“Tucked away in a fascinating quarter of Marrakech is this gem of a Riad.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dar el Souk

You added Dar el Souk to your Saves list
Dar el Souk
56 Derb Jdid | Riad Zitoun Ked, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #237 of 1,080 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Kettering, United Kingdom
“Tucked away in a fascinating quarter of Marrakech is this gem of a Riad.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

My wife and I found this absolutely fantastic little courtyard house with about 8 rooms with balconies facing a charming courtyard and a roof garden with sun loungers and a shady tent (for eating meals that the cook will bring up to order) -where the roofstops and battlements of the old city are spread out 360 degrees round you, storks nest on nearby chimneys, and the Koutoubia Mosque can be seen gleaming in the evening 's golden light. Heaven! I have not wanted to spread the news round before as this is a place with romantic memories. We went there to spend 5 nights on the 50th Anniversary of our first meeting and we revisited on our Golden Wedding anniversry last spring. Along with countless other couples who have found this place, it is sort of OURS and we didn't want too many to know.. ... However we are clearly getting on in years and there other places to visit while we are fit..... so just find it by Google mapping it and you will see its perfect location close to one of the main taxi and tour bus termini and only three zig zag streets from the wonderful Dar Nejjarine restaurant. And the local kids and local traders get to recognise you as you leave the narrow lane onto the busy main street - you feel so SAFE when you venture out in the dark.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We have just returned from a fabulous five days in Marrakech and would definitely recommend staying at the Dar el Souk. It is a magical place in a perfect location. The staff are incredible, nothing is too much trouble and the owners are fantastic helping with bookings and organising trips. We are going to re-book another stay and will be recommending to friends and family. Jo Chapman and family

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

My wife and I and her parents took the two ground floor rooms on a week long stay. We found Dar El Souk to be an excellent respite and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone looking to stay in Marrakech. Very reasonably priced, clean and nicely decked out from top to toe it was a perfect base for our week. Perfectly situated, everything was within walking distance. Although we never ate at the riad in the evenings the breakfasts were always cheerful and promptly served. Madeline Williams was a very helpful and friendly host who is in most mornings to answer queries and welcome new guests. The night porter Abdel is a top man, friendly knowledgable and hugely helpful, he took me to a pharmacy on a sunday when most of them were closed as my wife had a dose of dodgy belly (not from Dar El souk I hasten to add!)
We would definitely return to Dar El souk should we revisit Marrakech and thank again everyone involved especially Abdel for making our stay such a pleasant one.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We stayed 2 nights in Sharifa and then 4 nights in Attarine, with a trek in the Atlas mountains in between - both rooms are a good size and comfortable. The English owner Madi lives off-site and only drops in during the morning, but has plenty of information to impart about the sights and restaurants of Marrakesh when you do meet her. The inner courtyard garden and roof terrace are charming, and a great break from the bustle of the medina. Most or all of the rooms have a seating area outside (overlooking the courtyard) where you can choose to take breakfast, which includes very fresh French bread but rather average pancakes. Sounds from the courtyard do penetrate the rooms rather easily, so if there happen to be other guests talking on their terraces late into the night, you will certainly be aware of them! In the evening and overnight the riad is looked after by Abdul, who gave us a warm welcome when we arrived and was always most friendly and helpful. The location is very good, being only a few minutes walk from the main square of the medina (Jemaa el-Fna).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I booked this riad over the internet. It looked lovely and on arrival it certainly was. Madi, the owner, was very helpful with great stories to tell and Iman and Hammani (hope I've spelt their names correctly!) who served us our wonderful breakfasts were also really helpful and polite. Nothing was too much trouble. Abdul who works at night was also extremely helpful and nothing was too much trouble for him either. Madi certainly has very good staff who are a credit to her. This is an excellent riad; clean, friendly and like a home from home. It is in a great location, not far from the main square which is buzzing by day and really comes alive at night. I would recommend this riad 100% and when I visit Marakech again I will certainly stay here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

This pretty, peaceful riad was an excellent place to return to after days out in Marrakesh. The staff were laidback but extremely helpful - if you asked for something you got it right away and with a smile.

The common areas were perfect: clean and quiet, with tons of trailing flowers and places for sprawling. Loved the roof terrace as well.

The only (small) disappointment was the room itself. The floor/surfaces weren't as clean as they could have been, and some of the furniture was a bit grubby as well - and not in a "vintage" way. Otherwise excellent!

Room Tip: Higher up room = more privacy. "Attarine" had a private mini-terrace where we ate breakfas...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I can't say enough good things about how helpful all the staff were here. Nothing was too much trouble and they organised ballon trips and visits to the spa's for me. The staff work hard and the place is spotless with the bedding and towels changed daily.

I had evening meals in the Riad twice and they were the best meals I had in Morocco, such beautiful, tasty food. The breakfasts of melon, freshly squeezed orange juice, bread, pancakes and honey were just what I needed to set me up for the day. The staff were only too pleased to bring coffee or drinks at any time of the day (the riad stocks beer and wine - you need to bring your own spirits (there is a small shop at the end of the alley which sells mixers and is open for long hours))

My room was on the ground floor and wonderfully cool, I didn't need to use the air conditioning. It was very plesant to sit with my feet dangling in the plunge pool after spending a morning in the Medina. The pavillion on the roof brought welcome shade when we relaxed with a few drinks up there.

Although I was part of a group staying at the Dar el Souk I felt quite comfortable wandering around the local alleyways and squares by myself and found all the local people very friendly.

If I every go back to Marrakesh then I would happily stay here again.

Room Tip: I did not hear the early morning call to prayers from the ground floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Dar el Souk? Share your experiences!