“Wonderful, relaxing erfect base for a holiday in Marrakech” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Fenn

You added El Fenn to your Saves list
El Fenn
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Derb Moullay Abdullah Ben Hezzian | Bab el Ksour, Medina, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #37 of 464 Hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful, relaxing erfect base for a holiday in Marrakech”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed at El Fenn in August 2013 and my partner and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of our stay at this unique Riad.

Firstly the location is perfect.It is within the Medina walls, but more importantly only 5 minutes walk from Jemaa El Fna Square with its vibrant nightlife, and the Souks. Although this may not seem essential, after a hot day or busy evening wandering around its wonderful to be so close to home without the bother of taxi's. Despite being so close to the bustle of busy Marrakech the Riad itself is quiet and tranquil.

The Riad itself is several houses joined together, built round 4 courtyards. It is simply gorgeous. Luxurious and comfortable without being ostentatious and at night the whole place is lit with candles and lanterns. The planting is gorgeous and the pools are a real haven.

The staff are, without exception helpful, courteous and unobtrusive. Nothing was too much trouble - they will serve you drinks or food where ever you like, whenever you like, and always with a smile and polite greeting. We did the cooking morning with the chef Hafid and it was great fun - informative & interesting.

Was there anything that could be improved? - only two small suggestions. Firstly none of the rooms have any locks and although there is a safe in each room its not large enough for a laptop and its a pain to put you valuables in it every time you lave the room. There is a doorman at the entrance to the Riad so we were not too concerned but I do think it would be worth considering locks for the rooms. Some instruction in the room about how to work the air -con/ phone system etc might also have been helpful. However I must add that every time we asked anything or needed anything it was instantly sorted out, again with a smile.

I would recommend the tour of the Medina - we hired a guide twice through the hotel. Both guides (Mustafa and Ali ) were knowledgeable, patient and provided us with an insight into Marrakech that we could never have achieved on our own. They also guided us unerringly though the maze that is the Marrakesh Souk!

El Fenn is not cheap, but for us it was worth every penny!

I truly hope to return to El Fenn in the future, we had a wonderful break there. Many thanks to all the staff who helped make this such a great experience.

Room Tip: We stayed in in Room 2o which was upstairs. It was enormous with a huge bathroom - a shower room the...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I had such a great stay at Riad El Fenn! The riad itself is stunning, and very well maintained. I really love the mix of traditional moroccan and contemporary design and the decor details are beautiful. From the moroccan rugs, to the unique and diverse artwork, and even the color palette that paints the walls, I was mesmerized by El Fenn. The staff is exceptional, and despite our stay during Ramadan, we still received great service. Everyone on staff is lovely, and helpful when needed. I enjoyed my rooftop breakfast every morning, afternoon moroccan tea and confections, and had an excellent lunch consisting of perfectly seasoned fish and vegetables. El Fenn met all my expectations for a moroccan riad and then some, and I will likely stay here again on my next trip to marrakech.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

We were not staying here so this is a terrace restaurant review.

I am awarding this 3 stars purely on standard of food. There was, however, some really nice parts to our experience so I will talk about those first.

The lady on reception was great and gave myself, my wife and two young girls a tour of the riad (including getting two tortoises for the girls to see!). The riad is spectatacular, with two pools, stunning planting (with great night garden lighting). She escorted us to the terrace restaurant. So far, so very good.

The terrace is nice comprising a typical Moroccan seating area, restaurant table, some sun beds and small plunge pool. Very nice with romantic mood lighting for all you honeymooners and anniversary celebrators out there...or those just on a romantic break.

The food...the menu is very small which is often a good thing...do a limited range well is much better than do a large range badly.

My wife ordered the lentil soup and I ordered the beef carpaccio. Her impression was 'nothing special and under seasoned'. My carpaccio? Well it was a plate of beef 'circles' arranged like a pizza with some grated cheese on it. Not great.

Main courses were steaks, medium rare and rare. All I can say is that it was average. I never understand why, when you order a sauce, they douse the food in it rather than give you the option to decide if you want it 'off or on'.

I think they need to reboot their menu and food standards...it's more cafe than restaurant.

I am going to temper this review by saying that the riad looked fantastic and the service was generally very good. Would this experience put me off staying there? no, it wouldn't. Two main reasons (1) a restaurant is not the only defining factor and they have two (I only ate in one) (2) the standard of the public spaces was very high and the location is very very good.

I would definitely consider staying here and giving the food another chance...if on second look the food did not improve..well, there are plenty of other eating options in Marrakech.

We plundered the cocktail menu, expensive, slow service but very well done all the same.

Room Tip: In the heat of the Marrakech summer sun, I would pick one of the two plunge pool rooms.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Some friends were staying here, and we visited them cocktails a couple of times, absolutely stunning decor and ambiance, very good cocktails best enjoyed on the roof terrace! Even a visit for drinks or dinner will make your stay in Marrakesh memorable - as it did ours.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Harrogate, North Yorkshire, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

If you are looking for a stylish Riad in a fabulous location then look no further. The friendliness of the staff, the quality and style of the furnishings, the stunning rooftop (where we lost ourselves comfortably for hours!) and the delicious food - all went towards making this a perfect getaway. Can't wait to go back in March.

Room Tip: Let the Riad talk you through the options as i'm told their all a bit different.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We had a wonderful three night stay at El Fenn commencing with our airport transfer from Casablanca. We had a courtyard room which was fantastic and about the same size as our one bedroom apartment in Singapore. The breakfasts were fantastic and a great way to start the day. The staff kindly wrapped up a couple of baguettes to take with us on the train to Fez. Location is perfect with being just inside the Medina. The staff were friendly and always willing to assist us as first time visitors to Morocco. We will definitely stay there should we visit Marrakesh again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in El Fenn for 3 days and it was simply amazing. Everyone in our group had a uniquely stunning room. My room was bigger than my flat in London!

We also had a fantastic cooking class with the chef and then enjoyed our meal on the beautiful rooftop terrace. Definitely one of the best hotels Ive stayed at in the world.

Can't say enough about the warm and wonderful experience that Megan, Yulia, and the whole staff provided. Highly Recommend, I cant wait to visit again!

Been to El Fenn? Share your experiences!