“Beautiful room, great staff, poor location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Ayadina

Save Saved
You added Riad Ayadina to your Saves list
Riad Ayadina
4.0 of 5 Guest house   |   31 Zaouia El Abassia | Kaa El Machraa, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Offers & Announcements
10% off room rate
Ranked #237 of 1,037 Marrakech B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Beautiful room, great staff, poor location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

I found the beauty of this riad breathtaking, really wonderful, organic, natural and better than I had expected from the small laneway where you enter.

I found the staff very helpful and the manager Christine was really fun, with good English. Breaksafts were good, nothing too exciting, but well made and fresh.

The spa and hammam was awesome, really an amazing experience, if you do stay there, don't miss it!

The only problem is the location. It's pretty far from the main square (although I found that to be a very dissappoining experience as it happens) at least a 30 minute walk IF you don't get lost... We like some adventure so were happy to wander around and get a little lost during the day, but it wouldn't be fun at night.

Beware of kids that offer you directions, we found some that said the knew the porters name so we assumed they were good neighbourhood kids, but when they got us to the Riad (a 15 minute walk from where we got lost) we offerered them the equivilent of a couple of pounds each they started shouting, saying they wanted the equivalent of £10 each and trying to get their hands into my partners handbag. Not cool. A taxi to town should cost about £3, so their demands were proposterous. Soon as the host came to the door we popped inside but could hear them shouting for a while after... still, it's all an adventure, right?

All in all we loved the trip to Marrakech, the markets are great fun, but there are many husslers in the tourist areas and everyone will try and direct you there, you really have to go against the flow to get off the tourist trail, but it's a lot more interesting when you do - probably the best thing about the location is that it is off the tourist trail - by quite a lot!

I'd recommend this Riad to people who like independent travel and a little adventure, it really is beautiful and in an interesting part of town away from the main tourist hussle.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

97 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011

Christine and her staff really hit the top during our five days stay at Riad Ayadina. It was our second stay in Marrakesh and after a so-called "palace" experience in one of those large and famous chain hotels, we were willing to experience the real "Medina Life", we sure got it. Due to Christine's good advices, everything ran perfectly for us in the small Derbs. Within the Riad, we had much better Moroccan (and international) food than in the "tourists traps" where some taxi drivers want to take you to get their "bakkchich". We've been on a desert tour with one of the Riad's referenced guides, the guy was fluent in english and we discovered the life in the countryside with, once more a cheerfull welcome with berberian tea and local cookies. Back in the Medina, Aicha took care of us for the traditionnal "massage and gommage", another souvenir! Many many thanks Christine, we'll be back for sure, as soon as we can. J & R

Room Tip: Atina suite
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

I'm afraid this Riad was a disappointment. The decor is lovely and the room we had was beautiful. However, there was a "couldn't care" attitude from the owner which spoilt thngs really. The staff do try their best absolutely but too many times were things not there because they were waiting on the owner.

also - we ordered some food and amazingly in Morrocco were given ham and cheese sandwiches.....not the Morrocco experience we were looking for.

Just the feeling of the place wasn't special.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
warlingham ,surrey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

Rooms all excellent (we looked) , roof top terrace lovely with small pool , comfortable loungers and well looked after flowers everywhere - haven of peace BUT

not really a restaurant and food limited and expensive in Ayadina -centre of Marrakesh 20mins by taxi away and NO you can't walk in evening.night as dangerous according to Moroccons and French( we were there during the bombing and advice was same before /after) .

The water pipes burst on day before last and we were forced to go to another much worse hotel - Ma'am not very helpful .

also A/C never worked all the stay .

Room Tip: internal facing balcony on upper floors
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
RiadAyadina, Directeur général at Riad Ayadina, responded to this review, May 9, 2011
Dear Kilgore1,

I thank you for your comment and also for the tip that you left about the design and the good atmosphere in Riad Ayadina.

However I am very sorry to read the rest of your review, especially while during your stay, you did not show me any sign of disappointment nor let me feel or told me that there was any problem. On the contrary, you seemed quite happy about our level of service.

You arrived the 1st evening at around 9pm, while the other guests were dining. After showing you around the riad, your room and giving you some directions about Marrakech and its touristic sites, you finally decided to have a diner. It was almost 10pm (time when the kitchen is supposed to close…), we offered you to have the Guest House menu which we renew every evening, made of a starter, main course and a desert. The price of this menu is 30€, clearly announced on our website and during your stay. You finally opted for an 'A la Carte' diner finishing at 11 pm with some mint tea and moroccan pastries.
Yes, we are not a restaurant and just as a reminder we are categorized as a guest house/B&B and we do not intend to be classified as a restaurant. We cook fresh products to offer our guests breakfasts, half board diners and even `à la carte´ lunch. Moreover our pricelist is clearly defined on the menu (which is not the custom in Morocco).

After your diner, you then came for advice as you wanted to go out in the medina of Marrakech. I must admit that I was a little worried due to the bombing which just occurred in the morning. I had no updated information about it, it was 11pm and I recommended you to stay in the riad for the rest of evening. The experience that you had in Marrakech during this period was very unfortunate, and we deeply regret it. However, the way you feel about the safety in Marrakech have nothing to do with the riad itself.

The day after, you went out for an excursion outside of Marrakech and I offered you to keep your luggages in a room for the night you were out. You came back from your trip the next day, stayed on the terrace the whole afternoon, relaxing in the swimming pool. You also had lunch with our `A la carte' menu again, and this is why I am really surprised by your comment about the food in your review as at this time, you seemed to enjoy our cuisine a 2nd time and you also shared your satisfaction with myself when we met on the terrace.

The last day of your stay, we had a general water failure from 10am causing the emergency to relocate you. You choose the 5 stars hotel KENZI FARAT as this was close to the station where you had an early morning train scheduled for your departure. I even had to drive you from the hotel to the station to show you how it was easy to go there by walk. I am sure you can understand that some issue can happen but I understood we came to the above agreement in finding a place at your convenience.

As for the comment about the French colonial Ma’am, I will let the people that know me well (including my team who have been working with me for almost 10 years) to have their own appreciation, however I do not feel this title appropriate nor do I think it is fair from you to call me as such especially on TripAdvisor.

If there is anything that was not at your convenience, I am opened for a discussion and any further improvement of our services.

Regards,
Riad Ayadina
Northern Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2010

Christine and her staff looked after us beautifully. The bedrooms were delish with wonderful bathrooms. The public areas were stunning and kept immaculately clean. Breakfast on the terrace was delightful - we even got to take home a pot of their homemade compote. The hamman was worth a visit - we were scrubbed to an inch of our lives with alot of giggling. Speaking french would have made our trip even better!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

Fantastic Riad offering great value for money. I'm very fussy and the décor and ambience exceeded my expectations. Beautiful spotless large room (slept better here than I have in a long time) and a lovely big bathroom with huge bathtub and authentic Moroccan shower (hard to describe but great) The service is fantastic, the only slight problem is they speak very little English but you can get by. Just little things like taxi negotiations would be easier if they spoke English but overall, not a problem. It's about a 25 minute walk to the main square but is actually very easy when you know how (follow the Medina wall) and quite a nice stroll. A taxi is 30 dirhams max (about £2-£2.50) but they always without fail try and charge you 100 dirhams, just give them 30 and walk away, don't even bother discussing it, only encourages them! Finally, they serve a great breakfast of breads, pastries, pancakes, omelette and was a million times better than the 5* hotel we moved onto after 4 nights in Marrakech.

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

I stayed here with my boyfriend in July/August 2008 and we still talk about how fantastic the riad was. Everything down from the beautiful and luxurious rooms to the incredible service from Jamal was perfect.
It may sound a little over the top but it was like a little paradise in the Medina.
The only down side, if you want to be close to the action, is that it's located right on the outskirts of the north side. But as far as we were concerned, we actually preferred it. It's much more tranquil and it takes no time at all to hail a cab (from literally outside the door) to head into the centre or anywhere else you want.
We did walk into Jemaah el Fnaa from the riad - something I would highly recommend. Even though the walk is about 20/30 mins (take a map and lots of water if you go in July like us!), you get to discover the amazing back streets. Forget the over inflated prices and markets of the main square, our walk took us past all the craftsmen making their shoes (you can buy the items from them too, much more cheaply), the ironworks and the clothes makers as well. A much more fascinating glimpse into the heart of Marrakech.
In terms of the riad itself, it feels like your dream home. Our suite was incredible - beautifully decorated with rose petals strewn all over the bed, a copper bath (you reach it through a corridor!), a separate clay shower room and a living room. They do have a tv and music system, but we didn't want to touch it once!
There's also a spa - it's quite small, but blissful.. It's definitely worth trying out one of the hammam treatments (and you get all the products for you to use in the room as well). And a roof top pool.
Best of all, though, was the night my boyfriend and I ate in the riad. They devised a menu with us the day before (checking for anything we might not like) and since the other guests had checked out that morning, we had the place to ourselves. They lit the entire courtyard up with candles and were there to wait on our every need..
Blissfully romantic and one of the best holidays I've ever had. Highly recommend

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad Ayadina? Share your experiences!