone's wireless)
The food was quite good
The 'at home' feel was out of this world; the whole staff worked extremely hard to make me feel at home. I gave everyone hugs when I left.
The riad was absolutely beautiful inside; every time I walked in, I felt like I was getting a real treat. It's almost as nice inside as Stylia, a palace/restaurant inside the Medina. The pictures on their website do not lie; it's really incredible.
Famous people do stay at the hotel. Some shmancy movie director was in the place when I was there.

Downsides:
Only Jislain had the English skills to communicate well with a non-French/Arabic speaker. This is more a general problem in Marrakesh: if you want to get along, you'll need to be conversant in French, but I was hoping for the money things would be a bit better.
The male staff were good, but not great. A little more petulant, I'd say. Also, their English was yet-again worse.
When I stayed, the Riad was short-staffed by one person. Such a small hotel short-staffed meant I knew I was waking someone up when I needed something. A bad feeling.
No pool, (not really a downside in April, but something small would be nice)

My only major complaint, though, is that the hotel is NOT a club like I thought that it was. The hotel owners host a members-only social club for ultra-cool people in Marrakesh; the hotel website mentions this club extensively. That group of people is the club that Wallpaper gave the award to.

I thought that these people would hang out at the riad on Friday nights and drink, since it was their clubhouse, and I would get to mix with them. The website encouraged me to think this. This does not happen. The club might have the occasional event going on inside the Riad, but there were none the week that I was there.

Jislain explained to me that the club has outings, goes places together, etc, but doesn't really congregate in the riad without notice. In short, you won't be invited to hang out with the best club in the world, just for staying, even though you're paying a brutally large amount of money per night. In the end, this was really the only major disappointment for me: everything else was as good or better than I'd expect from any but the best boutique hotels in the world.

I've given it a five stars, mostly on strength of the unbelievable personal service and attention.

Probably the best way to see Kssour Agafay (and you should, believe me), would be to schedule a couple nights there while you're staying at Kasbah Agafay, out in the hills. There's a free shuttle (blessedly driven by great drivers in new Toyota SUV's); this would get you some of the Riad experience while still having access to the full resort / hotel features at Kasbah Agafay.

• Liked — sybaritic bedrooms, super kind service, heart-of-it-all in the medina
  • Disliked — accomodations a little tight, not as many famous rich people as I thought
  • Tips/Secrets — Do yourself a favor, and book a room for the night with your lover. You'll thank me.
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2006

After a couple days in the related Kasbah Agafay, my wife and I spent one night in the Kssour Agafay in the heart of the Medina. The courtyard is impeccably restored, our room was very nice, and the view from the terrace at the top of the building is great. But we were most impressed by the personal service. The transfers in and out of the Medina were handled smoothly without any hassle for us; staying late on departure was no problem; dinner, tea, breakfast, whatever we wanted was served beautifully; and when my wife said she was hoping to find some high-quality saffron, one of the staff brought it for us as a gift the next day.

• Stayed March 2006

Been to Kssour Agafay? Share your experiences!