“Not for us” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #392 of 1,064 Marrakech B&B and Inns
London UK
“Not for us”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

It may have been that we were very much 'over' Marrakech when we arrived or it may have been that we came from a far superior riad where we has stayed the previous 2 nights, but we did not enjoy this riad at all.
We were met by three young men, on our arrival, one of which was very eager to show us around and make sure we were ok. The other two thought it was hilarious to kick around the poor tortoise in one of the seating areas, and found it even funnier that this upset me.
One of the young men also repeatedly told my friend that she was 'not a nice person' and told me to stop asking so many questions when I was just trying to make polite conversation.
In between all of this female staff were constantly screaming at each and arguing. All very bizarre.

During my 'relaxing' massage someone knocked on the door three times - every time the girl massaging me answered it. Right at the end while on my back in nothing but my bikini bottoms someone just barged in! And even when I was clearly distressed trying to cover myself she simply laughed, apologised but didn't even shut the door!

We ate dinner in the riad also, hoping this would be good given past reviews I have read. It was not. It was barely warm and tasteless. Breakfast was also disappointing compared to our previous riad.

What I hadn't realised is that I didn't meet the owner until the next day. He was very lovely and I'm sure that if he had been there on our first day our experience would have been a lot different. We didn't tell him anything of the day before as we just wanted to get out of there. We actually left for the airport 4 hours before our flight just so we could leave.
Very upset and disappointed with the whole experience. It is extremely rare that I leave a bad review but we could not find much good in this riad. The seating areas were very pretty, and the riads pets (tortoise and cats) were very entertaining.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Charlwood
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Cannot fault this lovely Riad. We were a group of 16 ladies on a long weekend trip. Christophe and his wonderful staff could not have been more helpful. We had exchanged many emails before the trip as I had lots of different requests from the ladies, single beds, food requirements, guides, taxis, trips out ...etc. The list was endless but Christophe answered all my questions and requests promptly. We had lots of taxi journeys from the transfers to/from the airport, various restaurants etc which Christophe arranged. We had the same drivers throughout who were marvelous picking us up from the Riad and walking us all back on the return journey to make sure we got back safely. I would recommend arranging the taxi transfers to/from the airport as the Riad is tucked away down a little cobbled side street. Christophe has drawn up superb instructions for walking to and back from the Souks, to and from the main Square and also Majorelle Gardens which on the 2nd day, after having a guide for the 1st, we used with no problem whatsoever. The hamman and treatment rooms looked very welcoming, although we did not have time to use them. The rooms are very tastefully decorated, clean and comfortable. The steps to the roof need careful negotiation, but the roof was one of our favourite places with lots of little nooks and private places to sit, relax, have a drink. We ate breakfast and had an evening meal under the canopy on the roof. Meals are freshly prepared, simple and very tasty. The wines are very good also and are no more expensive than any where else we drank. We were all a little sad to leave the Riad, but we will definitely be coming back !!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

For those who know what Riad’s are this is the one for you. For those who always stay at hotels you have to give this a try. It’s different, but good different.
Christophe runs a great ship. With nice helpful staff who are always willing to help. I would highly recommend that you get Christophe to arrange transport for you especially the transfer from the airport. It’s a good price and avoids any hassle with cabs who try to con you. The Riad is also a little difficult to get to so you don’t want to get lost on the first day. Christopher also arranged our trip to Essouiera as it was much cheaper then the excursion outfits as well as a local with a van who would sort us out a good price! We went with 3 families all with 3 kids each and they absolutely loved it although I would say Riads are more for couples. It was however a safe environment that they could explore in. A/C, free wifi, numerous chill out areas on different floors along with roof terraces overlooking Marrakech and in the distance the Atlas mountains. The Riad is beautifully decorated throughout in a traditional authentic Moroccan theme but as with most professional pictures they make a place look better then it actually is. The rooms are lockable from the inside but not outside but this didn’t worry us. Christophe kindly held our money and passports in the safe.
On the first day you’re a bit apprehensive about the location down some poorly lit alleys but you get used to it very quick.

The one negative was that the pool (paddling pool really) wasn’t heated but on really hot days it’s well used apparently.

Their breakfast selection is very basic, cakes, baguettes, fruit, orange juice and tea. Christophe arranged lunch for us on our last day and although a little on the pricy side was the best food we had on the whole trip.

Room Tip: You won't hear the Adhaan (prayer call) as much on the ground floors and I would recommend askin...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Thank you to Christopher and his staff for the wonderful experience in Marrakech. My friends and I fell in love with the Riad. It was nice to to come back to the relaxing Riad after the chaos of market shopping and long day trips. The rooms were all very clean and the garden and roof top terrace was beautifully maintained. We ate dinner a couple of times at the Riad and the food was delicious. Thank you to Christopher and the hospitality of his staff to make my birthday long weekend a memorable one.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Hereford UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Just what you would want from a riad stay in Marrakesh. Comfortable, loads of character, lovely roof terraces and places to lounge. Friendly and welcoming staff. Dinner on the roof was great. Was a little further away from the centre than some riads, but nice quiet part of the medina.

Room Tip: Rooms on the roof are light and airy, but all rooms have something special
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

My friend and I stayed here for four nights in March. The traditional design of the riad makes you feel at home right from the start with plenty of areas to relax, from the rooftop terrace to the pool in the reception. Our room was cleaned daily and we were welcomed with rose petals on the bed and with a towel shaped like a swan on the bed - a nice touch!

The riad is located close enough to the sooks, but far enough to chill out totally after a busy shopping trip. The owner offered us a well thought out - and very helpful - step by step guide on how to get about in the hustle bussle that takes you to and from the busy markets. The staff were very friendly, offering us good advice and reccomendations on trips, as well as making sure we were well refreshed with a mint tea or a cold beer!

We enjoyed a hammam in the riad too which was excellent. The breakfasts were a delicious French and Moroccon fusion of fresh breads, patiserrie jams and excellent coffee. We also dined in the restaurant for two nights, which offered a homemade tagine and cous cous. It was as tasty as any local tagine we experienced.

I would highly recommend this riad to anyone who is planning a stay in Marrakesh.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We have stayed there at january 2013. I am also in hotel business and we liked it very much. Its clean, stylish, great staff, nice location. Has a great terrace over looking the Atlas mountains, we have enjoyed one night dinner food was good. especially terrace restaurant area is nice spot to spend time during the night and I am quite sure whole terrace is great when the weather is nice..Thanks guys

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Riad Dar El Aila? Share your experiences!