“Dreadful experience” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Lotus Ambre

Save Saved
You added Riad Lotus Ambre to your Saves list
Riad Lotus Ambre
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   22 Fhal Zefriti | Quartier Ksour-Medina, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #252 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Bristol
“Dreadful experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

We stayed at this Riad by default - we'd booked and had a named suite in one of the other Lotus Riads - but despite that and despite not a word being said to us upon collection from the airport we were driven to this Riad instead. Once there we were made to sit around in a Courtyard with no explanation - whilst we tried without success to explain we were at the wrong Riad. Eventually a Manager arrived and told us that this was it only room available to us - not what we had booked - we'd spent hours researching online - booked a named Suite with a modern decor - we ended up in a horrid dark not modern at all suite - the electrics looked highly dangerous the window was stuck open the only heating was a portable heater plugged in next to the bed the tv was old fashioned - not the flat screen one in the suite we'd booked, the bathroom was awful - plastic bag stuck in the bottom of the drainage cover for the shower - certainly didn't linger around.

Trying to make the best of a very bad job asked about the Hamman told yes it is ready - got into bathrobes - risked the unlit staircase down to reception shown into a room no warmer than a damp shower - said this isn't hot - told no only just turned on - asked why tell us it was ready then? Still trying to make best of a bed job asked can I see the cd library the in room info refers to - told it doesn't exist!

Tried without success to get a Manager to spk to - spoke briefly to one who told us he would come back to us and make it up to us - he did not - he ignored all calls, texts and the all emails to Lotus Group ignored too.

Get the feeling the plush Lotus Riads are there to temp you to book then you get dumped in this place - which believe me is nothing whatsoever like the plush pictures on the other websites - I'd not recommend at all and avoid at all costs.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

82 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2011

I only spent two nights in Riad Lotus Ambre and it was enough to make me feel at ease.
The location is perfect, only few minutes walk from The Medina, but i liked the hotel so much that i spent most of my time in :)

First of all, the decoration is just GORGEOUS. They knew how to mix the oriental and the occidental aspect to get the best decoration and to make the costumer comfortable.

As soon as i arrived i directly felt that the staff priority was to make their customers happy, no matter what! They really care about that. When i came in my room for the first time i found oriental pastries with two bottle of watter, such a nice attention...

I was so surprised and happy to find a fireplace in my room on around 6pm, it made such a cozy and relaxing atmosphere.

The whole staff has a big sens of hospitality, like everywhere in Morocco.

I love Marrakech and Riad Lotus are the most amazing riad i ever seen in Morocco.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2011

We booked Lotus Pearle and were taken to Ambre with no explanation.

The alleyway leading to the Riad is horrible and a lone woman would find it intimidating at night (see photo). The staff do not speak English and despite me asking for an explanation as to what was going on were were left in the courtyard for around an hour with a simple request to just wait!
The courtyard is dark, damp and the furniture dirty and tatty. Eventually the Manager of Pearle arrive to inform us that the room we booked had a problem and that the only room available was the suite in Ambre, as it was now 6pm and we only had one night in Marrakech we agreed.
Once he left and we had time to look more closely I was shocked at a number of things -
1. The electrical wiring in the room was not safe and no fit to be let out - See pictures
2. The Drain cover of our shower was missing and an old plasic bag stuffed in the pipe - not sure of this was to stop things comming up from the drain or what, but not hygenic at all! (See photo)
3. The stairs to the room are very steep and the light switch did not work, lucky we had a small torch.
4. We had a Hammam included in our rate and went to use it but again the standard of the room was very poor, it was not suitable to use and we left.
5. The room was just off from the main reception and entrance, and we found any noise such as the reception phone etc could be clearly hear so not relaxing at all.
6. They claim to have a CD library - they do not.
7. They had a portable electrical heater in the room as the actual heater / aircon unit did not work.
During the rest of the week we had in Morrocco I tried consistantly to get intouch with the manager of Pearle he ignored all my calls and texts. It took me three days to get the email of their GM from their sales manager and todate the GM has ignored my emails as well.
The breakfast we were served was again not good and we felt we ran the risk of food poisoning by the general standards of this Riad.
In conclusion - a very poor location, a rundown, tatty Riad not reflecting the image Lotus wish to present of being trendy and up market. The staff and the management reflect this general standard and so our experience as a whole was awfull, we were glad to get away. Yes we feel cheated and I would advise anyone considering Lotus to consider carefully before booking.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

We were told to that this riad offered a spa day and so we went - this is not a spa! Totally misled - the riad is quite dark and dreary, the massage room was a converted library and the ladies that massaged us turned out to be the cleaners!! Creaky massage beds, strange hamman experience, be prepared ladies to take your bikini tops off! The robes smelt also! This was not cheap and i would not recommend.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

We came here for the day as we had initially wanted a spa day, our Riad tried to book us into Villa Savinio but it was full so they suggested we come here, in comparison to our riad (dar charkia) we could tell it didnt match up. we had the hamman which was interesting and then had our 'massage' this was 2 beds in the library, no music, just the sound of creaking beds, the massage wasnt great. after getting change after the massage we come out to see our 'masseurs' who also doubled up to be the riad cleaners!!!! i wouldnt go here, its a good location and thats about it, noone who worked there spoke any english either!

Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Fairfield, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2010

I stayed at this Riad for 1 night but they made it very clear that my business was not important. We had stayed at another Riad but wanted to spend one night closer to the square. While they served us tea when we came in, they didn’t make any effort to welcome us (no maps, suggestions). We didn't have the breakfast as had been indicated on booking of our room and when we stepped out to town a cleaning person came into our room and moved all of our belongings out into a courtyard (this was at 11am) including my laptop!

The only thing we asked for was help arranging a taxi to the airport as this was included in book our rooms. We gave them advance notice of our need (5+ hours). At 3:45 I checked in with the front desk and they said it would be here soon. By 4:15 I was annoyed and debated getting my own taxi at the square. When we the hotel van driver arrived he was in a dispute with other travelers that took an addtional15 minutes!! I had to interrupt the dispute and remind him that we needed to leave for the airport a half hour ago.

Overpriced.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

I love this Riad, I had a business trip to Marrakesh, and took my coworkers to Amber Riad, they were amazed just as I was on my first time :-) Mr Farid and his amazing staff took a really good care of us!! Rooms always clean, the food was Delicious!!! It was my third time in marrakesh at this Riad which gets better everytime I visit!! I love marrakesh and Riad Amber Lotus :-)
I highly recommend it!!!

• Stayed November 2010

Been to Riad Lotus Ambre? Share your experiences!