“Great place to rest and relax with excellent food.” 5 of 5 stars

51, Derb El Mennabha, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #75 of 467 Hotels in Marrakech
Certificate of Excellence 2014
York, United Kingdom
“Great place to rest and relax with excellent food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

I only stayed one night but it was a very enjoyable experience. The Staff were superb and my room/suite was perfect. as I wanted to rest and relax for the evening .
My evening meal was excellent with the local beer a very nice surprise but it would have been nice to order wine by the glass.
Overall it was a quality experience.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

The staffs are amazing - very helpful and courteous. Breakfast was yummy and served on the beautiful terrace which has a view of the Atlas Mountain. For a small riad it has a lot of communal space to hang out. The hamman is very inviting and we had a lady who gave us a good scrub - I would definitely recommend having at least a scrub in the hamman.

Stephanie who manages the riad is really helpful and patient - it was our first visit and we had many questions!

I would definitely recommend this accommodation.

• Stayed April 2014
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

A very elegant Riad. I chose this property after many hours of research for the many areas to sit and relax- and wasn't disappointed. It has 2 courtyards, one with a lovely pool with loungers and a "tented" sitting area and a second with seating around orange trees. The roof has more seating, loungers and a huge bed-like lounging area. With only 6 rooms you will always have a corner to yourself. The breakfast was very nice including fresh orange juice, pastries, bread & good jam. I had one evening meal which was excellent. The room was beautiful, overlooking the pool, and a bargain as I was given a free upgrade from the standard room I had booked. The standard room I should have had still looked lovely, just smaller. There is a large difference between the prices of the cheapest room and bigger suites and I would say the surroundings correlate to the price of the suites- meaning that the riad is a bargain for the cheaper rooms as all the facilities are communal. There is even a spa (which is free to use without treatments). The only negative is that it is situated in the southern half of the Kasbah so it is a 20 minute walk to the main Djem el Fna square. It is, however, easy to find (once shown) and taxis can come to just around the corner. There are many better situated riads (this is my 6th) but many worse situated ones way out in the northern medina or east of the palace. I had read some reviews about lack of locks on the doors- my room over the pool and the standard double next door both had locks. Overall this is the most beautiful riad I have visited for approximately the same price (I received 15% discount for a stay of 4 nights and over) and it is brighter and has far more space than many others.

Room Tip: 2 rooms over pool quieter and best value.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

A gem of a hotel hidden down an alley way off the main track and hubbub of the medina.
There is a real sense of calm when you enter and you can't hear any noise from outside.
There are lots of comfortable seating areas to lounge around and a fantastic roof terrace.
Location is great in terms of being central to the main tourist areas of interest. However I would not be comfortable as a single woman walking alone to the Riad at night . That said there were three of us and we did not get hassled except by the occasional person trying to get us to visit one of the cooperative shops.
Service in the hotel was great and our evening meal on arrival was delicious- better than anywhere else we tried.
I'm only sorry we couldn't have stayed longer.

• Stayed March 2014
Arbon, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

I was there with my husband for a week. It was fantastic as it is an original marocaine hotel. The staff ist very professional, the meals are fine and also the breakfast. We can recommand it without doubt.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

We had the most incredible time. Thank you to all the staff for the amazing service and making it truely feel like a home away from home. The location is great with all the main spots within easy walking distance. The Hammam is really good and well worth paying for the treatments and massage to get the full experience. Highly recommend

• Stayed March 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

We got married at the Dar Karma in October last year and the place was perfect. We booked the whole riad for our families for the days before, during and after the wedding.

I can not recommend this riad enough. It is ornate and richly decorated in traditional Moroccan fashion, but still manages to be homey, with a vintage vibe. The suites and courtyards are simply and quietly beautiful. One of the courtyards has a good sized pool, especially in comparison to the tiny pools you will find in most riads in the medina. The decorative wooden ceilings have been preserved to wonderful effect.

It's true, the staff is more comfortable in French and Arabic than in English, but your efforts will be well rewarded. The staff were all very eager to please. Stephanie, who I believe is from France, manages the riad, and she deserves my special thanks. She has great taste and great ideas and worked with our wedding planner to put together a wedding beyond my imaginings. Stephanie put together the most fantastic hen party at the riad for all of us ladies the night before our marriage. We all gathered around the pool for manicures and hammam treatments (the riad has a fabulous hammam) and then had massages in the suites. We wrapped up the night with tapas and cool lounge music enjoyed around low tables and leather couches set up poolside. Best party ever! ... That is, until it was outdone by the even more spectacular wedding they put on for us the day after. The food was amazing and the decorations even better, and the staff worked hard to make it all work like clockwork. Kudos to Stephanie and her team for making our dreams come true!

One tip: You might want to book lunches with the riad for days you are staying in. There are a couple of kebab stands on Rue de la Kasbah and a very swish hotel with dining options further down on Rue de la Kasbah, but there are no real restaurants nearby.

Room Tip: The suites are plush and romantic.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Been to Riad Dar Karma? Share your experiences!