“Wonderful stay in this Perfect Riad” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Fenn

You added El Fenn to your Saves list
El Fenn
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Derb Moullay Abdullah Ben Hezzian | Bab el Ksour, Medina, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #37 of 463 Hotels in Marrakech
London
“Wonderful stay in this Perfect Riad”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2010

My Husband & I have just had 4 nights here. It was my first trip to Marrakech & the Riad is perfect & feels like a calm paradise to the wonders and chaos of the great city of Marrakech. We were in Room 4 & it was just fabulous, so romantic & beautiful. Interiors are very well designed, lots of roses in tin buckets everywhere. We found the Morrocon people to be so lovely, warm & gentle & certainly the employees at El Fenn were all of these things & made the stay so great, they went out of their way to assist us. It is an very large Riad with lots of public areas to use & relax in. Food was delicious & they serve the best porridge! Was a perfect stay, the only one negative thing was the bath in our room did not work, which although disappointing it did not deter from our stay.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

It's fun exploring all the little corners of this riad, which has something of that old hippie trail attitude about it. There's a really engaging modern art collection dotted around the place too, and the restaurant has surprisingly good food although it seems a little empty. The service is good when it comes from the top management but can fall slightly short in other quarters - I could not for the life of me, in spite of numerous requests, obtain a list of hammam services and prices. my family stayed in the annex, which is a few minutes walk down a few alleys. It was perfect for us, and the rooms were individualistic and really really pleasing, with Moroccan design touches. There was also a roof terrace which we loved hanging out on - and in the morning birds would swoop in and out of the central courtyard of our little annex singing and scolding, which was kind of cool - the call to prayer had already woken us anyway! There was a small plunge pool on the roof terrace which wasn't quite enough for our kids, but the main riad had two pools so that satisfied them. The location was very good, walking distance to the central square and the souks, in the old medina. There was an attractive, gently worn feeling about the riad - I'd happily return.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2010

Spent a week in Marrakech at the Riad el Fenn and did not want to leave. The driver was at the airport waiting for us, and kept us relaxed and reassured as we waited to report our lost luggage. Drove us to the hotel and was very pleasant and helpful in setting the scene for the city. The Riad is located in the Medina, so the outside looks like a non-descript alley, but once the doors open you are in paradise. Very interesting traditional and modern setting with idyllic courtyards and nooks in which to sit and relax. We were quickly greeted by the manager and given a tour.

We stayed in room 19 which was beautiful (although the first time we went to use the tub it flooded the floor.) The room was very quiet and comfortable. The entire facility is like being in another world. Loved the breakfast which is more than anyone could reasonably be expected to eat. The staff were super and very attentive and went out of their way to assist. The location at the edge of the medina is excellent for going out and exploring. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2010

I have stayed at El Fenn several times and from the moment of walking in I love the sense of shedding all care and responsibility and being taken care of there. All the senses are caterd for - every room is beautiful to look at, the food is excellent ( I especially love tea time in the courtyard with birdsong and tortoises meandering past), bed linen smooth to the touch , orange blossom scenting the corridors and olive wood for the fires in the rooms, and even ipod speakers in every room. I have been to El Fenn alone and enjoyed curling up to read and not having to talk and felt inspired for work, I have been with my boyfriend for a very relaxing romantic break and with friends for fun. I will come back as soon as I can.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

I recently had the pleasure of staying at Riad El Fenn and cannot recommend it highly enough. We arrived late at night - greeted by their driver with a huge smile and whisked off to the heart of the Medina, where behind an unassuming doorway was this oasis of relaxation, elegance and style. The rooms are breathtaking and the ones I saw each had their own character. I would return again just to experience the other suites. My room had rich red leather walls and, a personal favourite, fresh roses everywhere I looked. The decadence of it all made me feel like a movie star.

It takes a little while to discover the riad - each day we found a new nook and cranny to sit back and relax. The staff were amazing - they kept a discreet distance but any time you need anything, they are there and happy to help. I loved the little touches - like waking up to fresh coffee and delicious pastries in the morning to having afternoon tea and cakes in the central courtyard as a tortoise slowly ambles by. My favourite thing of all was having breakfast on the roof terrace - looking out over the medina to the Atlas mountains. I could have stayed there all day. When you manage to tear yourself away, the management is really good at recommending things to do and places to go - we had a couple fantastic excursions while we were there. I also treated myself to a hamman massage (first time) and it was heaven. Being interested in art, I also really enjoyed the collection of paintings and sculpture that is dotted throughout the riad. There is a large Bridget Riley painting that greets you as you enter and the dining room has an incredible light installation that is truly beautiful.

Another amazing thing happened on my departure. We found out that our flight was cancelled at the last minute as we arrived at the airport. El Fenn's driver told us not to worry and to wait there. I feared the worst as there was a large queue to get the next flight. Somehow he managed to get us on the flight without any fuss - I don't know how he did it but it was really appreciated!

There are so many things that I loved about my stay -too many to list to here. My recommendation is if you want to stay somewhere unique, romantic, artistic, sumptuous, laid back... (I'm running out of adjectives) - this is the place for you. it's a really special place and I wish I lived closer so that I could spoil myself and visit more often.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

The bustle of Marrakesh vanishes as you step through the almost hidden doorway of Riad El Fenn. What an extraordinary and unexpected place - beautiful courtyards, 2 swimming pools and an enormous roof terrace with staggering views. We found the staff so friendly, the food is fabulous although my favourite was definitely the breakfast on the roof, looking out one way over the Medina and the other way to the Atlas Mountains. The bedrooms are amazing - I couldn't resist asking one of the staff to let me have a look at a couple and each one is different, full of unusual furniture and amazing art. All of them seemed to be huge with fabulous bathrooms. In every way not at all a 'standard' hotel yet big enough (twenty rooms or so?) not to feel too precious. You must go.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
paris
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

we loved the ambience of the riad as soon as we went in through its discreet door, the art is whimsical and wonderful, the pools gorgeous and quite private being wisely tucked away, the palette of colours and materials used all around is such fun , and the tortoises are cute too ! Our room was very comfortable and imaginatively designed, using Berber artefacts and fabrics, we were told it was one of the first rooms in the original version of riad El Fenn, which has been expanding without losing its charm.. were mostly eating out meeting friends, but the terrace - loved the lights in the stairs at night time -is wonderful for breakfast and tea, most of all the location of the riad is perfect, very easy access by petit taxi or just walking through the Medina, i have stayed in several riads and hotels in Marrakech over the last few years , but Riad el Fenn is my favourite choice in the Medina, even if the city is at times a little too touristy this is a peaceful and fun place to stay. I have recommended this place to a chosen few already - beware, it gets very booked up !

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends

Been to El Fenn? Share your experiences!