“This place is a dump, horrible - avoid!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Lotus Ambre

Save Saved
You added Riad Lotus Ambre to your Saves list
Riad Lotus Ambre
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   22 Fhal Zefriti | Quartier Ksour-Medina, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #253 of 461 Hotels in Marrakech
“This place is a dump, horrible - avoid!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2011

We booked Lotus Pearle and were taken to Ambre with no explanation.

The alleyway leading to the Riad is horrible and a lone woman would find it intimidating at night (see photo). The staff do not speak English and despite me asking for an explanation as to what was going on were were left in the courtyard for around an hour with a simple request to just wait!
The courtyard is dark, damp and the furniture dirty and tatty. Eventually the Manager of Pearle arrive to inform us that the room we booked had a problem and that the only room available was the suite in Ambre, as it was now 6pm and we only had one night in Marrakech we agreed.
Once he left and we had time to look more closely I was shocked at a number of things -
1. The electrical wiring in the room was not safe and no fit to be let out - See pictures
2. The Drain cover of our shower was missing and an old plasic bag stuffed in the pipe - not sure of this was to stop things comming up from the drain or what, but not hygenic at all! (See photo)
3. The stairs to the room are very steep and the light switch did not work, lucky we had a small torch.
4. We had a Hammam included in our rate and went to use it but again the standard of the room was very poor, it was not suitable to use and we left.
5. The room was just off from the main reception and entrance, and we found any noise such as the reception phone etc could be clearly hear so not relaxing at all.
6. They claim to have a CD library - they do not.
7. They had a portable electrical heater in the room as the actual heater / aircon unit did not work.
During the rest of the week we had in Morrocco I tried consistantly to get intouch with the manager of Pearle he ignored all my calls and texts. It took me three days to get the email of their GM from their sales manager and todate the GM has ignored my emails as well.
The breakfast we were served was again not good and we felt we ran the risk of food poisoning by the general standards of this Riad.
In conclusion - a very poor location, a rundown, tatty Riad not reflecting the image Lotus wish to present of being trendy and up market. The staff and the management reflect this general standard and so our experience as a whole was awfull, we were glad to get away. Yes we feel cheated and I would advise anyone considering Lotus to consider carefully before booking.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

We were told to that this riad offered a spa day and so we went - this is not a spa! Totally misled - the riad is quite dark and dreary, the massage room was a converted library and the ladies that massaged us turned out to be the cleaners!! Creaky massage beds, strange hamman experience, be prepared ladies to take your bikini tops off! The robes smelt also! This was not cheap and i would not recommend.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

We came here for the day as we had initially wanted a spa day, our Riad tried to book us into Villa Savinio but it was full so they suggested we come here, in comparison to our riad (dar charkia) we could tell it didnt match up. we had the hamman which was interesting and then had our 'massage' this was 2 beds in the library, no music, just the sound of creaking beds, the massage wasnt great. after getting change after the massage we come out to see our 'masseurs' who also doubled up to be the riad cleaners!!!! i wouldnt go here, its a good location and thats about it, noone who worked there spoke any english either!

Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Fairfield, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2010

I stayed at this Riad for 1 night but they made it very clear that my business was not important. We had stayed at another Riad but wanted to spend one night closer to the square. While they served us tea when we came in, they didn’t make any effort to welcome us (no maps, suggestions). We didn't have the breakfast as had been indicated on booking of our room and when we stepped out to town a cleaning person came into our room and moved all of our belongings out into a courtyard (this was at 11am) including my laptop!

The only thing we asked for was help arranging a taxi to the airport as this was included in book our rooms. We gave them advance notice of our need (5+ hours). At 3:45 I checked in with the front desk and they said it would be here soon. By 4:15 I was annoyed and debated getting my own taxi at the square. When we the hotel van driver arrived he was in a dispute with other travelers that took an addtional15 minutes!! I had to interrupt the dispute and remind him that we needed to leave for the airport a half hour ago.

Overpriced.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

I love this Riad, I had a business trip to Marrakesh, and took my coworkers to Amber Riad, they were amazed just as I was on my first time :-) Mr Farid and his amazing staff took a really good care of us!! Rooms always clean, the food was Delicious!!! It was my third time in marrakesh at this Riad which gets better everytime I visit!! I love marrakesh and Riad Amber Lotus :-)
I highly recommend it!!!

• Stayed November 2010
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

Just back from a wonderful stay at Riyad Ambre- a very elegant riyad- traditional Moroccon style with some wonderfully chic touches. It's an easy (i.e. straightforward) 5 minute walk from Djemaa El-Fna- through the craziness of the medina- into the peace and birdsong- complete with rooftop sunbeds and jacuzzi; wonderful to relax in after a long day sightseeing. The room was the typical riyad-size - traditional and luxuriant - I especially liked the bathroom mosaic!
The staff were excellent - they really went out of their way to look after us - changing money, maps, great restaurant/bar recommendations (even escorting us up through the lanes to the taxi stand)...
Liked best: taking pictures in the candlelit courtyard.
Liked least: more fruit for breakfast (those pancakes are seriously addictive)!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2010

You can't get enough of Marrakech, and especially this beautiful Riad, for the second time i enjoyed the Lotus Ambre, and its amazing and friendly staff, the amazing food, the warmth of its suites, ..I can't thank enough Mr Farid for his knowledge and courtesy, i was so happy he was there, we had flowers and delicious moroccan cookies in our suites when we got there, he got us updated with all the new spots, helpful at all time, he made our stay unforgettable one more time, A+ for Riad Lotus Ambre ++++++

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Riad Lotus Ambre? Share your experiences!