“They gave my room away!” 1 of 5 stars

Riad Janat Salam
53, Avenue Houmane Fetouaki Arset Lamaach Medina, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #1,007 of 1,120 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Frederick, Maryland
“They gave my room away!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2015

I went to Riad Janat Salam in person on 12/31/2014 and asked to book a room for the nights of 1/1/2015 and 1/2/2015. The guy at the desk said sure, no problem. I told him I'd be arriving in the evening on 1/1 (because I'd be coming back from a short trip to the Atlas Mountains). I gave him my name, he said OK, all set, see you tomorrow.

So, in the evening of 1/1, I get back from a long day in the mountains, the same guy is at the desk, and he tells me he has given away my room to another customer --- supposedly because I did not come and check in earlier that day and because I did not pay for the room in advance. (This despite the fact that I had told him, the day before, that I'd be arriving in the evening --- and he didn't ask me for payment in advance when he easily could have done so if that was going to be an issue.) So I was stuck without a room, on a night when most of the riads in Marrakech were already full. And he was really smarmy, rude, and unhelpful about it.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Lisbon, Lisboa, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

This Riad is aweasome!!!!
Just a 2 minutes walking from the square Jemaa el Fnaa in the center of the medina, this riad is very friendly and cheap (25€) night.
The rooms are small but clean, and with AIR CONDITIONING.
All employees and owner are extremely friendly and attentive, We loved them!!
Breakfast is tasty!
In front of the Riad there are two car parkings, The price is about 30 dh (3 euros) by day.
It´s a great Riad advise to anyone who want visiting Marrakech!!!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

I have spent over a month traveling around Morocco with 2 other (another girl aged 19 and my brother 21) and have stayed in many wonderful places. However this was by far the worst experience I have ever had in a hotel. THEY WHERE RUDE, INSULTING, ATTEMPTED TO OVER CHARGE FOR THERE MISTAKE AND THREATENING ALL WITHIN THE FIRST HOUR OF ARRIVING.
We arrived at 11.30pm after a 5 hour journey from the atlas and all we wanted to do was check in and go to bed. I had made the reservation through booking.com and had conformation of the reservation. However the man behind the desk quickly informed us that they had infact given away our triple room and that we would now have to pay double for an extra room or cancel our reservation and he would.give us the room at the set price of £30.
THIS IS A SCAM!!!
If you read the terms and conditions on booking.com by canceling a room with less than 48hrs notice you have to pay 100% of the first night charge. Since we where only staying one night we then would have had to pay the charge for the cancellation and the £30 for the room. So effectively doing exactly the same as paying double for the extra room, which we never even wanted.
After an hour of arguing and the rude man behind the desk telling my brother to 'CONTROL HIS WOMEN' I called booking.com who where very helpful and where happy to talk to the hotel and tell them they where not allowed to charge us any additional costs for the mistake. The riad however refused to talk to them and instead called the owner of the riad to come and as the man behind the desk phrased is 'SORT US OUT'.
Needless to stay we didn't choose to stay any longer, by the point it was 1am and instead opted to find somewhere else. I think it says alot about a hotel that 3 teenagers would prefer to wander the streets of marrakech in the middle of the nights rather than stay at there establishment. We found a lovely place to stay RIAD LILA, which is beautiful and welcoming.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Padua, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

It was really cheap but: the shower flooded all the bathroom every time; the room and the bathroom didn't have any window; the AC drip all over the floor and still the owner didn't fix it after that we told him for two times. Dirty sheets and dust on carpets. Further more the riad is on a busy street so that the the rooms were very noisy and at the same time you can't have any privacy due to the poor insulation of walls and doors.
We will not return into this riad again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Stetten, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed here 2 nights and enjoyed it very much. It was very cheap, the rooms were simple but nice and the place has a very nice view from the public balcony. The staff (Khalil) was very friendly and kindly helped us with several questions we had and mad our stay really relaxing.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sassenheim
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

At the last moment I booked Hotel Riad Janat Salam. It is very near the famous Jamal El Fna and the Soukh. The Hotel is clean, have sober rooms that have so so hygiene. I have seen quite some bugs on my walls and under my bed. They do not vacuum cleam the room onyl whipe the floor so the bugs are there at night. The breakfast is very sober and measured. You can not choose from anything at all. The staff is friendly but als very keen on commision for the excursions they are offering. And if you do one elsewhere they look away. No I will not come here again, sorry.

Room Tip: Take very good care of the hygiene conditions in Marrakech Hotels. It will not make you sick when yo...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Nuremberg, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

+ location, good price on internet (don't forget the "local tax" 2,5 euro Person/Night), good wifi-connection, compare to our experience in Morocco good breakfast

- dirty dark rooms, 2 of them with windows to reception (very noisy), Bathroom stays flooded after one shower forever.

The review belongs to 2rooms at the reception, the other ones in 2. and 3.floor were actually little bit better (and acceptable). We had to move after our shower was broken (it exploded with burst of water). The staff of the riad wanted to pay for the shower, but we have resisted.

All together it was by far our worst acommodation on our Morocco trip (14days)

Room Tip: Second floor rooms were 50-100% better
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad Janat Salam? Share your experiences!