“Beautiful Riad and helpful staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Riad La Maison Rouge

You added Riad La Maison Rouge to your Saves list
Riad La Maison Rouge
4.0 of 5 Guest house   |   No 54 Bis Derb Zemrane | Quartier Berrima, Marrakech 40008, Morocco   |
Ranked #553 of 1,134 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Australian in Nice
“Beautiful Riad and helpful staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

Stayed at La Maison Rouge June 2012.

Pros:
- Great service
- Sufficient breakfast (and you may ask if you want something more)
- Beautiful decor
- Rooftop pool! (you really need this in Marrakech)

Cons:
- On the threshold of being too far away from Jemaa El Fna. Although I say this because I was walking in 43 degree heat. I'm sure in cooler weather the walk is much easier. Also, I think because the Riad is not next to the central square, it's quieter and safer
- In total, 5 cockroaches spotted and killed by me

Overall, for the price it was a great place, a little far when it is hot, but the service was great. If you need something, anything, just ask and the staff will be very happy to help you.

Room Tip: Make sure your room isn't on the terrace at the top. Otherwise you may be bothered by breakfast...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Gérant at Riad La Maison Rouge, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your opinion, and we thank you for putting in front the positive points, for the other points that have been mentioned already, I invite you to read below the answers to your remarks.
The entire team thanks you for your contribution and hope to see you at an upcoming trip.
Thierry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

It is 7am in the morning after 3 nights. I cannot sleep for fear of cockroaches. After having killed two already in days previous, I woke this morning only to find a other scuttling about. I am deathly afraid of cockroaches but it really is just unpleasant - after staying in hotels, hostels, bnbs, guesthouses for months of travelling this is the first time I've had one (let alone three) cockroach as a roommate. It doesn't matter if you pay a little or a lot for a room, you should not have to be afraid of roaches creeping on your feet or coming at you from under the sink :(
But if you like roaches then let me give a full pro and con run down of what I've experienced thus far.
Pros: like an oasis, it's a joy to step into the riad after a hot walk back from downtown. Quiet, birds chirping. The place is nice, simply but effectively decorated with nice lounges outside the room. No chairs or anything of the sort in our room but it was not such a problem. The room is okay, just a bed and small
Niche for things like glasses, phone etc.
Amazing terrace! Pool was great. Many chairs, straw hats. Free Pool Towels were a bit dirty though, some stains. Honesty bar is a good idea though there was only coke, coke light, one fanta, orange juice, more drinks would have been nice. Staff very friendly, helpful ESP. When we brought back a watermelon, helped us cut and store it. Wifi is ok. Guides to marrakech in bookshelf were very useful. Breakfast consists of bread butter that processed laughing cow cheese two types of jam (fig and marmalade for us, possibly homemade and delicious!) some sweetbread and some sort of square pancake (but not really a pancake). Yoghurt cereal fresh OJ coffee tea fresh fruit. Not bad at all. But after a day the cracks begin to show.
Cons: water doesn't drain in shower. Accidentally flooded bathroom yesterday. Takes ages for water to go down. Otherwise my feet are swimming in shower water for most of the shower.
It's quite a long and harrassing walk to get anywhere. I don't know how long it takes exactly (see other reviews) but first two days I was not handling the whole walking on the road sharing with every other vehicle imaginable - honking and whizzing by you are motorcycles scooters cars and they're literally cms away. So, it is too far by my standards esp. On a 43 degree day. There's little to be gained by staying so far away.
Safe is provided, but no lock on door which is I guess a thing based on trust but still a little uneasy.
Quite a bare room. Carpets on the tiled floor did not look clean. Bed is average at best. Nice big mirror. Small niches as bedside tables was nice. No tables or chairs. Not a huge problem but a little annoying nonetheless. I know this is in pros but could also belong here.
Cockroaches. Big nasty ones. Not cool. This is why I cannot sleep. Since there's nowhere to put our things, our bags are on the floor. I wonder if there are any roaches in my bag who will hitch a ride with me to the next city. I now keep a shoe wrapped in paper, ready to smack a cockroach should it come too close.
Overall mixed feelings. I wouldn't stay here again due to bugs and distance from things. I hate to write bad things and is nothing personal as staff were lovely but I simply cannot sleep for fear of cockroaches.
Thanks for the stay so far though! Most things are very pleasant.

• Stayed June 2012
, Gérant at Riad La Maison Rouge, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
Thank you for your testimony very detailed and colorful, which remains positive.
However in order to moderate your comments and especially to complement your writing, I must clarify a few general order and respond to the comments highlighted.
I'm sorry you had cockroaches in your room, and despite preventive treatments that we set up regularly to prevent such incidents, which I grant you, is not very pleasant. However, we are African countries, in Old Town, in stormy weather and hot, and it may happen that some unwanted visitors pass through the protections put in place. That said this is not a generality and that can happen wherever you are in all hotels of the world.

I will now address the points raised:
- We offer complimentary towels at your disposal so you can enjoy the pool, they are washed and renewed the request for each client, and it is always with pleasure that the staff will offer you another towel if you ask, but it is possible that some sunscreens leave traces that are resistant to washing, but they remain presentable and usable, it does not detract from their primary function is to wipe. This towel service has made ​​available, that have no purpose, lighten your luggage especially if you only have hand luggage. In any case you can travel with your own towel, or buy one in the many shops around.

-No-water drain in your shower: Simply open the drain, and water flows .....

-House away: It's pretty easy to determine where is the Red House, I remind you that we are located on google map, there is also a plan on our website and on all sites resellers. The main attractions are nearby. It might have been wise to be looking at the map before booking, so that you are closer to your interests points.

- Cockroaches: After being showered you simply close the drain in the shower. It is to avoid such problems that the evacuations of the bathrooms are sealed. Also be sure not to bring food to your room, so you do not have food waste that attract such visitors. We put plastic bags at your disposal in order not to leave them outdoors.

Finally I remind you that you can meet me for breakfast, or to my office to tell me about your problems or happyness to stay with us, you can always keep in touch with me, or with our housekeeper, which we find a solution. We do not remind a claim visit, if so, measures were taken to answer your request.

I'm sorry we have not met your expectations malgrès our good will, and to make the right decisions when booking your future, I invite you to choose your next hotel based on comments and responses as well as services made. Likewise I invite you to contact the manager when you are not satisfied with the service provided, in order to remedy, and not leaving the place with bad feelings.
Customer satisfaction is our priority.
One more time thank you for your report, who anyway is quite positif.
Manager
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

Having read the other reviews, we booked a taxi from the airport to take us straight to the hotel, so no problem there. We loved the location, it was quiet and away from the craziness of the main square, but near enough to walk pretty much anywhere. The staff were delightully friendly and helpful, and made us feel that we were staying in a friend's house. The room was extremely clean and we loved the decor. We had a junior suite which was plenty big enough for us and our two children age 9 and 12. Breakfast on the roof terrace was idyllic and the swimming pool was actually much bigger than it looks in the pictures, and certainly big enough for us all to swim not just splash! One evening Hesna cooked a fantastic traditional meal for us, eaten on the roof terrace under a fool moon-it was wonderful. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a flavour of real Morocco, but with the safety and security of a home form home base.

Room Tip: Ours was called Cardinal and was lovely,but they all looked nice!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
maisonrougemarrakech, General Manager at Riad La Maison Rouge, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind feedback.
All the staff and myself really enjoy that you have appreciated your stay with us, especially airport transfer, diner/lunch cooked at the riad, and the pool.
We hope to welcome you again for a future stay.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

Stage II of mine and my boyfriends Moroccan adventure. After having stayed in a conventional non-friendly hotel in Casablanca we wanted something more Moroccan and smaller. We found this hotel absolutely delightful - even though it took 90mins of driving around Marrakesh and asking about 50 people where to find the place!! (tip - google map the place before setting off!)

We were greeted by the smell of orange blossom and incense and very friendly staff (even though they had written down my boyfriends name down wrong and weren't convinced at first we had made a booking!). The rooms have a cozy rustic feel to them, beds are very comfortable. All rooms overlook the typical Moroccan style inside garden, which is gorgeous but very noisy in the mornings. No noises are blocked out in the rooms, although they do have good blinds. The staff are exceptionally kind and helpful even though we must have been very annoying by always oversleeping breakfast time, but the staff were kind enough to keep our breakfast out until midday! The dining area is on the top of the house, decorated with beautiful flowers and with a cool swimming pool overlooking the city and Atlas mountains. The location was also very good for seeing old Marrakesh, it is within walking distance to the squares, souks and famous sites. The hotel is run by a Frenchman who gave us exceptionally good advice on places to visit and where to continue our trip.

Overall the experience was amazing and I would recommend this place to anyone looking for a picturesque and peaceful hotel with lovely staff!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
maisonrougemarrakech, Gérant at Riad La Maison Rouge, responded to this review, June 2, 2012
Dear Sashita,
Thank you very much four your feedback. We are very happy that you have enjoyed your stay with us.
Good tip to have a look on google map when you come with a car, we have pointed La Maison Rouge on the map, so you can use your Gps, or have a look before departure.
As you have pointed it, the view on the mountain is awesome, and the pool on the roof is happiness especially in summer.
We hope to see you again,
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

My friend and I stayed here in Feb 2012. All I can say is it was lovely all the staff were helpful, nothing seemed too much. Yes it is a bit diificult to find at first, but that added to the experience of Marrakech. I would definately stay again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your comment, We are pleased that you enjoy your stay at La Maison Rouge, and we hope to see you again on a future stay.
Thierry and all the staff
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

Riad La Maison Rouge is okay.

It's only average to me because the location is really confusing to get to. It's like a mouse maze getting there but you have other mice trying to force you to give up your cheese! By this I mean it wouldn't be so bad if the kids and bystanders were not CONSTANTLY haggling to show you to the Riad then to ask you for money. Eventually, we had an okay grasp of the area and late at night there were security guys walking around to make sure no funny business was going on.

For what you pay it's a good Riad (clean, nice decor). Its just not as lavish as some other Riads (who have indoor pools at the entrance etc...) but for the price you pay it is a good experience.

I think the customer service is generally good. We just had a mix up where they lost our Expedia reservation and also charged us more for tourism tax. Not sure if it was intentional but they are generally good. They fixed it and we still had a good time.

Room Tip: Make sure you take not of the tourism tax at the end of the your stay. Have some money on hand to pa...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
maisonrougemarrakech, Gérant at Riad La Maison Rouge, responded to this review, May 9, 2012
Dear Truman,
Thank you for your comments.
About location of the riad, you just have to check our website to point where we are located, or just have a look on google it is easy to find, and anyway we provide you free maps on arrival.
You seems to be bored by people who always ask money, but it is like in all "poor" country, where all the ways are good to earn money, not more, not less.
I m very glad that you point the security effort that we provide in the district, not that it is unsafe, but just to help guest at night, because everything look the same.
You seems to be upset because the pool is not indoor but on the terrace, that our specificity!! our difference!!!
I explain, when the pool is indoor, it s most of the time on shadow place, and if you are tanning you have to go down on the ground level, and then upstair to go on a sun bed....in our house sunbeds are on the terrace and splash pool too. Our main picture on expedia is the pool on the terrace.....may be you didn t note it.....
About your booking we didn t receive it, sometimes it happens, but for accomodation tax that we charge you at the end of your stay, all along the process of booking with Expedia, you have some pop up windows who remind you that you will have to pay these taxes on site. May be you didn t note it........
I will point the fact that you wrote: "Make sure you take not of the tourism tax at the end of the your stay. Have some money on hand to pay it off.” I invite you to pay this taxe, especially when you book with expedia, or you can get in trouble. I just remind you that it is a tax collected by townhall of Marrakech, and that it is a mandatory tax.
We hope to welcome you again.
Barcelona, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

This riad is really great, we stayed here for 3 nights with a friend and spent some quiet and nice moments in their lovely terrace. The room was also nice and clean.
As for the staff, they have all been really helpful, smiling...well nice people!
The only things I could say is that it would have been even better if the swimming pool had been heated...but that's really a little thing...all the rest was perfect.
Another thing also is the distance to Djema El Fnaa, it's about 15/20/25mn, depends on how you get lost (or not!), and at night we would have appreciated being closer (even if during the day being a little bit outside the noise of the center can be great)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for encouraging comments.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay at the La Maison Rouge.
The pool is located on the terrace, and enjoys sunshine all day, allowing it to gain a few degrees warmer.
Thank you again for your encouragement,
Thierry and the team

Been to Riad La Maison Rouge? Share your experiences!