“great location” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3, Rue Loubnane | Guéliz, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #310 of 474 Hotels in Marrakech
“great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

a wonderfully charming hotel! set on the edge of the town but with easy walking acess to alot of very nice shops and then the plaza with lots of restaurants ... we only stayed here one night, but it was pleasant the air conditioning was not noisy an the room even had a fridge! and a bath! and a propper shower unlike the traditional riads! the pillows wernt too comfy tho! but cant have it all ;-) staff were friendly and helpful , also english speaking. would reccomend this for people who want to be near the more upmarket end of marrakesh for shops and food as it is a hell of a hike to the medina. but its a good walk if you like that :-)

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Plymouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

If you want traditional then this is the place to be. It is a feast for the eyes from the moment you walk through the doors, and for a three star hotel it offers very good value. The hotel is close to the amenities and I suggest taking the tourist bus trip when you arrive to get a good feel of Marrakech. Breakfast is taken on the roof and is very traditional with more sweet food available than savoury however eggs are offered with salad, bread and processed cheese in foil. The male staff are friendly and very helpful - shame can't be said about the females who at best avoided eye contact and at worst were surly. This might be explained because we were four females together on holiday. Ages 66, 50, 47, 44. A family group celebrating the fiftieth of one of us and obviously not a rowdy group. Most of the other guests were French or French speaking and it is very much a hotel for the Muslim faith however alcohol is tolerated, but only just, and to take an alcoholic drink in public (ie by the pool) is very much frowned upon. Not wanting to offend we found ourselves acting like naughty schoolchildren. It might be said that this is their country and their rules - my answer to this is then don't advertise for business in the western world or the UK.

Although on the whole the experience was a good one, there were two things which need improvement and addressing. For a start be careful of the time of year when you go. We have been in August and the temperature was at least 40 degrees and travelling upwards. At times it was almost unbearable and the only place, where it was acceptable, was by the pool however for the amount of guests staying at the hotel there were only a few sunbeds and some guests were reduced to sitting on the floor. At one point it was like musical chairs! I asked if there were any umbrellas which would have been a bonus however there were none.

The last and most important thing was the air-conditioning. It seemed to have a mind of its own - or a master switch somewhere controlling the on/off button. The lowest setting was 16 but the room rarely went below 28 degrees. We tried everything including calling up the desk clerk who desperately tried to prove us wrong however was forced to admit defeat and, on request, delivered a fan. It wasn't just our twin bedded room as my two stepdaughters were in an even worse state but didn't complain - should have!

In an environment this hot air conditioning is the most important thing and the hotel should address this as a priority. And if they have to put the already reasonable prices up, so be it, it is still good value.

Room Tip: Check out the air con that it doesn't switch itself off after running for a minute
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

Hi I stayed in this hotel for nine nights just came back cannot fault this place close to local amenities and very helpful staff especially idrees on reception i had my wife and four children the room we were given was number 21 plenty of room for all of us excellent. But if you book through expedia there rep comes to take you on tours do not use this rep waste of time.
Hotel 10/10

• Stayed August 2014
Guildford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for two nights and was rather pleased by what I experienced. When one enters the hotel, they are faced by a lovely courtyard with a miniature water fountain and a blaze of techni-coloured lights illuminating the atmosphere. The room key was a bit big (20cm) but hey-ho.
So the rooms consisted of beds, ensuite and a balcony. For the aircon, fridge and tv to work you need the swipe card in the reader by the door. I was confuzzeled as one was not able to turn the aircon on. The hotel has a good pool and a lovely terrace.
The wifi password is mhhmarrakech #FirstWorldProblems
The best wifi is in the rooms on the first,second and fourth floors (not third).
Also, they give pink toilet roll! It's beautiful! On another note, across the phone there is a convenience store. Tell the guy that you know Akshay and he will give you good prices on coke, oreos and other things you need to survive.
Great hotel!

Room Tip: First, Second and fourth floors for wifi!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
southampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I recently booked this hotel for my son, his new wife & myself. I have been to Marrakech many times & stayed in all types of accommodation. This hotel is EXCELLENT VALUE FOR MONEY, I found my room to be CLEAN with excellent bathroom/shower + FREE TOILETRIES supplied (shaving crème,soap, shampoo, razor & toothbrush with toothpaste). My room was at the front but I could only hear noise from street below if I opened my windows. Each room is slightly different in colour but each is designed to give the look & feel of a traditional Morrocan Riad. There was a SAFE IN ROOM for which you pay at reception. The remote control air conditioning worked perfectly & kept my room cool enough. There was also a small FRIDGE IN MY ROOM which was great for keeping my drinks cool. The maid cleaned my room daily & replaced towels as required. Always plenty of hot water for my shower, day or night. There is also 2 Lifts to upper floors & the reception desk staff were always pleasant & happy to help.
The area is Gueliz which is a modern area but lots of local traditional style cafes along street. There is a new SHOPPING CENTRE with RESTURANT AREA Upstairs & SUPERMARKET in basement a 2 minute walk from this hotel so all in all A PERFECT PLACE TO STAY. You can get buses every 10 minutes at most to the main square (Jemma Fna) & to the Souks. No need for a Taxi but saying that Taxis are everywhere & can easily be flagged down. make sure you agree a price for your journey before you get in but on average we paid 20-25 Dirhams to the main Square.
My son & his wife also loved this hotel & spent time relaxing at the clean swimming pool & relaxing on the sun terrace. My son who has also visited Marrakech many times in the past commented on all the lovely little attention to detail that made this hotel stand out from others he had stayed at in the past.
I WILL ALWAYS STAY AT THIS HOTEL WHEN I VISIT MARRAKECH from now on. A Genuine Diamond find as far as I am concerned.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Blackpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

We pull up to our hotel. It's beautifully lit up in 8pm evening sun. Flags of the world on posts outside, ornate moldings and wonderful colours and shiny clean steps lead up to the lobby doors. A nice member of staff helps with our luggage into the hotel. He won't take no for an answer and I don't argue ha. We get checked in quickly. We are welcomed with a plate of almond biscuits and the most tasty mint tea. Very welcome after a scary drive from the airport ( A different review entirely as Morocco seems to have zero road safety/laws to keep cars, bikes and horse and carriages from misbehaving)

Myself and my boyfriend are put in a room on the front of the hotel. We were moved 10mins after as the air-con turned itself off and wouldn't stay cool. But here's the good thing. We were moved to the back of the hotel and were given a pool view! yey! In the shade. TRUST ME. You want a room in the shade and not in the sun even with the air-con. And the room was the exact same. EVERYTHING. It's a CRAZY room! We love it! It's so mismatched and tacky its good. Leopard print covers with canvases of woman belly dancing and market trading bracketed to the four poster bed lol. It's fab honestly.. You have to just say wow lol.

Pillows- could be better, we used the "noodle pillow" instead of the normal ones. Soft!

Quilt covers- we put em in the wardrobe. Who needs tog 10 when its 45C outside? Sheets it is!

Bedside tables, a phone (although no info on how to call other rooms or even reception or an outside line- they defo need to place info beside the phone on what to do)

Tiled flooring-LOVELY AND COOL.

Rugs on the floor too but were moved by the maid so we'd stay cool.

Fridge.. take out the shelves to fit in water.

Bathroom- Came with a lay back bath,towels, shower, toilet (obvs) and bidet. And even lots of different bathroom essentials (razor, toothbrush, shaving cream, toothpaste, little tangler hair comb, 2-1 shampoo sachets, hairdryer- not massively powerful but it'll do and soap)

ALL THE ABOVE that need electrics. WILL go off when you take your key card with you. Fridge being the main concern. Annoying its not on separately or can be done that way.

The food seems overpriced for what you can find out and about and was often very quiet at food times. We always seemed to smell the food being made but never actually saw anyone eating?? It's much cheaper to eat out if you look around people.

Reception also has a huge fridge where you can buy water. 12dirams for a liter bottle..That's enough. It's cheaper elsewhere too. Again..look about as we did. There's a shopping center 2 streets away (Eden center) and at the Carrefore supermarket you can buy mahoosive 10 liter bottles for around 10 dirahms. There's also the prettiest little water fountain in reception too but apparently its prone to breaking all the time so wasn't turned on. Such a shame! AND! It was Rammadan and they told me they felt it was a bit mean switching it on when Moroccan's can't drink during the day. A temptation in 45C+ heat- i totally understand.

The lifts are small.. If you have huge cases it will take 2 trips. We had hand luggage and 1 big case. A tight squeeze but made it in one trip.

I've seen people reviewing about the size of the windows and saying their small?? Rubbish!! Their just right. Stained glass, a pretty shape. They open and you can put the top half of your body out so that to me is a window! If you do open them it's a bit pointless. Your room WILL get warmer if you open them. That's why you have air conditioning =) Nice to have a 5min look out of though.

DURING RAMADAN- which is now. Alcohol is NOT served in many places. Only a very select few like big hotels or expensive restaurants. Also supermarkets won't sell it during this time either. All spirit shops close for this duration- a whole month! Ask your hotel where you can find it if its that important to you lol.

What else, what else..?? I have to give particular mention to two people. One's name i don't know though.. First person is "Cliff Richard" The night reception person. He look like cliff lol. He's just lovely. Has all the info you'll need. He saved us money by telling us to take the bus and not a taxi. If you like exploring and delving into local transport it saves you a small fortune! Don't be a bloody typical scared brit abroad- get the bus its great! Dead cheap! The number 1 will take you directly to the medina/famous night market. Runs till 11pm Also Mr Richard gave us places to visit- which we did! And even booked a day trip to the waterfalls through him. Cheap as chips. for 4ppl to the waterfalls 3hrs away and back again by private taxi which will also stop ANYWHERE you ask him too along the away if you want a browse about at passing traders or cafe's-it cost 300dirahms each. VERY good. And even took us through the tight streets of the Old City for a mini tour on the way back!
The second is our lovely maid who didn't speak a lick of English (French only) but that's fine- was lovely and polite, smiley and did a proper job cleaning and making our room up everyday. We left her a 20dirahm tip and a note saying thank you!

The pool- REFRESHING. In the shade most of the day.. But really people i don't think you understand just how hot and dry the air is and you'll be very welcome when that sun ISN'T on the pool. There's little sections where its on the pool side for sun bathing in the morning.. from say 9am till about 11am. Then 2.30pm til 6pm. About 4 loungers can fit into the sun slot so be quick and nab a spot.

Ok a few hotel and Morocco town tips..

-THE TV has ONE english speaking channel but you'll be lucky to tune into it as the signal is very poor! Mostly subtitles or even german and french subtitles.
-SOME of the staff don't understand English very well so be patient and think about what you'll say and how to describe it in simple universal ways to understand. The concierge guy is ok with english and a lady on reception and Cliff Richard also.
-MOVING ROOMS if you do wan't to move for any reason it's absolutely fine as long as the hotel isn't full.
-TOWELS CAN BE USED by the pool side FROM the hotel. Just ask. Handy if you've checked out and are waiting like 8 hours for a taxi to the airport and want to pool it for the afternoon but don't wanna weigh your luggage down with wet dense towels.
- TIPPING IS ENCOURAGED. But don't feel forced too if you can't or don't want too. The concierge guy informed us that 10dirahms (about £1) is enough for hotel staff/directions/cleaners. Eating out id stay 20-30dirahms is enough. The night market..i'll leave it up to you. It's cheap to eat so do you really need to tip? We did. A 10 here and there. At restaurants.. we usually rounded it off to the nearest whole number.
-TOILET STAFF out and about...about 2-3dirahms. Although many say "free toilets" the maids will still shake their pockets or hold out their hand. Don't bother. I think it's rude personally. That being said!!! I did give a guy a few dirahms as he guided me and my mum in law through the mad souks and stalls in the market and showed me where they were. Be prepared... it's a hole in the ground squat! Although very clean! =/ BRING TISSUES!!
-TAXIS AND HORSE N CARRIAGE- You absolutely MUST agree a price before setting off anywhere. They differ so much in price. One taxi cost us 20dirahms one way and 50 to go back the exact same way! They are stubborn and vetted in haggling so be FIRM. Give no ground to argue..NEVER accept the first price and WALK AWAY if its more than you want to pay. Another driver will always be near by and you'll get a better price. Again..shop around don't be scared of saying no if it's too expensive =) It's their culture after all immerse yourself in it.
-HASSLING IS INEVITABLE you won't avoid it unless your a recluse staying in a 5 star, all inclusive hotel with your head under a stone. Beggers, taxi drivers, horse n carriage drivers and stallholders and the night market especially!!! Stay cool. It's easy to snap at them. Just politely go "no no no" with a smile. Beggers.. Hmmmm.. I'll leave it to you. I didn't.
-LADIES if you don't want to be stared at and pointed at in some places cover those arms and legs and cleavage. BRING A SHAWL OR SCARF. Zante/Benidorm attire and butt skimming shorts here isn't illegal but is frowned upon. If your blonde or even brunette with tanned skin and tight clothes, you are asking for hassle and unwanted touching and gawping. Wear what you like but don't say you weren't warned! I covered up and saw a lot of woman being glared at and no doubt being talked about in arabic or french by men AND woman.
-CATS AND DOGS roam freely. More cats than dogs to be honest. They aren't vicious like some people think. Moroccans see them as good rodent catchers so allow them into the souks and markets etc. Some do fear humans and some don't. At restaurants they sit and beg. But like all hungry animals they just want a feed- wouldn't you? One just even wanted a pet and he was tiny so had a play with him. Our hotel had a mascot cat lol. A cutie! The majority of eatery's DO feed the cats there and even let them into the restaurants. I fed them my heart would be heavy if i didn't.
Last one...-if you need change and pay for something and the shop keeper tells you he wants change or "no no i haven't any" its a huuuuuge lie. He just want's your lovely note and counts on you being British and getting embarrassed about asking for your change so he can make more money. If you don't get it stick your hand out and say "CHANGE" They will assume you've given them it if you don't keep your hand out!!!

Aaaaand that's everything! I hope i gave useful advise! Vote now lol =)

Room Tip: Ask for the back of the hotel. I had room 37. The front sometimes has a young culture hanging around...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
West Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

The best service I have received and such welcoming and caring staff. Thank you to the whole team for the lovely stay and care you gave to me. Rooms were cleaned daily. The staff are very considerate of their visitors. The surrounding is also calm. Shop across the road and café down the road. I would visit again and recommend to many visitors. I was ill and the staff went out of their way to make sure I got well and I was well looked after. They always willing to give advice basic ed on sites to visits. Thank you so much for making Marrakech special and memorable. Khairunnisa

• Stayed June 2014

Been to Moroccan House Hotel? Share your experiences!