“down the rabbit hole!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Fenn

Save Saved
You added El Fenn to your Saves list
El Fenn
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Derb Moullay Abdullah Ben Hezzian | Bab el Ksour, Medina, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #41 of 461 Hotels in Marrakech
london
“down the rabbit hole!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

This hotel is exactly what you want from staying in Marrakesh!
Beautiful unique rooms, glorious court yards, amazingly positioned- 20mins from airport and right next to the souk, tortoises crawling around, fresh flowers carefully placed in each fountain.

It is a world in the hotel, each corner you could get lost turning in to yet another beautiful court yard.

I could not imagine staying anywhere else!

I would recommend for lunch the daily special. This is fresh Moroccan style vegetables with either fish or meat. You can wait for you surprise meal while sipping mint tea and listening to the call to prayer. You feel like you have travelled back in time and left all you problems far far away.

I read trip advisor a lot and I wish in this case I could give six stars!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I am writing a little late but had to say how incredible Riad El Fenn is! - i would highly recommend it to anyone who is thinking about visiting Marrakesh. I think it would pretty much suit any sort of group/family going as it is so diverse and accomodating to see to your every need. As it was, i visited for a friend's 30th Birthday - it was just perfect. There is the most incredible roof terrace with a restaurant, bar and boules lawn - there are also multiple comfortable sofas etc to lounge around on in the sun with a glass of Moroccan rose. In the main reception area, you can either choose to sit in little booths if you fancy privicy or in the centre where you will find tortoises wondering around! - Authentic Morrocan slippers are also provided to chill around the Riad in.
I shared a room with 2 friends - although i say room, it was more like a suite! - we had a huge bathroom with a shower steam room, sunken bath and seperate loo - the decor was just magical. I have never been somewhere like Riad El Fenn before but am definately going to return - hopefully in the very near future. I had big holiday blues when we touched down on English soil on Sunday night!
The positioning of the Riad is also ideal as it is a stones throw from the Souk which was hugely useful for all the shopping we did!
The food and drink was equisite and you could pretty much have whatever you asked for.
To top it all off, when the bill came it was really reasonable and brilliant value for money. Riad El Fenn is a true winner and i cant wait to return - thank you to the wonderful staff aswell as they definately deserve a huge mention - they were fabulous. And lastly, the Hammam was an experience i will never forget!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I’ve just come back from the most amazing weekend in Riad El Fenn which was definitely not long enough! I’ve been to Marrakech a couple of times before but never stayed here and wish I had been introduced to the Riad earlier. Passing through inconspicuous doorway from the street you immediately enter a beautiful oasis (which you never want to leave). The main courtyard is a gorgeous garden with a petal filled central fountain and even a family of tortoises. From there we were lead to our rooms each of which was individual and each as luxurious as the next. We were travelling in a big group so had the benefit of being able to explore many of the rooms which all had a unique identity and I would have happily stayed in any of them (all of them if I had the time!). We were in a great room with a wonderful turquoise bathroom and the biggest shower I have ever seen.

Up on the top of the Riad is a lavish roof terrace which was perfect for enjoying a glass or two of Moroccan Rose whilst admiring the view of the Atlas mountains. There is even a bowling green for those who fancied a bit of light exercise. We had drinks up here in the evening which was spectacular. We were then treated to an incredible dinner for our friend’s 30th birthday by the pool downstairs. The whole place was lit by candles and looked stunning not to mention the delicious lamb which was impressively presented with a small firework display!

The Riad is located right on the edge of the souk – close enough for a wonderfully stress free shopping experience. We had brilliant Moustafa (part tour guide, part comedian) show us around the secret parts of the city one day and take us to the best shopping in the souk. All of the staff at Riad El Fenn were unfailingly helpful and were a massive part of why the weekend was so enjoyable – I cannot thank them enough and I will be back!

Room Tip: All are beautiful and each unique
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Riad el Fenn is wonderful...

The bedrooms are all different and all fantastic - high ceilings, very tastefully decorated and with lovely bathrooms.

The roof terrace is enormous and an excellent location to idle away the afternoon relaxing in the sun, perhaps mixed in with a break for lunch, a swim, a massage or game of boules (or indeed a trip shopping in the souk/market).

We were there for a friend's 30th Birthday Party and the staff really put a treat on for us with drinks on the roof terrace followed by an outdoor feast by one of the pools - a whole lamb was brought out for us fitted with Birthday sparklers et al, which was absolutely delicious and the staff were incredibly efficient ensuring that our glasses were never empty!

It really was a great place to stay and I can't recommend it any higher.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

My stay from start to finish was incredible! The rooms were beautifully presented and comfy. The hotel itself was absolutely divine with beautiful decor, fab spa options and delicious food (def opt for the well priced special mixed lunch - varies day to day with the available fresh produce). Breakfast was also a delight - a menu of treats, the best for me being the Moroccan porridge full of cinnamon and almonds. The kind, attentive, and friendly staff are also on hand constantly to help you with anything. There were one or two times where their help was indispensable during my trip! The drivers are also fantastic. I would recommend staying here to everyone! Thank you Riad El Fenn!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Having always used tripadvisor to take information, I'm finally going to contribute for the very fist time. I wouldn't normally be the one reading this, I'd have clicked straight to "terrible" reviews; which I now realise is itself a terrible way to choose a hotel. If like me you go round the world just looking for the least-worst hotels to stay in, dismissing all rave reviews as marketing or naive misplaced praise, then like me you probably don't deserve to stay at Riad El Fenn.

A friend decided to have a birthday week end here so tripadvisor wasn't consulted prior, in any case, but I've seldom been so well directed as it was the most heavenly place I've possibly ever (and I apologise in advance, this whole review is going to sound like I'm over-egging it, believe me I'm not) stayed.

The rooms were incredible. We were sleeping in the most basic they have (it doesn't even get a mention on the website) but I could have moved in and stayed forever. It was lovely, perfectly proportioned, sweet and pretty. I had a good snoop around the other rooms (there was a big group of us) and some of them were so palatial that the Sun King himself, or his sultanate equivalent, would have found little to complain about.

What made this place so idyllic were the twin factors of overall impression and minute detail. The overall picture is impressive, set over a number of courtyards each with a very different character, a fantastic roof terrace with boulle lawn, two pools, restaurant and so on. I'm sure it's all listed on the website.

But it was the minute detail that you only study when you're there lying in the bath, that really confirmed its near-perfection. Each little thing had been thought about with the precision and love of an artist. How many quality hotels in big cities do you stay in where you go into another room and it's got exactly the same stuff? Plenty, if not most. At Riad El Fenn it was as though each room was really someone's (your) own bedroom! All the rooms had different furnishings and an individual style that suited the setting exquisitely, from the books they'd chosen for the room to the lamp on the desk, it was clearly a labour of love. Likewise in the communal areas, wonderful works of art would pop out unexpectedly around each corner; the baskets they put the bread in at lunch, the beautiful-yet-simple vials of soap by the baths, the leather floors, it all knit together to create an experience so delicately crafted and luxuriously executed that I can't imagine staying in a Hilton again.

I'm racking my brains to think of anything negative to write, just so you don't think that I'm the manager there or I'm bezzy-mates with the owner or something. And I really can't. Honestly. I've been paused at my keyboard for about 3 minutes, pondering. The staff were wonderful, I was suspicious about Moroccan wine but was won over, the location couldn't have been better, really tripadvisor, I can't think of any negatives.

If I was forced at gunpoint to settle on a negative, to it would be simply to note that of an entire week end I left the Riad only twice, once to spend just an hour in the souk, and the other to reluctantly take a car to the airport. The stay was so perfect that I passed up on one of the most beautiful cities in the world to spend more time in my hotel. Which is cheating as a negative, but pretty much sums it up. As soon as I've saved up enough, I'll be back.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

As a part of a large group visiting for the weekend I cannot recommend Riad El Fenn more. From seamless transfers, tea outside your room every day, endless complimentary tea and cakes in the afternoon, unmatched friendliness and service, exceptional cleanliness, a beautiful and very reasonably priced spa allowing complete escape from the hubub of the markets, impeccable food (with no issues), amazing lunches and all set right in the heart of town. Look no further - we're already looking to stay again next year for sure.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to El Fenn? Share your experiences!