“Five Stars NOT” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #385 of 480 Hotels in Marrakech
calgary
“Five Stars NOT”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

We spent two nights here and at first glance were excited about being at this hotel. It is conveniently located in the centre of town and close to the Medina. Our room was quite spacious and we had lovely comfortable beds with lovely linen. The bathroom was something out of the 70's - walk in shower stall that was very small and leaked all over the floor when in use...the toilet did not flush well at all and as usual there were issues with burned out bulbs, etc. Wifi did not work in the room either, only downstairs. Food again was buffet style and for the most part bland western style food, poorly presented, tasteless and uninteresting. The only thing that it had going for it was its lovely pool and gardens. We managed to spend a couple of hours there every day and did enjoy that.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

I made a reservation for 2 rooms weeks before I arrived to Marrakesh as I used to stay in the Royal Mirage hotel chain in Marrakesh and Dubai. Therefore,
I was excerpting the same thing in the one at Hirvinage, but I proofed myself wrong, my stay was absolutely catastrophic since the first day I arrived.

I arrived on the 14th of April and immediately noticed that the hotel is tired and overworked, surely, no refurbishment or maintenance has been made since the hotel was built; the rooms were filthy full of dust, the laminated flooring all scratched, the bathroom tiles cracked, downstairs at the lift smelly and very old, the pool area is slippery, little step from the back to the restaurant is not safe, I hurt my toe badly... .....I had to leave on the 17th even I made a booking for 7 days because it was just dull and depressing...

I reserved 2 rooms half broad arriving at 19.30 after a long drive from Casablanca, I was looking forward a nice meal, I thought it would be a buffet with a good choice and range of food, but it was NOTHING, one waiter struggling to serve only 3 tables, It was shocking, I went to the receptionist asking him about the restaurant, he told me that the hotel receives several customers complaining but it's nothing the staff can do, it's the fault of the managers, after hearing this, I tried to reserve a table in Alfasia restaurant which was fully booked also tried to book another hotel but unfortunately it was Easter holiday and all Marrakesh is fully booked.

Next day at the pool, my children ordered pizza with artichoke and black olives as menu-ed which took 2hrs to arrive, but it was topped with peas and carrots instead.

The worst come to the worse I was charged extra 750DH for food that I could not eat and the manager Adil promised to refund. the receptionist called him many times but it was in vain, Adil decided not to answer and no other managers in the hotel at this busy time of the year. Finally, I was told to pay and claim afterwards.

This is really embarrassing service to your guests, could you please reimburse my 750DH asap.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

I have recently spent 3 nights at the Royal Mirage Deluxe Hotel in Marrakech with 2 friends. The Hotel is in a great location, close to the Medina and has a lovely swimming pool and surrounding garden but that is where everything good ends. The entrance is quite impressive on the ground floor but the decor everywhere else is rather faded. The air conditioning in my room did not work for 2 days and the toilet seat was broken - unsecured which would have been very dangerous for an elderly person as it was necessary to hold the seat on! I made around 8 or 9 calls about this over 3 days and yet when I departed on the 4th day it had still not been fixed in spite of one of the managers expressing disbelief at the situation.

The bathrooms were old and stained with dirty tiles - all quite disappointing.

The buffet breakfast service was terrible with shortage of glasses, cups etc and having to ask staff to clear tables, get glasses etc. We decided to have a snack lunch by the pool on one of the days and my friends ordered club sandwiches which came with mouldy pickles - so rancid they were inedible and I ordered a salad nicoise which came with no dressing. The lunch was accompanied by sachets of mayonnaise and ketchup!

The hotel professes to be 4 star - perhaps it was once upon a time but it is certainly not now.

The owners are missing a great opportunity here because as I said the location and garden and pool are good but the interior and service and food offering really let it down.

Room Tip: I did not see any other rooms but ask for a quiet area as the first night we were all kept awake by...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

Its a great compromise between the really nice but incredibly expensive other hotels in the centre, as its reasonably priced and in a great location. But it looks a little tired now and needs a refurb especially the rooms. The showers look like they came straight out of the 70's. Although the worst bit was the service...we tried to have lunch by the pool (although the pool is excellent), and despite the waiter walking past us constantly and even acknowledging us after 30 mins of no menu we left and had lunch elsewhere...even the front desk didn't seem to care too much about it

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

Following a great experience only one year ago, I am currently stating again at this hotel and must say the service has dropped beyond being acceptable.

I would find somewhere else if you would like working toilets, towels in your rooms and door knobs that don't break your feet!

Very disappointed.

• Stayed April 2014
Salzburg, Austria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

We booked this hotel through the internet hoping for a relaxing and comfortable stopover. Unluckily it is not worth its money. Breakfast is moderate, rooms are average (definately 4 stars max), the pool is nice though and the manager was friendly. Location is too far from the Medina, taxis are very expensive (5€ one-way).

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Went with this option at the last min. Thinking it would be part of the same group pf Royal mirages in Dubai and boy was i wrong!

Service 4/10
Cleanliness - 3/10
Wifi - 2/10
Location of hotel - 8/10
Room Size - 6/10
Room design and interior - 2/10

Bottom line - Dont bother and only god knows how this hotel got 5 stars. Seriously more like 3.
Move to the Kenzi hotel which was great!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal Mirage Deluxe Marrakech? Share your experiences!