“Great Experience of Local Life” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Riad les Oliviers to your Saves list
Booking.com Expedia.com
Riad les Oliviers
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   47-48, rue de la Bahia | Quartier Riad Zitoune Jdid, Marrakech 40008, Morocco   |
Ranked #332 of 460 hotels in Marrakech
Manchester
“Great Experience of Local Life”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2009

Riad arranged pick up from airport, the driver was ready and waiting even though we were delayed through passport control. He helped with cases and made sure we were met at the reception before leaving.
The Riad is two houses, linked together with central courtyards, along a narrow alley with pedestrians, mopeds and donkey carts but well lit at night. The rooms are basic but comfortable, cleaned every day with fresh towels etc. .
Staff were excellent, always willing to help in any way they could, with advice on where to visit and directions, would give a miss to the restaurant they advised the first evening, food good but expensive!
The position is excellent with short walks to all the main attractions, the only time we used a taxi was to get back to the airport. The two main palaces are less than 10 mins away and the main square a bit longer (due to all the shops on theway).
The roof terrace was lovely for breakfast in the morning with birds singing and a view of the storks on the palace roof. We ate a meal at the Riad one lunchtime, food was excellent and they also serve wine.
The best part was walking through the door from a busy alleyway into the quietness of the Riad, this amazed me everytime, that and the thought that behind all of the simple doors in the street there were places like this.I
I can't say the mopeds were a big problem, although we did see two people on a moped transporting a section of fence panelling 2meters by 1.8meters by holding it vertically between them!!!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

99 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
swansea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2009

My mate and i stayed at this hotel / Riad for a week, great location, easy walking distance to all attractions in the city. It was a bit daunting at first being dropped off by a dark ally way and told by the taxi driver 'it is down there somewhere' friendly staff awaited us who are always willing to give you tips on the city. The Riad itself is basic but for the money you pay thats fine. An enjoyable trip!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2009

Situated down one of the long narrow alleyways of the medina, the Riad Les Oliviers is made of 2 riad buildings knocked together which gives a wonderful rambling feel to the building, and the most amazing roof terrace on various levels. The staff here were so helpful and accommodating, regularly going out of their way to help us, while making us feel at home. There is also the Les Oliviers Annexe round the corner, which is full of plants and small song birds living in the courtyard. Quite enchanting!

The facilities are basic, but adequate - don't go expecting Western standards. There will be plenty of blankets in the winter, but they might be a bit dusty... expect a more Moroccan experience.

Unless you really don't mind a certain lack of privacy and the feeling that you are sharing your space with all the guests, then a riad is not for you!

• Liked — The building - very old and rambling with a fantastic roof terrace
  • Disliked — The mopeds which race down the alley outside cover everythign in pollution
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
buckinghamshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2008

I booked this hotel for it's central location and authentic atmosphere. Booked an airport transfer and received confirmation but it never arrived. Made our own way to the hotel. The hotel itself is pretty and authentic but staff were quite rude and rooms had been overbooked. Being late at night our party along with another couple had no choice but to go to a villa owned by the same man. The villa was nice (apart from no locks on our door - lucky i packed a padlock) but it was about 30 minutes drive outside of Marrakech in the middle of nowhere and then tried to charge us for transfers into town. We argued to get free transfers and they agreed but we were completely abandoned there after about 7pm every night..Having spoken to other people who have stayed there the overbooking seems to be fairly common practice. It's a shame because the Riad is lovely but the staff and money-grabbing attitude of the owner really let it down. I would never stay there again.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Suffolk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2008

I read with interest, and with some surprise, reviews of the Riad Les Oliviers today. Some of the reviews differed greatly from my own experience. I stayed at the Riad Les Oliviers in a twin room on the first floor with my (then) 9yr old son. It was a totally authentic and pleasant experience. The benefits of the location of this Riad have been covered well enough in other reviews. Admittedly, our first few hours in Marrakech were slightly daunting, especially for my son. He has never been in a taxi where the driver appeared to have a complete disregard for the safety of his fellow countrymen and he has never had to share alleyways with motorbikes and donkeys! However, these culture shocks were soon overcome. We found the Riad to be spotless and did not expeience air conditioning or water probelms. We found the alleyways in the medina, although cluttered, clean. And we found the staff at the Riad friendly and helpful. My son and I spent the most wonderful day at someones private pool, served the most delicious lunch and made to feel totally welcome-all organised by the Riad staff. May I just finish by saying that I find the comments about children being noisy most tiresome. Please can we stop stereotying children who travel. The noisiest guests at the Riad Les Oliviers when we stayed were adult and American!!

• Liked — authenticity
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Cumbria
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2008

Although I've travelled around several countries over the years and experienced many cultures I can honestly say that without exception this is the worst place I have ever stayed.

Within an hour of arriving we wanted to leave. The room hadn't been cleaned in I don't know how long. There was standing water in the shower, no hot water, the toilet wouldn't flush and the lighting in the bathroom consisted of a lone bulb hanging from a bare flex and secured over the sink with a piece of string!

The staff weren't interested in addressing our complaints and the rep openly admitted that the manager had switched off his mobile because he didn't want to speak with us so we could raise the issues.

This riad is situated down a dark alley so it is not best placed for those nervous of being in a busy and an at times 'full on' environment or people who like a nightime stroll...

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Leaving it!
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Hungerford
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2008

The first night we were given a mint tea and some complimentary shortbread which was very nice... and then beckoned into what we thought was the cupboard but what actually turned out to be our room. It was just off the main atrium and it was tiny and had no air conditioning. That would have been ok (I didn't expect fantastically high standards) but my bed linen stank and obviously had not been changed. There were also no towels. Thinking there had been an oversight I informed the chap of this, but he just argued with me that it had been cleaned, and 'found' some towels from another bedroom.
The next morning we had made up our minds to move if things did not improve but we spoke to the young lady on duty and she immediately upgraded our room (which was fine). She seemed surprised that we had been given this room in the first place and there seemed to have been a bit of a mess up in our booking.
Breakfast fills a gap and is prompt, but the bread is rather stale!
I am also missing a £20 note from my wallet which I kept in my room throughout the holiday.
However, we enjoyed sitting up on the rooftop terrace and the price of their wine and beer is Very reasonable compared to other bars in the area.
Having been recommended, we had a very nice meal in their sister Riad (much classier establishment altogether) which, although not cheap, was absolutely worth it; delicious, and impeccable service.

• Liked — rooftop terrace
  • Disliked — first very bad room
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Riad les Oliviers? Share your experiences!