“beautiful but not the best location run by French colonial Ma'am!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Ayadina

Save Saved
You added Riad Ayadina to your Saves list
Riad Ayadina
4.0 of 5 Guest house   |   31 Zaouia El Abassia | Kaa El Machraa, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #317 of 1,053 Marrakech B&B and Inns
warlingham ,surrey
“beautiful but not the best location run by French colonial Ma'am!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

Rooms all excellent (we looked) , roof top terrace lovely with small pool , comfortable loungers and well looked after flowers everywhere - haven of peace BUT

not really a restaurant and food limited and expensive in Ayadina -centre of Marrakesh 20mins by taxi away and NO you can't walk in evening.night as dangerous according to Moroccons and French( we were there during the bombing and advice was same before /after) .

The water pipes burst on day before last and we were forced to go to another much worse hotel - Ma'am not very helpful .

also A/C never worked all the stay .

Room Tip: internal facing balcony on upper floors
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
RiadAyadina, Directeur général at Riad Ayadina, responded to this review, May 9, 2011
Dear Kilgore1,

I thank you for your comment and also for the tip that you left about the design and the good atmosphere in Riad Ayadina.

However I am very sorry to read the rest of your review, especially while during your stay, you did not show me any sign of disappointment nor let me feel or told me that there was any problem. On the contrary, you seemed quite happy about our level of service.

You arrived the 1st evening at around 9pm, while the other guests were dining. After showing you around the riad, your room and giving you some directions about Marrakech and its touristic sites, you finally decided to have a diner. It was almost 10pm (time when the kitchen is supposed to close…), we offered you to have the Guest House menu which we renew every evening, made of a starter, main course and a desert. The price of this menu is 30€, clearly announced on our website and during your stay. You finally opted for an 'A la Carte' diner finishing at 11 pm with some mint tea and moroccan pastries.
Yes, we are not a restaurant and just as a reminder we are categorized as a guest house/B&B and we do not intend to be classified as a restaurant. We cook fresh products to offer our guests breakfasts, half board diners and even `à la carte´ lunch. Moreover our pricelist is clearly defined on the menu (which is not the custom in Morocco).

After your diner, you then came for advice as you wanted to go out in the medina of Marrakech. I must admit that I was a little worried due to the bombing which just occurred in the morning. I had no updated information about it, it was 11pm and I recommended you to stay in the riad for the rest of evening. The experience that you had in Marrakech during this period was very unfortunate, and we deeply regret it. However, the way you feel about the safety in Marrakech have nothing to do with the riad itself.

The day after, you went out for an excursion outside of Marrakech and I offered you to keep your luggages in a room for the night you were out. You came back from your trip the next day, stayed on the terrace the whole afternoon, relaxing in the swimming pool. You also had lunch with our `A la carte' menu again, and this is why I am really surprised by your comment about the food in your review as at this time, you seemed to enjoy our cuisine a 2nd time and you also shared your satisfaction with myself when we met on the terrace.

The last day of your stay, we had a general water failure from 10am causing the emergency to relocate you. You choose the 5 stars hotel KENZI FARAT as this was close to the station where you had an early morning train scheduled for your departure. I even had to drive you from the hotel to the station to show you how it was easy to go there by walk. I am sure you can understand that some issue can happen but I understood we came to the above agreement in finding a place at your convenience.

As for the comment about the French colonial Ma’am, I will let the people that know me well (including my team who have been working with me for almost 10 years) to have their own appreciation, however I do not feel this title appropriate nor do I think it is fair from you to call me as such especially on TripAdvisor.

If there is anything that was not at your convenience, I am opened for a discussion and any further improvement of our services.

Regards,
Riad Ayadina

101 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Northern Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2010

Christine and her staff looked after us beautifully. The bedrooms were delish with wonderful bathrooms. The public areas were stunning and kept immaculately clean. Breakfast on the terrace was delightful - we even got to take home a pot of their homemade compote. The hamman was worth a visit - we were scrubbed to an inch of our lives with alot of giggling. Speaking french would have made our trip even better!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

Fantastic Riad offering great value for money. I'm very fussy and the décor and ambience exceeded my expectations. Beautiful spotless large room (slept better here than I have in a long time) and a lovely big bathroom with huge bathtub and authentic Moroccan shower (hard to describe but great) The service is fantastic, the only slight problem is they speak very little English but you can get by. Just little things like taxi negotiations would be easier if they spoke English but overall, not a problem. It's about a 25 minute walk to the main square but is actually very easy when you know how (follow the Medina wall) and quite a nice stroll. A taxi is 30 dirhams max (about £2-£2.50) but they always without fail try and charge you 100 dirhams, just give them 30 and walk away, don't even bother discussing it, only encourages them! Finally, they serve a great breakfast of breads, pastries, pancakes, omelette and was a million times better than the 5* hotel we moved onto after 4 nights in Marrakech.

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

I stayed here with my boyfriend in July/August 2008 and we still talk about how fantastic the riad was. Everything down from the beautiful and luxurious rooms to the incredible service from Jamal was perfect.
It may sound a little over the top but it was like a little paradise in the Medina.
The only down side, if you want to be close to the action, is that it's located right on the outskirts of the north side. But as far as we were concerned, we actually preferred it. It's much more tranquil and it takes no time at all to hail a cab (from literally outside the door) to head into the centre or anywhere else you want.
We did walk into Jemaah el Fnaa from the riad - something I would highly recommend. Even though the walk is about 20/30 mins (take a map and lots of water if you go in July like us!), you get to discover the amazing back streets. Forget the over inflated prices and markets of the main square, our walk took us past all the craftsmen making their shoes (you can buy the items from them too, much more cheaply), the ironworks and the clothes makers as well. A much more fascinating glimpse into the heart of Marrakech.
In terms of the riad itself, it feels like your dream home. Our suite was incredible - beautifully decorated with rose petals strewn all over the bed, a copper bath (you reach it through a corridor!), a separate clay shower room and a living room. They do have a tv and music system, but we didn't want to touch it once!
There's also a spa - it's quite small, but blissful.. It's definitely worth trying out one of the hammam treatments (and you get all the products for you to use in the room as well). And a roof top pool.
Best of all, though, was the night my boyfriend and I ate in the riad. They devised a menu with us the day before (checking for anything we might not like) and since the other guests had checked out that morning, we had the place to ourselves. They lit the entire courtyard up with candles and were there to wait on our every need..
Blissfully romantic and one of the best holidays I've ever had. Highly recommend

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2009

Me and my wife stayed in this wonderful Riad for the first time. Normally we're rather in high end hotels, but we wanted to give it the typical Marrakech touch and chose a Riad instead.
Everything was perfect, the entire Riad is a Gem in terms of decoration, Christine the owner is everywhere to make your stay most pleasant, the Restaurant is small but delicious and an extraordinary setting, Spa & Hammam small but really giving you that private, intimate extra touch;
We can only highly recommend this Gem for everyone looking for the one and true Marrakech atmosphere

Veit & Virginie

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2009

Staying a few nights in riad was very interesting experience. We stayed our first four nights in Suite hotel Marrakech, located in Hivernage area. Then, because we wanted to feel the atmosphere of the Medina, we changed our hotel to Riad Ayadina. Actually the location was the biggest disappointment. The walking trip to Jemaa el Fna took over thirty minutes because the riad stands in the most northern corner of the medina. Of course it was our fault that we didn't check this before choosing Ayadina, but still.. That's why I think there is many better riads in Marrakech.

However, Ayadina was very beautifully decorated and the mood was very relaxing. Our room, Antique suite, was very spacious and well-designed (and we loved the tiny cookies that were served in our room!). But I think the best of the bests in this riad is the roof terrace! It was stunning to eat the breakfast above the roofs when sun shined warmly. Those are the moments from Morocco that I still look back. The breakfast was wonderful: chocolate sandwitches, baton, pancakes, omelet.. We were almost spoiled by pampering! The swimming pool was the other disappointment - the temperature was something like 25'c (which I think quite hot) but it was still fall out of use.

The negative things.. I have to say, If you don't speak french at all, you're in trouble. Our english skills were almost useless. Only one person of the hole staff spoke english. Every communication had to do with making gestures which was a little annoying sometimes. But there's one waiter that can't be blamed on not to trying. On our last evening we ordered the full dinner menu that we enjoyed just with our family in the small dinning room. Sayid, the waiter, spoke only french but he was so sweet trying his hardest to make us feel cosy. After all, the evening was very memorable and in the end mr Sayid charmed us for following us to our walking trip at the night and making sure we're safe. Very fantastic behaviour for him!

The time management was the other thing that included some troubles. Everytime when we arranged a meeting with the owner, she was always either too early or too late. On our last morning we asked one waiter call a taxi to us. He promised, and then went to the downstairs. We sat on the terrace fifteen minutes and nothing happened. Finally my dad went to the downstairs too - and found the waiter watering a plants like nothing happened. A little weird, I guess.

But for all that, riad Ayadina left the good impression and I really think this riad is worth of money.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2009

We stayed here in spring 2007, so I am a little late with this review. However, I wanted to say that I think that this Riad deserves to be much higher in the popularity index. Our room (Alicia) was the most atmospheric room that I have ever stayed in. When we arrived, this was enhanced by the smoky atmosphere from the incense that was burning. There were also fresh flowers and fruit. The Riad as a whole was beautiful.

Breakfast on the roof terrace was delicious but the evening meals served in the courtyard even better. We tried a number of the 'best' restaurants in Marrakech but the food in the Riad far surpassed them. The hammam was a great experience, leaving my skin in better condition than any expensive spa treatment I have had previously. Staff were all friendly and helpful. As for the location, you can take a taxi or enjoy the experience of getting lost!

• Liked — The food and the atmosphere
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Riad Ayadina? Share your experiences!