“A SHORT BLAST OF PARADISE” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Fenn

Save Saved
You added El Fenn to your Saves list
El Fenn
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Derb Moullay Abdullah Ben Hezzian | Bab el Ksour, Medina, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Special Rate
€200 (EUR)
Ranked #55 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Machynlleth, United Kingdom
“A SHORT BLAST OF PARADISE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

With only a three day break in Marrakech, my partner and I couldn’t believe how much we relaxed, and it was all thanks to the Riad el Fenn. From the moment of arrival at the airport, everything was supremely easy and well-organised, and an absolute pleasure. It made for the perfect short break.

What particularly makes the place is the staff, who are endlessly helpful and kind; nothing was too much trouble. There wasn’t a single exception. The riad itself is just beautiful; a series of courtyards, open spaces and cosy interiors to fit any mood at any time of the day or night. A particular highlight was the sumptuous breakfasts on the roof terrace, available until midday, with the sound of the muezzin from the nearby Koutoubia mosque floating across the air. That was after waking to flasks of tea and coffee, together with some sweet nibbles, to take in our room. If only real life was like this…

The roof terrace was a great place to spend hot afternoons too, under canvas awnings or wallowing in the plunge pool, idly dozing or reading. I had a great massage, and my partner tried the hammam, both of which were brilliant and invigorating. Otherwise, we found our favourite corners in the courtyards, by the pool or in the very relaxing bar and restaurant (the food was great too).

Our room was magical; everything as you’d want it, including a sunken marble bath and a massive, comfy bed that gave us both some brilliant nights’ sleep. Best of all, we had the riad’s colony of tortoises living by our door, which gave us many lovely moments (and a stack of photos!).

Marrakech is a wonderful place for a few day’s blast of colour, spice and excitement. The riad is right in the heart of the old medina, yet when you come back through the big wooden door, it makes for such a deliciously quiet contrast with the noise and tumult of the souks and alleyways. Rarely have I stayed anywhere that gets everything right, but the Riad el Fenn really did. We’ve been back home a couple of days now, and it all feels a bit like a dream – but one of the loveliest dreams you could ever have. Thanks to all at the riad, for they’re doing a superb job. We will be back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

416 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Going to Marrakech for a weekend (Fri-Sun) I thought would not be long enough to see the city properly and enjoy all is has to offer. Luckily my boyfriend and I were staying in Riad el Fenn. Being picked up in a brand new Land Rover we were driven to the hotel. Walking down a very non-descript alley a small door was opened and we stepped into the oasis of calm that is Riad el Fenn! The set lunches are delicious, and being only a 5 minute walk from the Souk was so convenient (the hotel arranged a great tour guide a very reasonable cost). The hotel is gorgeous inside, it feels like someone's very stylish art-filled house, with so many different places to sit and chat, the main courtyard fountain is filled with fresh flowers every day. One of my favourite aspects was the mint tea and home made cakes and french patisserie delights that are put out in the courtyard every day ... bliss! Our was gorgeous, sapphire blue with a bathtub in the room. Dainty Moroccan glassware holds Moroccan bath goodies for you to use while you are soaking. The staff were charming and very amenable to all our requests. Every morning they put a flask of tea and coffee with a small selection of baklava to keep you going until the delicious breakfast (I highly recommend the porridge with cinnamon and flaked almonds) And I can also thoroughly recommend the 2 person Hammam. We had such a magical weekend, I cannot wait to go back. Without staying here I have no idea how we could have enjoyed Marrakech has to offer over 3 days. I cannot wait to spend 7 days here next time! Worth every penny :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Valencia, Spanje
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

In the midst of the Marrakech maze of quaint little alleys, a hidden door shields Riad El Fenn from the busy medina. First off, your eyes can feast on amazing contemporary art and displays. Not at all the dreaded 'in your face' kind, but subtle and blending.
Checking in at the front desk (which also serves as a little shop selling lovely and colourful Moroccan bric-à-brac which I instantly expected to be spending my entire holiday budget on) was as quick and easy as it was warm and welcoming and before long I was unpacking my suitcase in lodgings I would be ashamed to refer to as a 'hotel room'.
A private little terrace overlooking the pool area. Inside, old Moroccan mixed with Colonial and 50's European style. Wooden beamed ceilings that undoubtedly reached the floors of heaven, which I think must have been necessary to accomodate the luxuriously high-elevated four-poster bed...king size of course. A mosaic fireplace, a polished copper clawfoot bathtub. And that's just the bedroom!
Wooden church doors lead into the marvellous bathroom, the walk-in closet and the huge shower cabine which doubles as a steam room. Double sinks, separate toilet, vanity table: THE WORKS! And beautiful camel leather floor tiles wall-to-wall. Quelle luxury!

Drinks were served in front of the fireplace in the bar/restaurant and we decided to stay in for dinner. What a great choice that was! The grilled jumbo shrimp and the entrecôte were everything we hoped they would be, the décor was beautiful and the waiters were -without exception- extremely nice and helpful.
The after dinner stroll through the green courtyards of the completely candle-lit Riad was like walking through a fairytale. Never before have I seen such an exquisite display of taste and elegance. Everything ranging from the scented candles, the artwork and the furniture, to the fresh floral arrangements...it all adds to the stunning sense of style Riad El Fenn exudes.

The next morning, after the most amazing night's sleep in quite possibly the best Egyptian cotton sheets money can buy (yes, they are for sale at the aforementioned shop!), the complimentary breakfast was served on the roof terrace overlooking the medina and with an breathtaking view of the Koutoubia mosque and the snow-covered summits of the Atlas mountains. We would not have left our colourful and comfortable lounge beds had we not been running late for a massage, which turned out to be an hour of soothing perfection in the wonderfully quiet in-house spa.

Afternoons are spent with a High Tea (also complimentary) in the cozy library or in the courtyards, in one of which a family of tortoises lazily mingle with the guests.
Then we head back to the roof terrace for a glass of Moroccan 'vin gris', which easily turns into a bottle or two, especially when you watch the glaring red sun set over the ever vibrant medina.

This is the sort of treatment and surroundings that will, quite literally, make you cry when your stay here is over.
But we will be back. NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!

Room Tip: As each and every room (in all price ranges) has a wonderfully unique style, there is no way you can...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

You know you stayed in a good hotel when on the first night back in your own bed you are dying to go back. Riad El Fenn is in the center of the old town of Marrakech. A small street and a simple door form the entrance of the riad. Behind there paradise awaits.

The hotel consists of several buildings that are connected by courtyards wherein you can sit and relax while enjoying the beautiful surroundings and art work. The moment the sun starts to set you will find burning candles everywhere you look which create a truly romantic atmosphere.

On the roof you will find a terrace that includes a pool and numerous corners that are designed as lounge areas. The perfect place for having breakfast in the morning sun or having wine in the late afternoon soaking up the last rays of sunlight.

One of the highlights of this hotel you will find in your bed. The sheets are made of 600-thread-count Egyptian cotton so a good night sleep is guaranteed! The rooms are beautifully and very tastefully decorated. You wish you could stay in a different room every night, because every single one of them is arranged in its own way. You'll be amazed about the originality of the room design, the choices of the furniture and the grandiosity the whole hotel offers to its guests. Oh, and be prepared to find a fresh pot of coffee and tea every (!) morning on your own terrace. Bliss.

The staff is very friendly and welcoming. They will do anything possible to make your stay the best you've ever had. I can recommend to have at least one dinner at the restaurant in the hotel. The menu is great and the offered wines are very good. Don't forget to try the Moroccan wine which will surprise you!

One thing i missed in the hotel is a gym. But also noting that a tv and telephone are absent in the room, it fits into the concept of this hotel: getting out of your everyday situation and enjoying a wonderful place full of relaxation. Book yourself a massage and a facial once you arrive! Have fun!

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

This hotel is exactly what you want from staying in Marrakesh!
Beautiful unique rooms, glorious court yards, amazingly positioned- 20mins from airport and right next to the souk, tortoises crawling around, fresh flowers carefully placed in each fountain.

It is a world in the hotel, each corner you could get lost turning in to yet another beautiful court yard.

I could not imagine staying anywhere else!

I would recommend for lunch the daily special. This is fresh Moroccan style vegetables with either fish or meat. You can wait for you surprise meal while sipping mint tea and listening to the call to prayer. You feel like you have travelled back in time and left all you problems far far away.

I read trip advisor a lot and I wish in this case I could give six stars!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I am writing a little late but had to say how incredible Riad El Fenn is! - i would highly recommend it to anyone who is thinking about visiting Marrakesh. I think it would pretty much suit any sort of group/family going as it is so diverse and accomodating to see to your every need. As it was, i visited for a friend's 30th Birthday - it was just perfect. There is the most incredible roof terrace with a restaurant, bar and boules lawn - there are also multiple comfortable sofas etc to lounge around on in the sun with a glass of Moroccan rose. In the main reception area, you can either choose to sit in little booths if you fancy privicy or in the centre where you will find tortoises wondering around! - Authentic Morrocan slippers are also provided to chill around the Riad in.
I shared a room with 2 friends - although i say room, it was more like a suite! - we had a huge bathroom with a shower steam room, sunken bath and seperate loo - the decor was just magical. I have never been somewhere like Riad El Fenn before but am definately going to return - hopefully in the very near future. I had big holiday blues when we touched down on English soil on Sunday night!
The positioning of the Riad is also ideal as it is a stones throw from the Souk which was hugely useful for all the shopping we did!
The food and drink was equisite and you could pretty much have whatever you asked for.
To top it all off, when the bill came it was really reasonable and brilliant value for money. Riad El Fenn is a true winner and i cant wait to return - thank you to the wonderful staff aswell as they definately deserve a huge mention - they were fabulous. And lastly, the Hammam was an experience i will never forget!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I’ve just come back from the most amazing weekend in Riad El Fenn which was definitely not long enough! I’ve been to Marrakech a couple of times before but never stayed here and wish I had been introduced to the Riad earlier. Passing through inconspicuous doorway from the street you immediately enter a beautiful oasis (which you never want to leave). The main courtyard is a gorgeous garden with a petal filled central fountain and even a family of tortoises. From there we were lead to our rooms each of which was individual and each as luxurious as the next. We were travelling in a big group so had the benefit of being able to explore many of the rooms which all had a unique identity and I would have happily stayed in any of them (all of them if I had the time!). We were in a great room with a wonderful turquoise bathroom and the biggest shower I have ever seen.

Up on the top of the Riad is a lavish roof terrace which was perfect for enjoying a glass or two of Moroccan Rose whilst admiring the view of the Atlas mountains. There is even a bowling green for those who fancied a bit of light exercise. We had drinks up here in the evening which was spectacular. We were then treated to an incredible dinner for our friend’s 30th birthday by the pool downstairs. The whole place was lit by candles and looked stunning not to mention the delicious lamb which was impressively presented with a small firework display!

The Riad is located right on the edge of the souk – close enough for a wonderfully stress free shopping experience. We had brilliant Moustafa (part tour guide, part comedian) show us around the secret parts of the city one day and take us to the best shopping in the souk. All of the staff at Riad El Fenn were unfailingly helpful and were a massive part of why the weekend was so enjoyable – I cannot thank them enough and I will be back!

Room Tip: All are beautiful and each unique
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to El Fenn? Share your experiences!