“Felt like home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Lotus Ambre

You added Riad Lotus Ambre to your Saves list
Riad Lotus Ambre
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   22 Fhal Zefriti | Quartier Ksour-Medina, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #279 of 465 Hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“Felt like home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

After walking into Medina like lost lambs, unable to speak a word of Arabic or French, we were thinking how are we going to find this place?! Luckily, I spotted a gold sign that led the way. Walking through a few of the alley-ways, we found it, and walked into a peaceful, orange blossum smelling hub which was Riad Lotus Ambre.

I went to Marrakech with my parents for some culture and relaxation, and that is exactly what we got. Having never stayed in a Riad, we did not know what to expect. We were welcomed warmly by one of the employees, and shown to our rooms. The manager arrived, sat us down and explained everything we needed to know about Marrakech, what to do, what not to do, where to eat etc. She booked our restaurants for us, she ordered in special gluten free bread for my mother who has Celiac Disease (without us even asking), she arranged a day tour for us, she did everything. Her name was Magdouline Khaled Yahia, and after 1 day, she felt more like a friend. She went above and beyond a good level of service.

The Riad itself is small - only has 4/5 rooms which suited us fine as it felt like we had the whole Riad to ourselves half of the time! My parents' room didn't lock, but we were assured that the staff were trustworthy. We are usually quite security concious, but we just felt so comfortable we trusted them. We soon became friendly with the staff - whilst some of the ladies didn't speak English, we somehow communicated and they were absolutely lovely.

The Hammam was excellent. The food was cooked to our liking and taste. One day we had a craving for fries so they made it specially for us. The shisha was lovely and smooth. It was just so peaceful.

There were a few issues with the room. The air conditioning / heating on the first day didn't work. We were cold, but they immediately provided us with electric fan heaters. My room smelled of sewage from the old pipes - they immediately provided oil burners and candles giving of a beautiful orange blossom scent to remove the smell. The lighting in the room is poor and they were not the most luxurious rooms, but they were cosy and pretty. The beds were VERY comfortable.

So why did I give this place 5/5 instead of 4/5 even though there were a couple of issues with the room? Because when there was an issue, they sorted it immediately. And that is what I call good service. And all of the good things we experienced completely outweighed the very minor bad things.

If you want a peaceful, friendly and homely stay, I would definitely recommend this Riad.

Room Tip: If you have problems with stairs, ask for the room on the ground floor.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

My mother wanted to go away for Christmas and New Year and take us with her. She definitely didn't want a typical large hotel. A recipe for disaster, you may think. And you would be right but for Maggie (the manager) and her staff. My mother and husband are getting on a bit, so after a long flight arriving in the dark, the walk through the alleyways to the Riad came as a bit of a shock, as to the uninitiated it can appear disconcerting. A trip to the Souk the next day with all that chaos together with stairs to the room appeared too much for infirm legs. (The reservations team had assured me that the room would be accessible to an oldie - it wasn't.) The whole trip was about to go belly up!

But Maggie to the rescue. She organised a downstairs room (no steps for old legs!) and made sure that the old folks were thoroughly pampered and tended to, to the extent that it left us younger ones free for our own trips and dinners. Thank you Maggie and all. The oldies thoroughly enjoyed their stay after all.

On the Riad. You get what you see in their website pictures, although the place is a bit older than when the photos were taken. But to me it added to the charm. If you want a "home" experience, then a tiny bit of fraying at the edges adds to the charm, rather than corporate perfection.

There are only five rooms, so you cannot expect the same breadth of facilities and services that you would in a large 5* hotel. If you want the bars, the restaurants and army of variously skilled support staff that come with a large 5* hotel then you'd best choose one. If you want something more intimate and peaceful, than this is for you.

While the staff couldn't be keener to please and provide whatever you wished, sometimes things appeared to get lost in translation! All the more fun and charm! But, hey, you can't have everything.

And don't be put off by the alleys. They are well swept and clean, and really not that that difficult after the first couple of excursions!!

Only one real criticism - the food that was offered was often not up to scratch.

I recommend Maggie and this Riad.

Lie back, take deep breath and enjoy the peace and quiet and lovely people.

PS There is a small bar and you can get an alcoholic drink!

Room Tip: The kennedy suite is quite large and will sleep a fairly large family! All rooms are ensuite and qu...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Madrid, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Although the hotel was difficult to find (as everything in the Medina) a servant of the Hotel came to find us when we got lost.

This is a fantastic decorated 5 rooms hotel. It is clean, peaceful and has an amazing patio where you can enjoy a fantastic breakfast every morning. I recommend to try the Hammam, unforgettable experience. The staff is also polite and excellent.

Only complaints:

1) During the check out, they try to charge us almost double of drinks that we actually had. Probably just a misunderstanding.

2) The water was always extremely hot in the shower.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Strasburg, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Don't let the walk through the alley to the Riad from the street put you off. It is a clean, peaceful, well run haven. We loved having breakfast in the courtyard each morning. Our room, the Kennedy Suite, was clean, tasteful, and comfortable. The staff at the riad were very welcoming and helpful. We booked a day tour to Mt. Toubkal through the riad and had a great time. We very much appreciated the airport pickup and drop off.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Although the hotel was difficult to find even by the local taxi driver it was well worth the wait. I phoned the hotel, spoke to Rashid to say that the taxi driver could not find the hotel, the hotel actually sent one of the staff to find us!! Hotel staff were very friendly, they were always on hand to provide anything you wished for, the staff makes this hotel. The Riad is small with only 5 or 6 rooms, rooms are clean and well looked after, breakfast was excellent, served promptly by Hakeem, and all was freshly made. The entrance to the hotel is a little daunting as it is down an alley way which does not look too inviting but once you know your away around it is not a problem. There is a guard on at night and he actually escorted us back to the hotel each evening. The Riad is a few minutes away from the main square so is in an ideal location for the city/souks and sight seeing. A big thank you to Rashid & Hakeem. We ate in the main square all the food was good.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Makiivka, Ukraine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Some time ago my family and I came to your town on vacation and stayed at your hotel. We want to express to you our gratitude for your warm welcome and good service. Our children were very happy and satisfied your Hotel. My husband and I also had a great time and got a lot of positive emotions. Thank you once again for the wonderful time we spent with you. Your staff were so kind to me, I do not know how to thank you. My family really enjoyed your hotel. I will recommend your hotel to my friends. My kids told me that your hotel is the best on planet earth.We want to express to you my gratitude for your warm welcome and good service.Thank you once again for the wonderful time we spent with you. I will recommend your hotel to my friends. Thank You!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

We had a lovely stay at this beautiful riad. I had been a little concerned by an earlier review but there were no problems. We had the smallest room, Marilyn, but it was a good size for two. The entrance off the 'main' road is a bit dark and unkempt but no worse than any old city I have stayed in across the Arab world. There is security on the alley too. We were escorted to the door when we arrived at night and it felt a bit labyrinthine but had no problem finding our way out alone the following morning. Once in the door there is a beautiful and peaceful courtyard with fountain and flowers. We were settled in and offered food and wine. The chicken tagine was the best we tried anywhere. The staff were friendly and really helpful. Their English was at times a bit idiosyncratic so a few words of French can be helpful. There is a lovely rooftop terrace that we used although we always took breakfast in the courtyard. Breakfast was always excellent with a slightly different selection each day. Generally 2 types of crepe with honey, French bread, pastries, fresh fruit juice and a delicious vanilla yoghurt type of thing. Coffee is the standard but they will do black or mint tea. You will have to ask if you want cold milk otherwise you will get it hot. Watch out for the bevelled mirror edges of the archway into the bathroom in Marilyn. My partner cut his head on them when he stumbled over the velvet curtain that acts as the door. Also drains all over Marrakech smell pretty bad but if you close the drain cover on the shower it won't bother you. Just tap it with your foot to close it and again to open it.

Been to Riad Lotus Ambre? Share your experiences!