“Should be internationally rated 2**” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Riad La Maison Rouge

Save Saved
You added Riad La Maison Rouge to your Saves list
Riad La Maison Rouge
4.0 of 5 Guest house   |   No 54 Bis Derb Zemrane | Quartier Berrima, Marrakech 40008, Morocco   |
Ranked #442 of 1,046 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Oslo, Norway
“Should be internationally rated 2**”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Probably a good standard hotel for this part of the world, but I would otherwise look at it as a two star hotel. An open door between the bedroom and toilet, and a quite shabby room. A short stroll away from the main attractions. Okay breakfast on the roof, nice setting in the evening with the sunset, but don't eat your dinner here.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
maisonrougemarrakech, Manager at Riad La Maison Rouge, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Thank you for your comment, I'm quite sad that you didin't enjoy your stay with us.
I just want to point that the "open door" between bedroom and bathroom, is what we call here Moucharabieh, it is a typical morrocan door, that were used in house who alloud women to see but not to be seen, sorry that you didn t notice and appreciate the door style.
You mention that your room was shabby, that is a personnal appreciation who seems not to be a general one.
And I invite guest to read comments made on time, I just want to point that you stay from 21 to 24 mars 2012 and that your comment has been done 9 month later.....
One more time, thank you for your comment.

187 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Thanks for a great stay right near all the action. I wish we could have stayed longer. Lovely helpful staff who went out of their way to help us get orientated. We loved the rooftop pool Thank you. We would highly recommend this hotel and loved the honesty bar. Hope it works for you as well.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your appreciation. Staff is very grateful for your kind appreciation, and hope to welcome you again for a future stay,
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I thought this riad was excellent value in a quite location in Berrima quater close to the Bahia palace 10-15 mins and the Mellah (Jewish Quarter). On arrival the staff could not find our reservation but this was solved quite quickly. The riad is not signposted off the main street so we had to get a couple of locals to show us. Our first room was vermillon (on the ground level) and we spent the first night there, however the room was quite damp and we could smell the damp when coming back from dinner. The next day we were moved to Petrus which was much better, quite a bit bigger and no damp. Thiery the manager was very obliguing and helpful. Breakfast on the terrace was lovely with excellet cake and freshly squeezed orange juice. The two pointers to note that the staff are very nice but dont speak much english so if your french or Arabic is basic you might struggle a bit.Secondly the location - although in a quieter area of the old city, it is a real walk to the main square 25 mins plus and more to the Souks. Overall great value so would recommend but pack comfy shoes.

Room Tip: I would recommend spending a bit more and not going for a standard room. Petrus was lovely or Cardin...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
maisonrougemarrakech, Manager at Riad La Maison Rouge, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you very much for your feed back.
We apologise for not finding your booking, but this problem has been solved quickly (mystery of internet.....).
We always try to upgrade our customer when it is possible, and we really appreciate the fact that you have enjoyed it.
Walking distance from the main square is 15mn more or less, it depends the way you walk, but I invite you to check google map to see where we are, like that you will not be surprised by walking distance.
As you have mention it, our staff speaks english as best as he can and staff really enjoy talking with guest to improove it. You don t need to speak arabic to visit us..!!!
Thank you for your visit, we hope to welcome you again
Thierry and all the staff
Cape Coral, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We had a great time here. Loved the rooftop pool. It was very clean and the rooms were decorated beautifully. The staff was friendly and the location was very convenient within a short taxi ride to all worth seeing. I would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your kind comment.
We hope to welcome you again for a future stay
Woking, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

We stayed as a family of four in two rooms on the second floor. The rooms were clean and airconditioned n this level. The pool and terrace are so comfortable and peaceful even though you are in a main city you can't hear anything except the birds in the tres of the courtyard. We loved the honesty bar and the laid back approach to our stay. We had a lovely time and enjoyed some delicious food. The owner was very helpful and considerate as were his staff who went out of their way to help us. Yes the walk to the main square is a little hair rasing but all walks in Morocco are!! The square is not that far away and you can easily get a taxi or horse drawn carriage ride back if your energy is sapped by the heat. Breakfast was great and is available from 8.00am -11.00am so lazy mornings are great. The toilet did develop a slight flush issue but this was soon rectified when mentioned and no further issues with the plumbing. Thierry organised a great trip to the three valleys for us (extra cost) on the last day and we had a fantastic time. Thanks to everyone for making our holiday!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
We appreciate your comment, nothing to say more, except that we hope to see you again in the future!!!
Australian in Nice
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

Stayed at La Maison Rouge June 2012.

Pros:
- Great service
- Sufficient breakfast (and you may ask if you want something more)
- Beautiful decor
- Rooftop pool! (you really need this in Marrakech)

Cons:
- On the threshold of being too far away from Jemaa El Fna. Although I say this because I was walking in 43 degree heat. I'm sure in cooler weather the walk is much easier. Also, I think because the Riad is not next to the central square, it's quieter and safer
- In total, 5 cockroaches spotted and killed by me

Overall, for the price it was a great place, a little far when it is hot, but the service was great. If you need something, anything, just ask and the staff will be very happy to help you.

Room Tip: Make sure your room isn't on the terrace at the top. Otherwise you may be bothered by breakfast...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Gérant at Riad La Maison Rouge, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your opinion, and we thank you for putting in front the positive points, for the other points that have been mentioned already, I invite you to read below the answers to your remarks.
The entire team thanks you for your contribution and hope to see you at an upcoming trip.
Thierry
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

It is 7am in the morning after 3 nights. I cannot sleep for fear of cockroaches. After having killed two already in days previous, I woke this morning only to find a other scuttling about. I am deathly afraid of cockroaches but it really is just unpleasant - after staying in hotels, hostels, bnbs, guesthouses for months of travelling this is the first time I've had one (let alone three) cockroach as a roommate. It doesn't matter if you pay a little or a lot for a room, you should not have to be afraid of roaches creeping on your feet or coming at you from under the sink :(
But if you like roaches then let me give a full pro and con run down of what I've experienced thus far.
Pros: like an oasis, it's a joy to step into the riad after a hot walk back from downtown. Quiet, birds chirping. The place is nice, simply but effectively decorated with nice lounges outside the room. No chairs or anything of the sort in our room but it was not such a problem. The room is okay, just a bed and small
Niche for things like glasses, phone etc.
Amazing terrace! Pool was great. Many chairs, straw hats. Free Pool Towels were a bit dirty though, some stains. Honesty bar is a good idea though there was only coke, coke light, one fanta, orange juice, more drinks would have been nice. Staff very friendly, helpful ESP. When we brought back a watermelon, helped us cut and store it. Wifi is ok. Guides to marrakech in bookshelf were very useful. Breakfast consists of bread butter that processed laughing cow cheese two types of jam (fig and marmalade for us, possibly homemade and delicious!) some sweetbread and some sort of square pancake (but not really a pancake). Yoghurt cereal fresh OJ coffee tea fresh fruit. Not bad at all. But after a day the cracks begin to show.
Cons: water doesn't drain in shower. Accidentally flooded bathroom yesterday. Takes ages for water to go down. Otherwise my feet are swimming in shower water for most of the shower.
It's quite a long and harrassing walk to get anywhere. I don't know how long it takes exactly (see other reviews) but first two days I was not handling the whole walking on the road sharing with every other vehicle imaginable - honking and whizzing by you are motorcycles scooters cars and they're literally cms away. So, it is too far by my standards esp. On a 43 degree day. There's little to be gained by staying so far away.
Safe is provided, but no lock on door which is I guess a thing based on trust but still a little uneasy.
Quite a bare room. Carpets on the tiled floor did not look clean. Bed is average at best. Nice big mirror. Small niches as bedside tables was nice. No tables or chairs. Not a huge problem but a little annoying nonetheless. I know this is in pros but could also belong here.
Cockroaches. Big nasty ones. Not cool. This is why I cannot sleep. Since there's nowhere to put our things, our bags are on the floor. I wonder if there are any roaches in my bag who will hitch a ride with me to the next city. I now keep a shoe wrapped in paper, ready to smack a cockroach should it come too close.
Overall mixed feelings. I wouldn't stay here again due to bugs and distance from things. I hate to write bad things and is nothing personal as staff were lovely but I simply cannot sleep for fear of cockroaches.
Thanks for the stay so far though! Most things are very pleasant.

• Stayed June 2012
, Gérant at Riad La Maison Rouge, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
Thank you for your testimony very detailed and colorful, which remains positive.
However in order to moderate your comments and especially to complement your writing, I must clarify a few general order and respond to the comments highlighted.
I'm sorry you had cockroaches in your room, and despite preventive treatments that we set up regularly to prevent such incidents, which I grant you, is not very pleasant. However, we are African countries, in Old Town, in stormy weather and hot, and it may happen that some unwanted visitors pass through the protections put in place. That said this is not a generality and that can happen wherever you are in all hotels of the world.

I will now address the points raised:
- We offer complimentary towels at your disposal so you can enjoy the pool, they are washed and renewed the request for each client, and it is always with pleasure that the staff will offer you another towel if you ask, but it is possible that some sunscreens leave traces that are resistant to washing, but they remain presentable and usable, it does not detract from their primary function is to wipe. This towel service has made ​​available, that have no purpose, lighten your luggage especially if you only have hand luggage. In any case you can travel with your own towel, or buy one in the many shops around.

-No-water drain in your shower: Simply open the drain, and water flows .....

-House away: It's pretty easy to determine where is the Red House, I remind you that we are located on google map, there is also a plan on our website and on all sites resellers. The main attractions are nearby. It might have been wise to be looking at the map before booking, so that you are closer to your interests points.

- Cockroaches: After being showered you simply close the drain in the shower. It is to avoid such problems that the evacuations of the bathrooms are sealed. Also be sure not to bring food to your room, so you do not have food waste that attract such visitors. We put plastic bags at your disposal in order not to leave them outdoors.

Finally I remind you that you can meet me for breakfast, or to my office to tell me about your problems or happyness to stay with us, you can always keep in touch with me, or with our housekeeper, which we find a solution. We do not remind a claim visit, if so, measures were taken to answer your request.

I'm sorry we have not met your expectations malgrès our good will, and to make the right decisions when booking your future, I invite you to choose your next hotel based on comments and responses as well as services made. Likewise I invite you to contact the manager when you are not satisfied with the service provided, in order to remedy, and not leaving the place with bad feelings.
Customer satisfaction is our priority.
One more time thank you for your report, who anyway is quite positif.
Thierry
Manager

Been to Riad La Maison Rouge? Share your experiences!