“GIRLFRIENDS BIRTHDAY :)” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hivernage Hotel & Spa

You added Hivernage Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Hivernage Hotel & Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Angle Ave Echouhada et Rue des Temples | Quartier Hivernage, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #295 of 465 Hotels in Marrakech
“GIRLFRIENDS BIRTHDAY :)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Me and my girlfriend travelled to Morocco, Marrakesh in November and stayed a few nights at the Hivernage Hotel & Spa. We originally booked Atlas & Medina Spa Hotel but due to some unforseen circumstances, (the hotel shutting down) we had to stay in Hivernage Hotel & Spa. Before arriving, we did some research on the hotel and upon arrival we were amazed at how nice the hotel was. The front desk staff were very polite and made checking in simple and efficient, while maintaining a good conversation and even making a few jokes in English. Our room was massive and had a nice Moroccan feel to it. My girlfriend loved it! The front room had had a massive TV in it and the bedroom was separate which also had a TV and a king size bed for us. The bed sheets were clean and so were the towels, which were changed daily. The bathroom had a jet tub, that didn't work but it wasn't a big deal. We prefer showers. There was a small sauna room in the bathroom which we also enjoyed! The few things I have to highlight are, the rooms had very dim lights so it was hard to see anything, even with the curtains open in the day. There was hardly any plugs in the bedroom so we had to charge our phones in the main room. The hotel breakfast was not the best, neither were the staff. We ate there once and once one. We saw one lizard on the first night which scared my girlfriend but it was not a major problem for me. Last but not least, the pool!!!!! The hotels layout prevents any sun from getting to the pool!! All in all, it was a good stay nevertheless and I highly recommend staying in this hotel. It is not far from the markets and main Marrakesh.

Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Rogers, Arkansas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Eleven members of VOSH (Volunteer Optometric Services to Humanity) a vision mission team from the USA spent 6 nights here. Our accommodations were lovely, comfortable and exceptionally clean. The bar, breakfasts and the restaurant were perfect. Hotel staff and reception were most helpful and friendly. They stowed our extra baggage while we toured Morocco for a week.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Xavier A, Manager at Hivernage Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Madam,

Thank you for your comment, you comment has been given to the concerned team member.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I stayed at the Hivernage for 3 nights and found the staff to be the worst thing about the hotel. Reception staff seem unwilling and unhappy to help and are just generally unfriendly. One even got simple directions wrong and didn't offer a city map, I had to request one. I was also charged a deposit greater than my hotel bill upon arrival - not sure if this is standard hotel policy or just something they do if they don't like the look of someone. Some of the gym staff are good, offering water and towels, but others just sit on the exercise machines looking at their mobile phones. I seemed to be the first person in the gym a couple of mornings, even at 8am, and had to ask and wait for staff to open the doors and turn the machines on, so make sure you factor this eventuality into your workout time. It is an excellent gym. As other reviewers have mentioned, no indoor pool though this is advertised and when I asked about it I was told it was being renovated so not sure if this is true or not?! Cleaning staff encountered were a credit to the hotel - friendly and helpful and room was cleaned to a good standard but there was a terrible smell of sewage/drains coming from the bathroom throughout the duration of my stay. The room was well furnished with a good range of international channels and I had an excellent 3 nights' sleep - no noise even though room looking out onto the street, blackout curtains and a super comfortable huge bed with proper duvet.
A good choice of options at breakfast, including salad, delicious olives, cheeses, cold meats, hot options, fruits, pastries and an omelette station where they kindly prepared poached eggs upon request. But a lot of breakfast staff just hanging around and not being overly attentive or competent. I understand that French is spoken much more than English but only one member of staff seemed to understand my repeated simple request for a cup of hot water each morning (I'm afraid I didn't get his name but he was friendly and excellent, remembering my request by the third morning) - it wouldn't be hard for the staff to smile and to say 'Je ne comprend pas' if that is the case and to find someone who is able to help. Also the coffee is obviously from a drinks machine, comes loaded with sugar and is not very good. Recommend the cafe au lait over the cappuccino on the basis it tastes less hampered with and marginally closer to the real deal. Disappointing and hard to understand for a hotel of this standard. Be warned that staff start clearing the breakfast away earlier than the end time of 11am.
Location is good - an easy walk to the medina and a Carrefour supermarket - but a strange contrast between this area which feels similar to Dubai with upmarket hotels, shops, clubs etc and well-heeled patrons and the hectic medina close by.
Make sure you don't pay more than 100MAD for a taxi to the airport and there should be some outside the hotel so you shouldn't need to enlist the hotel's help to find one.
Overall I would say this is a nice hotel with some good facilities but let down by a general air of incompetence, some poor service and unfriendly staff. Could be much improved with just a few tweaks.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Greetings from Marrakech,

Despite the title, I see you enjoyed most of the services of the hotel.

We would like to have you help, It is true we had a indoor pool but we improved our Spa (brand new one now), we had to cancel it to add more space for the confort of our guests. We checked on our website and supports but we did not see any mention of it. Must be with one of our partner, please tell us where, we will ask for correction.

The deposit requested is a bit more of the stay to cover the extras. We confirm, it is a usual practice in hotels.

The service in restaurant has been well noticed. We usually have good comments but you show that service is a perpetual effort. Thank you for this.

We hope to see you again in our hotel to check our improvement.

Rabat, Morocco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I went to check in, and I was surprised that my name is not listed in the reservation list, (maybe it was a misunderstanding with the booking agency). Anyway, after few hours they avert me that my reservation was confirmed. and I can check in at any time. due to my business, I went to the hotel few hours after the call. and, my room is not ready yet. I don't know the exact amount of time took them to get it ready, 'cause I had to leave.
My room hasn't any view. I was in the 1st floor, my friend was in the 2nd with A/C noise, they gave us their worst rooms. Nobody told us they have a 7th floor bar, neither they have a view on Kotoubia.
The only thing that satisfied me very well, was the restaurant, whether the dinner or the breakfast, the staff was professional and helpful.
In your staying, the steam room will be available for you, I've been there twice. and the one thing I didn't like is they don't clean between customers use nor give towel to sit on.
I didn't stay during the day inside the hotel so I don't know if there's something that I didn't notice.
when I want to checkout, they were additional beverage charges, for me as for my friend, and even we had dinner together, and we had the same beverage which was water, the amount of charges wasn't the same, I still can't figure it out. the receptionist didn't even explain, she just stop interacting with us.
An other person I guess the manager, came and told us that they're no added charges.

Room Tip: Avoid the 106 has a street view but nothing to see, and part of it you can see the 'table du mar...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Greetings from Marrakech,

Thank you for your comments.

You are right our hotel has one of the best position downtown and our our restaurant La Table du Marche remains one of the best restaurant in Marrakech.

We apology for the room you had later and it is explained by the time we had to take to confirm your reservation with your booking agent.

London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2014

After booking a riad, and finding it was incredibly unliveable we moved to this lovely hotel.

Reception- very unfriendly and i must say, kind of unhelpful. But you barely interact with these guys.

Other staff- lobby staff are very friendly, helpful and alway seem happy which is always nice to see! Cleaners are good, spoke no english but they worked around that the best they could! Breakfast staff... AMAZING! Helpful and well, just great!!!

Hotel - clean and safe! The roof top has amazing views but speaking as a cocktail lover, the list is short! The hotel was helpful in booking taxi's etc but the main thing for us was that the rooms where clean, decent size and very comfy duvets!!!

Stayed November 2014
Greetings from Marrakech,

Thank you for your comments and and we are delight you enjoyed our hotel.

We hope to see you again in Marrakech.

Netanya, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2014

My third trip to Marrakech in as many years, previously stayed in the Es Saadi Hotel and the Sofitel. The Hivernage is without a doubt the best value of the three.

Location is excellent - in the Hivernage area opposite the Sofitel and quite close to the Medina (15 minute walk).

Lobby is small but attractive - that goes for the whole hotel. Nice boutique atmosphere all around.

Room was spacious and comfortable - huge king size bed that wasn't too soft. Wifi was included. Large workspace. Plenty of closet space. Bathroom was large with separate toilet.

Breakfast was great - not an enormous buffet, but certainly more than adequate. Service was very good. I also ate dinner in the restaurant - very good food, excellent service, nice ambience.

All around excellent value if you don't care about 5 star opulence (which will cost you 5 times as much..... at least).

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your comment and we are happy your enjoyed the hotel and our teams.

Finland, Europe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2014

Stayed at Hivernage for 3 nights and enjoyed the local flavours of the city pretty much. The hotel is located at an upmarket hotel area having a short 10 min walk to Medina. The rooftop bar was the best at the hotel with cool chilling music & amazing views all around the city. The room was ok considering the stars of the hotel although not quite as chich as in the photos at the website. The pillows were very thick ones and pretty hard as well as the bed. Breakfast was good with great variety and French flavours. However most of the warm dishes were cold on all the mornings, because after preparation they were not kept in warm. The restaurant was very good with hip international music & atmosphere & delicious food, however it was also rather pricey.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Xavier A, General Manager at Hivernage Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 18, 2014
Greetings from Marrakech,

Thank you for your comments and we well noted your points.

We hope to see you again in the "Red City".

Sincerely yours.

Been to Hivernage Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!