“Comfortable Stay” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Guest house   |   160 Derb El Ferane, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #420 of 1,134 Marrakech B&B and Inns
“Comfortable Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed our stay at the Riad. The staff were very helpful taking our luggage to the room upon arrival. The owner also allowed us to leave our luggage at the Riad while we went on a two day trip to the Sahara Desert and was most helpful to us, booking a restaurant for us on our first night.

The Riad is centrally located and good value for money, being a five minute walk to the Souks. You do have to mind the low doorways but the place is clean and comfortable (air conditioning is provided) and is adequate for a trip to Marrakech.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Horrible. Families with children please avoid in the summer months as the lack of proper air conditioning is dangerous in the heat. I booked this hotel for the air conditioning, and you guessed it, it didn't work It was 45c in Marrakech. Just imagine ... I asked two of the young "dudes" who front the Riad to look at it and they really couldn't have cared less. They also didn't have back up fans - this was all with a background of my daughter having fainted in the souk a couple of days before before due to the intense heat. In addition to this there were potholes in the floor, a socket coming out from the wall, small room, no curtains on small porthole style windows, bathroom door was broken and didn't shut, electricity waxed and waned, outdoor furniture looked dirty etc. To be fair the guys running it were nice, but were just "dudes" and simply not able to run the place professionally. To illustrate this further they had no record of our cash payment when we left. For € 20 a night more get a massive two roomed mini-suite in new town hotels with air conditioning.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We slept in the "Andalous" room, it was very nice and basic furnished, but with air conditioning.
Anyway it is reccomendable to bring flip flop for the shower.
The location is very good and close to main attractions (souks, djema el fna..), tour operators for excursions and taxis.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Its a very relexing place, clean and worm. The team whas great! I came with my femily and in the begining my parents was very confuse about the medina.. And thx to cristof and abidine the crew evrithing become great! Ty for a good time in marakech. Shlomi

• Stayed July 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband and i arrived a bit late late at the airport and dint find our airport transfer we had arranged with the hotel, when we informed the hotel staff they were very apologetic and even checked with the driver only to find that he had made an error on waiting area. He was still at the airport waiting for us when we arrived at the hotel. The taxi from the airport overcharged us because normal fare should be 50-60 dirhams not 100-300. The taxi from the riad hotel is 20 during the day and 30 dirhams in the in the night is fare. We were met by one staff with curly hair, very professional, approachable and was willing to show us around the riad which was very beautiful in real life and very clean. We had to wait for our room as the previous people hadn't left and we were sat on the roof terrace and they offered us mint Moroccan tea. The hotel was authentic and very beautifully done, away from home feeling. The tortoise was same colour as the floor and I disagree that they were unkind with them, infact they were very playful with them and we had to walk carefully in the courtyard so we don't step on them. I came with my partner of 9 years and wasn't impressed when a young male staff asked me where my friend was, shouldn't assume marital status. We loved the breakfast set up and nothing we asked was too much. the young man gave us all advice we needed which we found helpful when we went to the medina and neighbouring little towns. We didn't eat at the riad but found amazing restraurants in the medina that served amazing food for 200 dirhams per person which is fare because the food was a lot of options, starter, main and desert. They cleaned our room during our stay and to our surprised the hotel exceeded our expectations, with large bedrooms, beautiful bathroom with Moroccan style. beddings very clean, towels changed and I had a one hour massage which was so relaxing, almost fell asleep. The lady was pleasant and very professional, she was not called out or disturbed at any one time. It was very quite, the whole riad hotel was so peaceful and you couldn't tell you were in Marrakech. The Hotel is hidden and we used the local boys to show us but be careful even though they were nice. by second day we could navigate where the hotel was and it made it exciting. will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms were amazing, we had one with a large balcony area in the hotel riad and it wa...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We arrived early in the morning & was greeted by a nice young man who offered us tea to refresh ourselves. Our room was not ready as we arrived earlier than expected for check in, they accommodate us as soon as the room was ready.
We didn't know what to expect but was blown away with the hotel! The staff were very helpful meeting us with our every need they were all very friendly and meeted our every request.
They also organised excursions through the hotel and spa treatments.
I treated myself to a hammon scrub which I have never done the lady made me feel comfortable and very relaxed.
We stayed 4 nights at the hotel, it was a beautiful stay. I would defiantly recommend it!
A getaway from the stresses of the city life!

• Stayed June 2013
London UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

It may have been that we were very much 'over' Marrakech when we arrived or it may have been that we came from a far superior riad where we has stayed the previous 2 nights, but we did not enjoy this riad at all.
We were met by three young men, on our arrival, one of which was very eager to show us around and make sure we were ok. The other two thought it was hilarious to kick around the poor tortoise in one of the seating areas, and found it even funnier that this upset me.
One of the young men also repeatedly told my friend that she was 'not a nice person' and told me to stop asking so many questions when I was just trying to make polite conversation.
In between all of this female staff were constantly screaming at each and arguing. All very bizarre.

During my 'relaxing' massage someone knocked on the door three times - every time the girl massaging me answered it. Right at the end while on my back in nothing but my bikini bottoms someone just barged in! And even when I was clearly distressed trying to cover myself she simply laughed, apologised but didn't even shut the door!

We ate dinner in the riad also, hoping this would be good given past reviews I have read. It was not. It was barely warm and tasteless. Breakfast was also disappointing compared to our previous riad.

What I hadn't realised is that I didn't meet the owner until the next day. He was very lovely and I'm sure that if he had been there on our first day our experience would have been a lot different. We didn't tell him anything of the day before as we just wanted to get out of there. We actually left for the airport 4 hours before our flight just so we could leave.
Very upset and disappointed with the whole experience. It is extremely rare that I leave a bad review but we could not find much good in this riad. The seating areas were very pretty, and the riads pets (tortoise and cats) were very entertaining.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Riad Dar El Aila? Share your experiences!