The Hotel is what is says on the can - a budget hotel. We got a double room with a balcony. Overall I was happy with my stay. a few minor issues but nothing from the hotel that spoilt the trip. The Good Vs Bad review below is for the hotel....
- Staff were always friendly. Some of them had trouble speaking English and I couldn't speak Arabic or french, but we managed well. Where speaking and hand signals didn't work, just writing it down helped.
- The do a killer Moroccan mint tea!!
- The hotel is 30 - 45 minute walk to Jama al Fna (the square); 20-30 mins to the main train station and about 45 mins to the Menra.
- The red open top sight seeing bus is only 10 minutes from the hotel. Walk up to the main road and turn right and walk down a bit till you come to a red golf umbrella. Despite being so close one of the reception staff didn't know about it and nearly sent us up to the Jama al Fna, even though they had the map at reception the other day.
- The curtains were like hard paper and I had to hook the end so it closed properly.
- The glass under the mirror was about to fall off!
As for the country... it is crazy! So many poor people. some even run after you asking for money/food when they know you are a tourist. Prices are quoted at 5 times what they actually sell for and they expect you to bargain... all the time... it is very exhaustive going shopping if you are not used to bargaining for everything all the time. Don't be shy to start at 1/5 of the price they quote, i.e. if they say 100Dhs start at 20 Dhs and never pay more than half the price they start at. I found wearing their tunic with the hood helped with this problem a bit... well at least until I started to talk and said 'only english'.
In the end it is a country that offers a lot of sights, sounds and smells (good and bad). It is worth a visit, but be smart, the locals here aren't as innocent as they seem. But then again they are very poor and probably trying to make as much as they can.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Tingo, Travelocity, Agoda, TripOnline SA and Venere so you can book your Hotel le Caspien reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Le Caspien Hotel
- Le Caspien Marrakech