“Very good in some regards, service more like a 3 star European” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hivernage Hotel & Spa

You added Hivernage Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Hivernage Hotel & Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Angle Ave Echouhada et Rue des Temples | Quartier Hivernage, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #292 of 462 Hotels in Marrakech
Dublin, Ireland
“Very good in some regards, service more like a 3 star European”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

This is an average hotel at a good price in the most upscale district of Marrakech.
Luxurious feel in the lobby complemented by tea at check in.
My room, while perfectly fine had a problem with the door handle so they gave me a different room but this took some time. Replacement room was lovely, overlooking the pool (only 1 room on each floor overlooks the pool area; the others overlook the street). Bed was super comfortable and pillows were fantastic. Sheets, while clean and crisp, looked a little worn. Room was serviced daily - no complaints there. Bathroom was fine; a little worn out and the shower head didn't attach to the wall.
Pool area is nice and kept tidy throughout the day offering snacks and drinks (including alcohol - hurrah!). Prices are high but are on par with a European resort hotel.
My main gripe with this hotel is with their Wi-Fi; this was a working holiday for me between work trips and as such I needed a reliable connection for Skype, emails etc. I had contacted the hotel in advance and they assured me I'd be fine. For the first two days the signal was OK but went down a few times sometimes for no longer than an hour. No big deal. On the third day it just gave up entirely around 4pm and it wasn't back online until well after 5.30pm the next day. OK so everyone has tech difficulties. However, it was the manner in which the staff handled this which I had a problem with. They more or less told me that it was my equipment (I have a PC laptop and an iPhone) that was at fault, pulling out laptops in the lobby showing me a Google start page as if I was psychotic and fabricating the entire incident! Anyone at Reception I spoke to about it more or less ignored me until I got quite irritated and demanded further action or a refund so i could go stay in a different hotel. Eventually a "tech" guy came to my room and fiddled about with my computer (basically doing nothing) while a Junior Manager (the same one who continually thought I was making this up and more or less said so) looked on. They went away scratching their heads. Eventually, through no expertise of the techie, or myself for that matter, the connection started to work again. No idea why. However it was the way in which the entire matter was handled made me believe that if I had experienced other difficulties then the same sort of customer service would have been absolutely unacceptable. iPhone's data services don't work on the local phone networks so Wi-Fi is essential if you need to stay in contact.
Spa was nice with complimentary Hamman and Sauna. Massages were very expensive however.
Bottom line; have low expectations and be wowed. Leave your technology at home. Sofitel across the street is an amazing hotel with genuine WOW factor and is not that much more expensive. I'd pay the extra and stay there if you can afford the difference.

Room Tip: Try get a room overlooking the pool. Only one on each floor so be quick. I stayed in Room 210.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Four words..You will love it..where to start..rooms were awesome. the room was very clean even by european standards and the staff had beautifully decorated it for our welcome. I won't reveal the surprise but trust me you will be really wowed by a certain aspect of the welcome decoration. The location is very good. 10-15 min from airport, train station and the Medina. Also a casino and 1-2 clubs nearby where there is live music. The Hotel has multiple resturants and lounges. If you just want to be lazy you need not go anywhere. Their resturant, snacks bar, desert bar and the lounge is truly exceptional. The breakfast was excellent. They also have free access to steam bath,spa,fitness etc. Overall I was very pleasedd in my 2.5 days. Unfortunately all good things come to an end..but we will definitely return to this hotel when we will be in Marrakech again

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

The Hotel Hivernage has the most helpful staff I have ever experienced. the front desk helped me contact local tourist services, change my flights and secure reservations. The breakfast buffet was very good and the pool service and food were quite pleasing. My room was large, well furnished with a balcony overlooking the Medina.

Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Went for a short break in August towards the end of Ramadan, and had a great time. The staff spoke a variety of languages and were happy to assist with arranging daytrips etc. The hotel complex is situated in a convenient central location, has a great pool and spa, and serves great food. For a short break in Morocco I would definitely head back there.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

We stayed in this hotel with a friend for 4 nights.

The hotel is located in a nice neighbourhood few minutes away from the hustle and bustle of the main square. Hotel décor was quite nice and the pool was lovely.

We however had a number of problems with the hotel:
The first room we got given was right next to the lift and was very noisy, lots of noise from people walking in/out and banging from floors below

We complained and got moved to a different room. Couple of problems with this room- firstly the carpets were extremely dirty, there was no wi-fi, the sheets had stains and holes and the rooms were not cleaned everyday. When they were cleaned, it was very rushed and a half job- carpets would not be hovered and sheets would not be changed. There was building work just outside the window and so we were woken up by loud banging from about 7am in the morning.

We complained about 4 times about the wi-fi before the problem was addressed, we did not get offered more help regarding the wi-fi so ended up sitting in the lobby till early hours of the morning to use the internet

Language barriers were quite a problem- some of the staff were very helpful with little English, whilst some especially the catering staff could not communicate even one word in English.
Breakfast was ok, not the best and got monotonous after a few days.

The best Part was the Spa! The staff and treatments were amazing. I would probably stay in a different hotel next time and visit the spa at Hivernage hotel.

The hotel did not have much information on tourism..any information available was in french

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed for 5 nights after we moved from a nearby Riad that we had issues with. The Hivernage Hotel was quite good. Firstly the location is about 10-15 minutes walk from Jamaâ El Fna Square. You can easily get a small taxi but getting them to use the meter is difficult however most will take you for 10 dirham. The front desk staff that we had contact with especially Hassan and Hannan were very helpful. I was very impressed with Hassan's attention to detail, he assisted us on several occasions and exceeded our expectations. The rooms were of reasonable size but a bit dated, the air conditioning was great with such hot weather outside. The mattress sagged a bit, I think it was two singles joined together. Breakfast was a bit simple for a buffet, the chef cooking the omelette saved the breakfast. The pool was nice also. The other spa facilities and roof top we didn't use. I would stay here again due to the good service provided by the front desk staff.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
south africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

I cannot believe the poor reviews for this hotel.The staff ,from the general manager down, went out of their to be helpful and friendly.My young daughter loved every minute of the special attention she received.Breakfast was excellant as was the food, service and ambience in the main restaurant.Service at the pool side bar was quick ,efficient and friendly.Our room was bright and clean,the a/c worked perfectly as did the shower etc.The hotel location was excellant being a short and safe walk to the Medina and a 10 minute taxi ride to the airport. PS wife and daughter loved the Spa!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hivernage Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!