“Couldn't disagree with the negative reviews more!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Palais Mehdi

Save Saved
You added Palais Mehdi to your Saves list
Palais Mehdi
5.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Palmeraie de Marrakech | Circuit de la palmeraie, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #538 of 1,046 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Couldn't disagree with the negative reviews more!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

The only negative comment that I would make about this hotel is that they undersell the amenties that they have on site. The brand new spa is fabulous and the staff so eager to please. The new gym was equipped with state of the art equipment and plenty of it (considering the relatively small size of the room.) Eggs are available at breakfast if you ask - otherwise breakfast is a tad carbohydrate heavy for someone watching their weight like me! The lunch menu is more varied than the dinner menu and the Moroccan dishes are excellent. I would recommend using either the hotel transport or taxis ordered by them. Both charge a fair rate for the 15 minute ride into the city centre. The local yellow taxis do not!! The drivers are out to fleece the tourists and my one experience of hiring one left a very nasty taste ... I thought the hotel prided itself on its cleanliness and all the common parts/gardens were very well maintained. I would stay in this hotel again and hope to have the opportunity to do so. Oh - and the Dalmatian puppies are to die for! Footnote: if you do the Faim d'epices/Mythic Spa combo I would definitely recommend having the hotel spa Hammam Gommage treatment (I think that is what it is called) a day or so before visiting Mythic Spa.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

78 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Deal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

We booked through Voyage Prive and I later looked at reviews. I was actually dreading going.
We were shown to our suite (upgraded) which was fine, decent size, clean. My husband then went to look at a deluxe suite and was stupid enough to show it to me. Stunning! Huge beautifully decorated sitting room, good entrance hall ,fab bathroom with jacuzzi bath (not tried -I don't like them) and separate shower, and large bedroom. Patio doors front and back to patios and gardens. We chose to pay for the deluxe suite- our choice, the other room was fine. We ate in the hotel each lunch time and everything we had was delicious and we did not think overpriced.Better quality wine than in a Kempinski in Turkey at 25% less.
Great jazz club/ restaurant (the Block- must book for Sats) 10 min walk away with jolly good food and including 2 bottles Chablis was £80 for 2.
We loved the location being outside of the city. It was so peaceful and relaxing.
I would suggest anyone thinking of booking, to think Relais Chateaux rather than huge hotel chain. It just depends what you prefer. I would also suggest factoring in the upgrade, if not too busy there, negotiate a price.
All the staff were charming, helpful and friendly. Whenever drinks were ordered they always came with big plate of olives/ nuts/etc.
Take trip into Atlas mountains- just brilliant
We will be going back next year as we loved our 4 days there.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

Beautiful lush hotel
Friendly staff
Tasty breakfast
Spotless room and hotel
A real treasure! I can't wait to go again

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Our suite (booked through Voyage Prive), although roomy and with a lovely view of gardens, was certainly 'tired' and the air conditioning unit was ill positioned so we found it blew cold air straight at our faces as we slept (even when we set the airflow directly downwards the 'fins' would always change position at some point to fire a cold blast directly across the room at us!). It was also noisy even when on 'low' meaning that we were either cold/awake or boiling hot/awake each night of our stay. The bed, though large, was hard and uncomfortable.

Our major concern was the lack of customer service. The waiting staff lacked initiative and never once asked us if we needed drinks etc when we were relaxing in the gardens, and we always needed to go in to find some to ask for a drink or menu. Apart from the gentleman who showed us to our room on the first evening who was very polite and helpful, the hotel's drive and the manager of the spa (who had a vested interest in encouraging us to book treatments), we found the staff we had contact with to be charmless, unfriendly and in some cases unhelpful. I suspect this could have been down to our lack of French, but this hotel classes itself as 5 star, so I feel friendly, proactive, helpful staff should come as part of the package - it certainly wasn't the case here.

What a pity as it could be such a lovely hotel - a real oasis away from the bustle of the city centre.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
south devon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

we were not sure what to expect when we booked this holiday through voyage prive a fairly new internet booking service. it promised a 5 star hotel, a suite with a free upgrade if available!
The room we were shown when we arrived was absolutely disgusting, rising damp, threadbare carpet, there was no way you could put clothes in the wardrobe because of the smell of damp. The bathroom and shower, hmm lets just say the shower was a hand held attached to the taps. we were indignantely informed that is was a "morrocan antique" it sure was old but I don't think any self respecting antique shop would have it for sale. although this room was classed as a suite, it was actually one room with a wooden divider between the bed and the sofa, suite I don't think so!.
We did get upgraded but only by paying the hotel an extra €500 they tried to make us pay €700 but negotiated down. The room was lovely but it increased the cost of the holiday a lot. We contacted voyage prive to complain whilst we were still there but they did not help us and we had to pay the difference!
the response we got from them was that the hotel had offered us an upgrade and we refused!! we were only offered the one room and if that was an upgrade I shudder to think what the other room would have been like. Voyage prive informed us that as we had refused the "upgraded room" they could not help us and that was that, we replied but they have not bothered to reply to us yet. we were very disappointed with their customer service and would never use them again - lesson learnt.
the hotel grounds were pretty if a little tatty and like other reviewers there is no dining room as such. The food we had was pretty good if expensive.
where the hotel is located there was nowhere to walk to, only one small supermarket and one nightclub with live music (which was good) so you had to use taxis all the time to get anywhere and at €10 a time you need to take it into account on the cost of the holiday.
so our advice is to be careful who you book through and be prepared for the trip to cost more than you think.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
chester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2010

We were concerned having read some of the reviews on here, but have to assume there is confusion between it and another hotel. We took the travel zoo offer and had a lovely time. It is not in the centre of Marrakesh but then that is part of its charm. Very luxiourous, the staff were lovely the pool and hotel was fab too.

It was a really special few days it a great place, a hidden gem in the busy city that is Marrakesh. If you are aftern the ideal of experiencing Marrakesh with a lovely retreat to relax after a busy day this is the place to go.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Belfast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2010

It gives me great pleasure to write this review. I booked this hotel with the Travelzoo offer then read the negative reviews. Consequently, I had no expectations and even considered losing my deposit and rebooking elsewhere. I can honestly say, having travelled all over the world, that this is the kind of hotel I have aspired to stay in for many years and I would return in a heartbeat - in fact, we didn't want to leave!!
Ghizlane met us upon arrival and explained the check in process, sat us by the pool, organised our welcome drink and walked us to our lovely suite. Rose petals everywhere, welcome snacks, lovely dressing room, bathroom and private patio - could not have been happier! We had a lovely lunch by the pool, then a rest after a sauna, then were driven directly to our dinner reservation in a famous restaurant and were picked up again bang on time by the hotel car.
Next day the breakfast by the pool was faultless, and instead of going shopping as planned we decided to spend the day at the hotel as it was so welcoming and beautiful and the weather was fantastic. We had a truly wonderful day, relaxing on the various pool furniture and getting some rays. The staff were attentive, bringing anything we needed, but were not overbearing. We enjoyed meeting the dalmatian puppies too. We had dinner in the evening at the hotel - we didn't need lunch as breakfast was so plentiful.
The Palais Mehdi made our holiday very special, not least because of the beautiful courtyards, rooms and furniture. It is a wonderful place to be. With the Travelzoo offer I feel we got exceptional value for money. I honestly can't fault the place - I'm sorry that other reviewers did not experience the service, politeness, environs and value which we did.

• Stayed November 2010

Been to Palais Mehdi? Share your experiences!