“Beautiful riad and great stay but be aware of its location!” 4 of 5 stars

Riad Safar
29, Derb Ouihah Quartier Sidi Abdelaziz | Medina, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #328 of 1,040 Marrakech B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Beautiful riad and great stay but be aware of its location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

This was a beautiful place to stay. The owners were very helpful. Breakfast was delicious, the room was lovely and the roof terrace was great. The pool is very small but certainly does the trick if you need to cool down. It is a great place full of moroccan charm and character.
The only negative point for me which I wish I had been made more aware of by other peoples reviews, was that despite the excellent proximity to the souks, the riad is down some really quite frightening alleyway/tunnels. My friend and I (two females) felt unable to leave or come back to the riad after dark and even during the day for the first few. We experienced people trying to lead us down the wrong routes. Luckily, a great boy called Tarik offered to escort us round for a charge and he would meet us at the taxi rank in the evenings to walk the 10minutes with us back to the riad.
otherwise a fantastic stay but do make sure you take a french dictionary as the owners do not speak english.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends

42 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2010

The Riad Safar is a beautiful property. Comparatively expensive but worth every penny. There are only 4 rooms and lots of attention to the guests. It might be difficult to find, so make sure you have a great map with names of shops, etc nearby.

Authentic rooms, beautiful bathrooms, staff make mint tea and are pleased if you try to communicate in Arabic;-) (or French). Beautiful cool swimming pool on the top of the house as well as lush relaxation areas.

The most beautiful and characteristic place ever!

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Cotswolds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2009

This riad is beautiful and the owners have made the place very special, the bedrooms are stunning with unique and individual pieces - we didn't want to leave our room. The staff were discreet but there to help us when we needed and even went out and bought us some bread and cheese to eat in our room one evening as unfortunately we both had mild food poisining and didn't feel well enough to leave the riad. Only negative thing was pool not really usuable in Nov and riad a bit tricky to find.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
oxfordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2009

This was my first time in Marrakech and my friend and I were looking to stay in thehub of the Medina for a true Marrakech experience.

Firstly, the communication between the Riad's owner, Martin, was excellent. He arranged a private transfer for us from the airport and also a member of his team, Hammid, to collect us from the taxi and take us to the Riad. Which being two female travellers we appreciated. He also very kindly reserved a table, at a restaurant which we were keen to try prior to our visit. Emails were very prompt and dealt with very quickly.

Whilst from the outside the riad did not look grand, upon entering you felt like you had stumbled upon a decadent oasis. Staff hardworking, professional, yet not overbearing.

Cleanliness, comfort and breakfast were top notch. My friend and I both agreed that we would return at some point in the future.

A big thank you to the Riad Safar for a truly memorable experience!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2009

My friend and I (both female) have just returned from Marrakech and we spent 3 nights at Riad Safar. I would highly recommend Riad Safar for anyone who is travelling to Marrakech.

Riad Safar is located in the heart of the North Medina. It is a minutes walk down a few alley streets from one of the main roads going through the medina, close enough to be in the hustle bustle of the medina, but far enough away that once you're inside the riad you can escape the noise and mayhem and relax. You can easily walk to Jemma el Fnad (the Souks) through the markets in the medina within 5 minutes.

Customer service was excellent. My friend and I were a bit shell-shocked when we first arrived in Marrakech as it wasn't as westernised as we had thought it would be and it was initially hard to find out bearings, but the staff at the Riad made us feel very comfortable and at home and on the first night one of the men walked us through the medina to the restaurant we had booked in the dark, and the restaurant called him when we had finished and walked us back to the hotel. The next day we found our bearings and didn't need his help with this, but we were extremely grateful for his assistance on the first night.

The riad itself is stunning and full of character. It has been restored well and the riad itself is buit around a beautiful open air courtyard. Our room was very large, clean and ornate, and furnished with typical moroccan furnishings and lanterns. We had air conditioning which was a relief! Breakfast was served downstairs in the courtyard, and there was a gorgeous rooftop terrace with a dip pool, sun loungers, shaded relaxation areas and beautiful gardens.

The whole experience at the riad was excellent and I would highly recommend the riad to anyone else travelling to Marrakech.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2009

The Riad Safar was absolutely amazing. The Riad itself was beatiful. The room we stayed in (the Pacha suite) was fabulously decorated and entirely adequate to our needs. And, to boot, the bed was extremely comfortable. Though we were from the States and there was a little bit of a language barrier, the staff's accomodations were suberb. Our flight was delayed and we didn't get in till 3 am, but Hamid was there to take our luggage and make us mint tea to soothe our travel woes. The location is excellent: about a 5 minute walk to Djamaa El Fna square. It's a little bit reserved from all the action of the square, but as you walk through the alleys that lead up to the square, you encounter a bunch of small shops and venders that makes you feel as if you've lived in Marrakech for years. Also, Riad Safar will set you up with your own on call taxi driver (Rahim I think) to take you to see the various gardens of Marrakech, and a tour guide (Mohammed, he's the man) to lead you through the square and show you all the souks and give you the inside scoop to the shops. For only 30 Euros, this guy catches you up to speed on what's what in Morocco and is an absolute necessity to anyone visiting Marrakech. With him on your side, you get special treatment at all the shops...like massages in the pharmacies and Berber whiskey while you are delivered an excellent sales pitch by a man trying to sell you rugs and tapestries (one of which we bought).

Anyways, back to Riad Safar. While our entire 3-day stay in Marrakech could be indirectly linked to the Riad Safar since it had all the transportation and tours set up for us, our last day was spent exclusively in the Riad, which was absolutely amazing. Every day you get a wonderfully arranged breakfast which consists of traditional Moroccon cuisine: freshly squized orange juice, some kind of delicious pancakes with multiple fresh jams, and croissant-like breads which are amazing, and mint tea to boot! However, you also have the option of having the lady of the house prepare a meal for you, which I would highly, highly recommend! You need to do this a day in advance to allow her to gather fresh ingredients from the marketplace, but it's definately worth the wait. It comes out to about 40 Euros, but it was one of the Top 5 meals I've ever had! My wife was a vegetarian, and when they came out with a huge salad bowl and two fantastic vegetarian dishes, I thought we were done. However, she soon brought out an enormous tagine dish, a Moroccon pot used to cook a variety of customary dishes. This one was a type of chicken stew, spiced to perfection, and by far the best meal I had in Marrakech. It was enough food for probably 5 people, and to say it was delectable is an understatement. If that wasn't enough, we then had a dessert of freshly diced strawberries in some kind of Morrocan spiced sauce, a perfect light end to the meal. If it wasn't so good, I wouldn't have eaten it because I was absolutely stuffed.

After this fantastic meal with a few Moroccan beers (Especial), we decided to have a Hammam, or Turkish Bath, in the Riad. This was one of my favorite parts of the whole trip. The Riad has its own room used for the hammam, and I would highly recommend this pampering to anyone about to embark on the long trek home. My wife and I didn't really know what to expect, but we were pleasantly surprised! After an initial cleansing, we were exfoliated and re-rinsed within the marble room. When we were done, we went to the exquisite roof of the riad to dry off and take in our final views of Morocco. When it was time to go, we met Rahim and had him drive us back to the airport, thus ending our fantastic tour of Marrakech. I am definately going to return to this amazing city, and when I do there is no other place I would rather stay than the Riad Safar.

The location, staff, and amenities provided by the Riad Safar made our trip entirely epic. Without the Riad and its provided support, my wife and I would have felt lost and the trip would have been a hassle. Instead, I feel that we saw all of Morocco in only 3 days, and experienced all of what it had to offer. Even though our third day was spent entirely in the Riad itself, we got an insider's look into the best of Marrakech customs and cuisine. I would highly recommend the Riad Safar to anyone looking for a quiet, peaceful riad close to all the action of Djamaa El Fna square, while having all the amenities to create a relaxing vacation when you're not out exploring. The best possible place to stay in Marrakech. Period.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2008

Beautiful 18th century riad tucked away in the Mouassine district, which is very well placed. Five minute walk to medina wall where you can get a petit taxi to other parts of Marrakech and a 10 minute walk deeper into the medina to reach the djemaa el Fna. The little rooftop pool makes for a lovely way to relax - surrounded by colourful flowers. The couple running the riad, Laaziza & Hamid, offered perfect Moroccan hospitality. They were very respectful of a guest's personal space, yet always there when you needed something. The breakfasts in the courtyard were lovely. We stayed with our 4 year old daughter and the riad was very family friendly. At the end, Hamid very kindly got up at 5am and escorted us to a taxi at the medina wall. All round, a fantastic stay.

• Liked — the hospitality of the staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Riad Safar? Share your experiences!