“Excellent place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
20% off room rate
Ranked #11 of 465 Hotels in Marrakech
Surrey
“Excellent place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

Stayed here on account of the excellent reviews and was not disappointed. The communication with Laurent was personal and efficient. When the room we wanted was not available he upgraded us to a suite for no extra cost.

From reading the reviews the only downside appeared to be the location. This was not a problem at all and we were very glad of the location. Staying right in the Medina area would have been too hectic and the 15-20 minute walk back to the riad was no problem at all.

Beautiful rooms and courtyard. Attentive and friendly staff. Welcoming and hospitable 100%. Lots of lovely extra touches like free bottled mineral water, tea and coffee whenever we wanted and a security safe in the room.

The hectic and chaotic nature of Marrakech needs to be balanced with a calm and serene place to stay. This was perfect.

Thanks for sharing your lovely riad with us.

Mandie and Caroline

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sussex, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

Had a wonderful stay in the Riad in the heat of summer. It was the perfect retreat from the hussle of the markets and to escape the constant heat. Located towards the outside of the walled city allowed for many adventures walking in to the centre and getting lost which is all part of the fun (although excellent maps are provided to avoid this...we just enjoyed the adventure). The Riad is everything you imagine a traditional morroccan riad to be and wonderfully decorated. We also ate in the Riad on 2 occasions, very tasty homemade cooking and recommended. Excellent value when seeing the prices other riads are charging. Would stay again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

After reading the overwhelmingly positive review, I was having pretty igh expectation for the Riad and felt slightly let down... To be fair I wasn't sure whether it was due to the owners not being around during our stay (which they kindly notified us before and tried their best to make sure everything is OK beforehand). The interaction with the owners before we travelled was very positive and so I was suprised by the under-par experience on arrival.

Positives:
- After booking online, I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that the owners Laurent and Muriel made contact with us and offered the option of dinner at the Riad (for 20 Euro each) and assistance with anything we may need. It was a nice personal touch as normally for online booking, there is no interaction with anyone until you actually turned up at the hotel's doorstep!

- The inside of the Riad was very cosy and elegantly decorated. It was a peaceful retreat from the huzzle and buzzle of the medina and we happily spent some of the hottest afternoon hours just relaxing in the courtyard drinking mint tea. The roof terrace was great for star watching / moonbathing at night as well!

Negatives:
- Being a non-French speaker, it was virtually impossible to communicate with the staff who could not really understand beyond 'how are you'. I do feel that the staff are nice and friendly but it was extremely frustrating not being able to make myself understood (must be likewise for them that I don't understand them!). For example, we asked them to book the spa for us, and they ended up booking the wrong spa (!) and they could not even understand the time or differentiate 'am' and 'pm'!

- The cleanliness of the room could have been improved - The paper napkin on which our water glasses were placed rim-down was dirty from the first day (ie. it must have been re-used from the previous customer!). We stayed there for 4 nights and the bedding was not changed at all during our stay even when it was visibly dirty with hair and dust. Towels have not been changed either and we had to ask them for new towels on the last day and they gave us half a set instead of the full set...

- Although internet is supposed to be provided, neither us nor the other people staying at the Riad was able to get it to work with the password provided. The staff insisted that it 'should' work (but as a matter of fact it did NOT) but none of the staff seemed to acknowledge the problem or be interested in resolving the issue.

- We asked the staff to book a massage for my husband and I at their recommended spa but the staff was quite keen to sell her own massaging service. She said the two of us would be able to do it together (though we didn't know how it works at the time as there is just one of her but, again, can't understand with the lack of a common language!) At first we tried to avoid it as we wanted to have a 'proper' massage but gave in at the end and decided to give it a go. The time came and THE CLEANER turned up in my room as the second masseuse!! They took the towels I've already been using for 3 days, and that I just dumped by the sink, to lay the bed on which the massage was performed (I would have thought some fresh towels weren't that much to ask for). Then the 'massage' should better be described as merely 'rubbing oil on the body' and it was pretty disgusting that the person did my face after having done my feet without washing her hands! In addition, the 2 massage ladies were whispering among themselves for the whole 45 mins and kept trying to push my face into the towel when doing my back! Wasn't really the most relaxing massage I've had!

I have a feeling that may be things would have been better if the owners were around, then at least we'd be able to communicate properly and some of the above may not have happened.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the Selima room as it is right by the courtyard and can be noisy
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
LaurentBonicel, Owner at Riad Dar Dialkoum, responded to this review, July 22, 2011
Dear Terence & Ophelia,

Thank your very much for the time you've spend in dar Dialkoum, and for your review who is really helpful for us.

First for the positives points. It's the true. We try to do our best and help our guests during their stay, with pleasure, and to communicate that to all the team since 2 years.

For the negative points :

1. We are normally all the time in Dar Dialkoum, but we left the riad (for the 1st time) during 10 days for 2 marriages in Alsace (Muriel and me were witnesses each time, impossible to miss). As you say we "kindly notified us before and tried their best to make sure everything is OK beforehand". We are working with 5 women (all berbers), and 2 of theme speak english. Sure not enough for a great discussion, but enough for the activity. Some documents (detailed city map, good addresses, things to do, visits, excursions, restaurants, spas...) were prepared for you, all in english.

2. For the napkin, who was dirty, it's not normal. When we are here, there is an inspection of all the rooms before the arrivals. And with us, it must not be clean : it must be perfect ! Towels, bedding, pillowcases are normally changed every 3 days, and of course on demand in case of necessity. Please don't forget that we are in a country with a lot of problems of water !

3. There is 3 WiFi in our riad, 2 with a password (the same), 1 without any password. Why 3 ? Because in Morocco, sometimes, it's going wrong, and the walls are very large. But we have one computer with an internet connection at the entrance. It was working quiet good : we were communicating with the staff by email everyday. So I don't understand why you can't connect with your own phone or computer. And their is a laptop in the main lounge, on your disposition, for free too.

4. For the massage, what's happened is really not normal. We sincerely apologize for that and you can be sure it will never happen again.

As you say "I have a feeling that may be things would have been better if the owners were around, then at least we'd be able to communicate properly and some of the above may not have happened". That's true too...

Thank you again.

Kind Wishes from Marrakech.

Muriel & Laurent.
Guatemala
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

Stayed at Dar Dialkoum for 5 nights. We booked the taxi service to the riad (Highly recommended as it is a bit difficult to find the riad at first) and get a wonderful welcome with mint tea. The riad is an experience by itself, it is a peace of heaven in the busy city of Marrakesh and once you walk in, you only feel calm and relax. The service was wonderful, everyone took care of us really well and it was evident everyone looked upon little details (fruit basket filled every day, mineral water, rose petals on the bed), the owners took the time to explain us what to do in Marrakech, the best places to go, they gave us a lot of helpful tips and even arranged us a tour to the Sahara.

The riad is in the north side of the medina, about 20min walking to main square. After Muriel showed us how to return to the riad it was really easy to find it and we never got lost. You can get a taxi to take you to main square and it'll cost you about 20dh (€2).

if you stay here for several days, I'd higly recommend taking dinner one night, it was one of the best meals I had in Morocco.

I can fairly say it has been one of the best experiences I had in a hotel, if you go to Marrakech, you MUST stay at Dar dialkum.!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

I stayed at this Riad based upon the recommendations in Trip Advisor. The reviewers are correct - just a very nice escape from the energy of Marrakech. The riad, easy to find once you find it first, is truly an oasis. Muriel and Laurant were complete professionals (friendly) from the moment I sent my first email to them until the time I departed. The room was very large and delightful. I had dinner there one night and the food was excellent and portions massive. There is a little "pool" in the courtyard to cool down from the Moroccan heat. I can't imagine anyone not feeling at home here. I do want to praise Muriel for attempting, for hours upon hours, to locate my lost luggage (Easyjet). She did everything in her power to get the bag yet Easyjet apparently did everything wrong (and I still do not have it after 9 days). Go to Marrakech, enjoy the insanity, and relax back at the Riad Dar Dialkoum!!

Room Tip: calm from the typical insanity of Marrakech
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

What a wonderful place, secreted behind the black doors in the back alleys!
Laurent was a fantastic host, and helped me plan trips and visits.
The food in wonderful, beautifully prepared and delicious (btw you can get wine with dinner - another pleasure in Marrakech!;-)
I would recommend getting them to arrange the taxi from the airport - they collect you from outside baggage reclaim and walk you to the door (the black one, in the back alleys, which I don't think you'd find unless shown...!)
All in all, a great experience. I liked it so much I am taking my wife for our first trip abroad since the birth of our son (8 months) Laurent has helped me plan a great itinerary, so we're really looking forward to it. Go, stay and enjoy!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
rebeush
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011 via mobile

Cannot recommend this riad enough. Fantastic and genuine service, clean and beautifully decorated rooms, lovely food, idyllic courtyard and so quiet! I do not think you will find more welcoming or accommodating hosts anywhere.

• Stayed June 2011

Been to Riad Dar Dialkoum? Share your experiences!