“A shower of superlatives” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Fenn

Save Saved
You added El Fenn to your Saves list
El Fenn
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Derb Moullay Abdullah Ben Hezzian | Bab el Ksour, Medina, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #42 of 462 Hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“A shower of superlatives”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Having always used tripadvisor to take information, I'm finally going to contribute for the very fist time. I wouldn't normally be the one reading this, I'd have clicked straight to "terrible" reviews; which I now realise is itself a terrible way to choose a hotel. If like me you go round the world just looking for the least-worst hotels to stay in, dismissing all rave reviews as marketing or naive misplaced praise, then like me you probably don't deserve to stay at Riad El Fenn.

A friend decided to have a birthday week end here so tripadvisor wasn't consulted prior, in any case, but I've seldom been so well directed as it was the most heavenly place I've possibly ever (and I apologise in advance, this whole review is going to sound like I'm over-egging it, believe me I'm not) stayed.

The rooms were incredible. We were sleeping in the most basic they have (it doesn't even get a mention on the website) but I could have moved in and stayed forever. It was lovely, perfectly proportioned, sweet and pretty. I had a good snoop around the other rooms (there was a big group of us) and some of them were so palatial that the Sun King himself, or his sultanate equivalent, would have found little to complain about.

What made this place so idyllic were the twin factors of overall impression and minute detail. The overall picture is impressive, set over a number of courtyards each with a very different character, a fantastic roof terrace with boulle lawn, two pools, restaurant and so on. I'm sure it's all listed on the website.

But it was the minute detail that you only study when you're there lying in the bath, that really confirmed its near-perfection. Each little thing had been thought about with the precision and love of an artist. How many quality hotels in big cities do you stay in where you go into another room and it's got exactly the same stuff? Plenty, if not most. At Riad El Fenn it was as though each room was really someone's (your) own bedroom! All the rooms had different furnishings and an individual style that suited the setting exquisitely, from the books they'd chosen for the room to the lamp on the desk, it was clearly a labour of love. Likewise in the communal areas, wonderful works of art would pop out unexpectedly around each corner; the baskets they put the bread in at lunch, the beautiful-yet-simple vials of soap by the baths, the leather floors, it all knit together to create an experience so delicately crafted and luxuriously executed that I can't imagine staying in a Hilton again.

I'm racking my brains to think of anything negative to write, just so you don't think that I'm the manager there or I'm bezzy-mates with the owner or something. And I really can't. Honestly. I've been paused at my keyboard for about 3 minutes, pondering. The staff were wonderful, I was suspicious about Moroccan wine but was won over, the location couldn't have been better, really tripadvisor, I can't think of any negatives.

If I was forced at gunpoint to settle on a negative, to it would be simply to note that of an entire week end I left the Riad only twice, once to spend just an hour in the souk, and the other to reluctantly take a car to the airport. The stay was so perfect that I passed up on one of the most beautiful cities in the world to spend more time in my hotel. Which is cheating as a negative, but pretty much sums it up. As soon as I've saved up enough, I'll be back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

As a part of a large group visiting for the weekend I cannot recommend Riad El Fenn more. From seamless transfers, tea outside your room every day, endless complimentary tea and cakes in the afternoon, unmatched friendliness and service, exceptional cleanliness, a beautiful and very reasonably priced spa allowing complete escape from the hubub of the markets, impeccable food (with no issues), amazing lunches and all set right in the heart of town. Look no further - we're already looking to stay again next year for sure.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

This morning I woke up back home in my own bed after a weekend at Riad el Fenn and I am suffering from serious withdrawal symptoms. There were no flasks of coffee outside my door and no one to make me the amazing homemade porridge and yogurt I have become accustomed to, whilst taking in the morning sun on the rooftop looking out over Marrakech and the Atlas Mountains. I was only there for four days but it seems as if I had been there for so much longer, my very own Narnia.

We had a lovely tour guide (organised by the hotel) that described the charm of Marrakech as the 'beauty within'. This applied to el Fenn with it unassuming entrance that opens into an oasis from which one can escape the hustle and bustle of the city. From the second we arrived we were made to feel at home with all the staff bending over backwards to tend to our every whim. To our delight we were told that we had been upgraded to room six with it's own private terrace and plunge pool, what a treat for my husbands 30th birthday. We ate lunch and dinner at the hotel on the first day, and I would highly recommend getting the daily special that consisted of a selection of fresh vegetables with meat or fish, Moroccan style. My husband and I had our first hammam experience in the spa where we were scrubbed, steamed and submerged in cold pool followed by a massage. The experience was surprisingly relaxing, and I left feeling refreshed and rejuvenated for the evening ahead.

We had a group of friends join us for the weekend and the hotel organised everything for us, from eating out to things to do and see to an incredible dinner party in one of the secluded courtyards by one of the swimming pools. Yulia, Karima, Sara, Alesandra, Hussain and his team all worked so hard to make this the best dinner party any of us had ever been to. They covered the whole area in lanterns and flowers, lit a fire pit and laid the prettiest table ever, we even had our own speaker system set up to play 20's music. Their attention to detail is impeccable and this is clear to see throughout the hotel, from the fresh patterns of rose petals arranged in the fountains each day to the basket of multicoloured moroccan slippers for the guests to pad around the hotel in. Everyone drank far too much of the delicious Sahara rose and the food was a spectacle for the eyes as well as the stomach with a whole lamb being presented to the table before being ceremoniously carved before us.

This hotel really is a (much nicer, more spoiling) home away from home and I will definitely be returning, our group has decided it would be a lovely annual trip, but given the option I would happily move there tomorrow!

Our only regret was that having taken a closer look at the bill (which was very reasonable) we have noticed that no service had been charged at any point during the weekend, and with everyone working day and night to make this a holiday we will never forget I feel hugely embarrassed and plan to rectify the situation as soon as possible. Without the team at Riad el Fenn I would have not had any time to relax and enjoy myself between organising a group of people, but they took everything off my hands, and did a much better job than I ever could.

london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

From the magnificent and homely rooms, with a bath that could easily be mistaken for a swimming pool, to the super cool bar and restaurant, this Riad makes for an all encopassing experience. There really is something for everyone here, with endless nooks and crannies where you happen upon swimming pools and dining areas, moroccan day beds and roaring fires, fresh made tea cakes and mint tea and the endless sound of birds singing. But most impressive of all was the the never ending attention to detail from all the staff and their way of making you feel totally at home in the Riad and in Marrakech as a whole, great tips on shops, bars and restaurants. We travelled as a group of friends but I would jsut as soon return with my husband and daugher. This Riad is a gem - I can't recommend it highly enough!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

We had dinner here and it was really fab! Very beautiful fashiony restaurant with charming staff and delicious food. A real treat and next time I would stay here as well,as the hotel staff were the most charming and helpful in Marrakech. Also gad a very nice shop with better end buts and bobs should you need to take back a really nice present for someone.

london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

From the moment we were picked up at the airport everything was wonderful. Amazing views from the roof, friendly staff and a totally spectacular room. They deliver coffee and pastries to your room first thing in the morning and then you have breakfast on the roof. Can't wait to get back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Utrecht, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Three generations of women (myself = granny ), my daughter and my granddaughter (age 10) stayed here for 3 nights. A wonderful experience. Courtyards with plants,birds and tortoises, high tea served every day, rooftop terrace for breakfast and/or lazing about, pool, hamman (the hotel treated us to this great experience), good restaurant, big basket with lovely leather slippers for the guests to use, each morning a tray with tea, coffee and some typical Morrocan sweets outside your door...We felt like spoilt princesses. No television - but we did not care about that! There is a library, and a "cinema room" where guests can view a film from the selection offered. I would suggest the direction, though, to also provide some for children, and some games, like chess, draughts etc. And just to acknowledge that perfection does not really exist: There was evidence of some overdue maintenance in our room.
We were picked up from the airport and taken back there, with our suitcases carried, put in the mini-van etc. Instead of tipping every time, the hotel reception has a big box on display in which to put an amount of one's own choosing before leaving. In this way, it is explained, all the employees get an honest share. We were very pleased to comply. We booked a guide for a walking tour in the old city and another one to the mountains. Both arranged by the hotel, both friendly and polite, especially kind to my granddaughter.
I did not find an elevator but that doesn't necessariy mean there isn't one. Yet, perhaps for those who cannot climb stairs this is not the best hotel in the city. We happened to hear that the Dutch crown prince Willem-Alexander and his wife princess Maxima stayed here, too. I am confident they liked the experience too!The hotel itself does not boast about it.

Room Tip: I wouldn't know. As soon as you're inside, it is quiet, and nice nooks to be found everywher...