“Very disappointed” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Amira

Save Saved
You added Riad Amira to your Saves list
Riad Amira
3.5 of 5 Guest house   |   52, 23 Derb Benzina - La Kasbah | Medina, Marrakech 40008 , Morocco   |
Ranked #555 of 1,031 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Very disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

Having read comments on trip advisor I was looking forward to staying at the amira, how very wrong of me!

The staff are indeed friendly but that is all I can say of a positive nature. The twin room was small with only abdouble bed and what looked like a collapsible, there was no shower just a shower head in the bath which only had cold water, there were holes in the towels, plaster coming off the wall. The hotel provide a very standard breakfast and if you want lunch or dinner you have to give them notice so they can go out and purchase the food. When asked if they had any snacks they said no.

The pool is on the ground floor and terrace on the roof and there is no real sun light coming through by the pool.

I left the hotel after one night and booked in somewhere that I stayed before.

I spoke to the owner who was rude when I told her our reasons for leaving she told me I was incorrect in saying there was no hot water and then said she wouldn't reimburse me it was my decision to leave.

All in all a hideous place that I would never recommend.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
alixsalvo, Owner at Riad Amira, responded to this review, October 24, 2011
I was very surprised to see such a disappointing review!
The guest were staying in one of our smallest rooms at the riad, rooms and dimensions are clearly stated on my website.
Our breakfasts are considered to be among the best in Marrakech and many guests (see from other reviews) say that they are substantial and set them up for the day! Not sure what the guest was expecting?
We do serve lunch or dinner at the riad, but we do need to be advised a little time in advance (2hours no more) in order for the cook to make the food. Traditional Moroccan food does take a bit of time to prepare but the taste is just amazing! (again see from other reviews)
Not to get confused, at the riad amira you are in a B&B, not a 5 stars hotel with 24 hour service!!
The pool at the riad is located in the patio on the ground floor, and it gets sun from morning to 4pm.
The guest called me on their first morning at the riad saying that they wanted to leave because they were not satisfied with the riad. I tried to understand why and they simply said that there was no hot water! I apologized and told them I was going to see what was wrong and get it fixed straight away, they did not want to hear anything and used it as an excuse to leave right away. I replied that according to my cancellation policies their stay was not going to be reimbursed!
I was not rude at anytime, I just think that the guests were simply disappointed to be in a riad, not in a big hotel with sun lounger around a huge pool! They did not appreciate the fact that they were not given their money back!
However, I understand that my riad cannot please all guests at all time! but I will carry on to do my very best!

Alix

75 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Oxford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

At the price we paid we weren't expecting much - but on arrival we were absolutely blown away by this place. Really friendly staff, spotlessly clean, beautifully decorated, peaceful... Ticked all our boxes! Would highly recommend.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

I, my wife and my daughter arrived at the riad very late (circa midnight) on the 14th of July 2011 and our 1st impression was that is was 'fine'. That impression changed to 'fabulous' the very next morning when the sunlight literally lit up the place. It’s a gorgeous riad and one of very few that have its own 'plunge' pool (perfect for cooling down in on the sweltering Marrakechian afternoons!). You'd never guess the hustle and bustle of Marrakech was literally on your doorstep as the peace and tranquility this riad offers is just amazing!

Each day we'd have a belly filling breakfast at the riad and then set off to explore Marrakech/Morocco. On the occasions when we needed to be out early, the staff had our breakfast ready at 6.30am! The staff are clearly very attentative and can be 'on call' whenever you need them. The riad has an excellent location and whatever you need (food, drinks, souvenirs, taxis, tourist sites etc) are less than 100 yards away. The owner Alix got married a few days before we arrived and hence was not at the riad everyday however we did have the pleasure of meeting her before we left and that was lovely.

All in all we had an excellent time at the riad and it did make our experience of Morocco all the better! I’d not only recommend this riad to others, I'd definitely opt to stay again if and when we go back to Marrakech!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

This riad is located a bit off of the beaten tourist path, which is a nice repose after long days in the souks and the like. It is within close enough proximity to all of the major tourist hot-spots (10 min walking max.). It is also really close to a Moroccan emporium that sells great souvenirs at really competitive prices.

As for the facility itself, I found it rather comfy. The pool is mostly shaded becuase of its location, but that's quite nice. It is big enough to swim or play. But it's cold!

The roof terrace is pretty nice as well. The furniture is by no means brand new, but it's comfortable and practical and creates a nice sphere.

The room itself was simple and Moroccan feeling. The insulation is awful, so you can hear everything on the street. But this is the saem everywhere if you stay in a riad instead of a hotel.

The ladies who work there are FANTASTIC. I hardly saw the owner, but her staff was very helpful and with a good energy about them. They were great getting a tasty standard breakfast together every morning. And they were always willing and ready to help with whatever we needed (calling places, making reservations, cleaning up something I broke...)

The food at the riad is also pretty tasty, and at a pretty good price too. You have to order in advance, but it's a nice treat to stay in and have some peace and quiet every now and then.

The one thing I thought was weird was the room prices. We stayed in two different rooms, one which was EUR 70 and the other EUR 50. I actually liked the cheaper room better. I am not sure why the first one cost more. I also know some other visitors got better rates than I did, which made me feel like I got the short end of the stick for booking properly and not just contacting the owner directly.

All in all, I would definitely recommend this riad to anyone I know. It would be great for a romantic getaway, a trip with friends, families, etc. It was my favourite part of Marrakech, for sure.

Room Tip: Contact the owner directly, bargain Moroccan style
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

Great location, rooms well mantained and had character about them, breakfast set you up for the day. Plenty of little spots to chill out in. Staff all polite and very helpful. I would definitely go back to Riad Amira.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Portugal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

I've been in Riad Amira for 3 nights and had a lovely experience. When I've booked it,I was in dougth between a Riad or a Hotel...fortunately I choose de Riad! It´s very well localized,just 10 min walking of the main square,and everybody working there is very friendly and attentive. If you stay here you want regreat it. The breakfest is simple but the bread is so good...

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2010

I would highly recommend a stay in Riad Amira. It's a lovely little riad hidden away down a back street in the medina (old town). Immersed with the locals, you'll be made to feel at home by the lovely staff. My boyfriend and I were in Marrakech for 5 days, so the staff at Riad Amira arranged a taxi for us for the day to travel out to the Atlas Mountails, stopping along the way for photo opportunities- a great day out, and very cheap. The weather was mild when we were there in January, but we're planning a trip back when it's warmer so we can make use of the lovely little swimming pool in the riad's courtyard. It's not fancy, so if you're used to 5* you may be disappointed, but it's beautifully decorated and we can't wait to go back.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel

Been to Riad Amira? Share your experiences!