“Lovely staff, good breakfast, peaceful souk” 4 of 5 stars

Dar el Souk
56 Derb Jdid | Riad Zitoun Ked, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #228 of 1,054 Marrakech B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely staff, good breakfast, peaceful souk”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

This pretty, peaceful riad was an excellent place to return to after days out in Marrakesh. The staff were laidback but extremely helpful - if you asked for something you got it right away and with a smile.

The common areas were perfect: clean and quiet, with tons of trailing flowers and places for sprawling. Loved the roof terrace as well.

The only (small) disappointment was the room itself. The floor/surfaces weren't as clean as they could have been, and some of the furniture was a bit grubby as well - and not in a "vintage" way. Otherwise excellent!

Room Tip: Higher up room = more privacy. "Attarine" had a private mini-terrace where we ate breakfas...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I can't say enough good things about how helpful all the staff were here. Nothing was too much trouble and they organised ballon trips and visits to the spa's for me. The staff work hard and the place is spotless with the bedding and towels changed daily.

I had evening meals in the Riad twice and they were the best meals I had in Morocco, such beautiful, tasty food. The breakfasts of melon, freshly squeezed orange juice, bread, pancakes and honey were just what I needed to set me up for the day. The staff were only too pleased to bring coffee or drinks at any time of the day (the riad stocks beer and wine - you need to bring your own spirits (there is a small shop at the end of the alley which sells mixers and is open for long hours))

My room was on the ground floor and wonderfully cool, I didn't need to use the air conditioning. It was very plesant to sit with my feet dangling in the plunge pool after spending a morning in the Medina. The pavillion on the roof brought welcome shade when we relaxed with a few drinks up there.

Although I was part of a group staying at the Dar el Souk I felt quite comfortable wandering around the local alleyways and squares by myself and found all the local people very friendly.

If I every go back to Marrakesh then I would happily stay here again.

Room Tip: I did not hear the early morning call to prayers from the ground floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Have just returned from a great break at this riad. This was the first time the two of us had been to Marrakech so we had spent some time deciding where to stay and arrived at the riad full of expectation. Being parents of a beautiful little boy we had left at home, so that we could celebrate Sarah's birthday, the stakes we high and to my surprise our hopes of a perfect break were exceeded! I work in Quality Assurance so I have to say I am a hard man to please and have NEVER written a review, good or bad, after a holiday before this.

The experience started on arrival at the airport with the riad organising a taxi transfer using a taxi driver who spoke perfect English and clearly loved the city and gave great advice during the short transfer. Within minutes of arrival we had received sufficient advice from the staff to make our way to the main square for fab food. Being seperated from our little boy a mobile phone for contact was essential; when Sarah's phone crashed the staff were helpful and knew where to send us to get it sorted.within hours.

OK, anybody can pick very minor issues with some aspects of the riad but this really misses the point of the experience. It is not a cold clinical modern hotel and is all the better for it.

We look forward to meeting the team at the riad on our next visit!!

Sarah & Phil, Chester

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

This was my second stay at Dar El Souk and I'm pleased to say that it was just as lovely as my previous trip 5 years earlier.
The owner and staff are very helpful and conveniently organise a great taxi service which saves a lot of stress. The riad is close to all the excitement of the medina but offers a tranquil escape.
The rooms are all full of character with beautiful authentic touches and an amazing roof terrace. I think it's extremely well priced and I look forward to going back there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Malvern
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We stayed at Dar el Souk in May with friends and liked it so much we went back in September with our family. We stayed in the upper rooms, Attarine and Sagha, during our first visit and they are just lovely; spacious, comfortable and beautifully decorated. For our second stay we had the family suite which worked really well. Our favourite place is its wonderful roof terrace, full of plants and shady spots for breakfast and to relax in after a day in Marrakesh. After the bustle and hassle of the souks, Dar el Souk is the perfect peaceful, comfortable and friendly place to recover!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Staffordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We booked this Riad after reading good reviews and we wanted to be close to the major sights, we were not disappointed. We booked direct and were met at the airport and driven to the Medina where we were met by a chariot handler who transported our luggage in a cart to our Riad. Abdul greeted us and gave us a tour of the Riad. It is exactly as described, it is difficult to portray just how beautiful and serene, so quiet and peaceful it is.
We had intended to have our anniversary meal on the terrace, but due to rain, we ate in the salon, just the two of us. Our pastille and tagine were amazing. Thank you Abdul for making our meal most enjoyable. Thank you also Madi for your help and directions, we didn't get lost, had a lovely Red bus tour around the city, and a day trip to the Atlas Mountains which included a Berber house visit, a saffron 'farm', a woman's co operative where Aragon oil is made and an amazing waterfall mountain hike. For someone who doesn't like heights this was a challenge but our guide gave me the confidence to get to the top, with a helping hand and cheery banter, an unforgettable experience. With Madi's help we managed to see a lot of Marakech, we will definitely be returning, but next time we hope to leave the rain in England!!

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We spent 5 nights at Dar el Souk before visiting Essaouira for a week. We were met at the airport which is to be recommended on a first visit through a bustling and very hot Medina. We had specified that we wanted lots of light and a roof terrace and were not disappointed. Our room was comfortable and had a siting room both inside and out. The roof terrace is lovely with various areas in which to relax. Madi, the owner was very helpful in giving advice on sights and dining options. The staff were friendly and looked after us well. The local Hammam with friendly owner is well worth a visit. Kosy Bar is a good option for drinks with a great view of the skyline and nesting storks. Seafood from the stalls in the main square in the evening is also an interesting dining experience and with no ill effects in our case. We would recommend Dar el Souk as a good choice in central Marrakech.

Room Tip: We had a large room on the first floor overlooking the court yard. The outside sitting area was a re...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Dar el Souk? Share your experiences!