“Completely in love” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #216 of 478 Hotels in Marrakech
New York City, New York
“Completely in love”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

Anytime I think about this place, I have to wipe away a tear because I miss it so much. I'd hop on a plane and come back here in a heartbeat if I could.

As other reviewers have said, it's wonderfully serene and remote -- a sharp contrast with Marrakech itself, which I was surprised to find not so different from New York City where I live, even in the off-season; noisy, quite crowded, tons of traffic. So, it was a relief to be in a hotel outside of the city and away from all of that. It does come with its drawbacks; the twice-daily free hotel shuttle (which, when I was there, ran at 10a to/1p from and 3:30p to/7:30p from the city) might be a bit limiting if you were planning a very active vacation. Then again, you can always call a taxi to take you into the city if you need an earlier start, and the hotel staff are more than happy to arrange that for you if you don't speak any French, even before they come on duty themselves if necessary. (Thanks, Yassine!)

Once I got used to the shuttle system, I found that it was actually a good thing because most of the sights and attractions in Marrakech are quite small, so if you're here for more than a couple of days (I was there for 10 nights), it's a good idea to only go into the city for half-days to do 1 or 2 attractions each day. And then spend the rest of the days lounging on the rooftop terrace, enjoying the quiet and the wonderful weather!

The hotel does seem to cater mostly to couples (and rightfully so; it's such a romantic place), so as a solo traveler I felt a bit awkward at first, but the staff did everything to make me feel at home; they were very friendly and unintrusive. I only wish more of them spoke English so I'd been able to chat with them, since they all seemed like such good, fun, interesting people. :)

I booked the room with the half-board option, which consists of a set menu of either 3 or 4 courses of Moroccan cuisine every night. The food was definitely delicious, though I'm not a big eater so I'm not sure if I personally got good value out of it... but that's my own fault. ;) It was perhaps a tad lacking in variety, or at least it became evident that they're not used to guests staying longer than a week, as after the first week, there were several repeats. It's also worth mentioning that the set menu is the only way to eat Moroccan cuisine at the hotel restaurant, as the a la carte menu is almost entirely French, but you can still order the set menu even if you're not a half-board guest. I'm not sure how much that costs, though, but I did find that the a la carte menu items were very reasonably priced (nothing more expensive than 120 Dh, if I recall). Alcohol was also reasonably priced; you could get a bottle of wine for ~$10.

In short, I am completely in love with this hotel and am already counting my pennies trying to figure out when I can afford to come back again!

A couple of tips:

* I found that the rooms were a bit chilly; there didn't seem to be central heating. I normally always travel with my own fleece blanket, but I hadn't expected to need it... I regretted not bringing it! So, I'd advise you bring a blanket if you're going in the winter.

* If you didn't book a travel package that included a transfer to the hotel and you're coming from the airport or the train station, I'd highly recommend contacting the hotel to arrange one beforehand (thankfully they are very responsive to e-mail so you can take care of it that way if you'd prefer not to make a long-distance call), since most cab drivers don't know where it is and the road isn't exactly straightforward. (And 300 Dh is definitely a rip-off...)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Moose Jaw, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

What a wonderful place! Set in the middle of a small village outside of Marrakech. And what an adventure getting there. The cab driver was not entirely sure where he was going but he got me there safe and sound. 300DH well worth it as it is some distance from the airport. The hotel is very deceptive from the outside but wonderful decor inside. The pool was great, never tried the spa so no comment there. The staff was a delight and non intrusive. The food stunning! Such wonderful lamb dishes! Breakfast is a buffet of meats and pastries, excellent coffee! The rooftop terrace offered wonderful views of the Atlas mountains and surrounding countryside. With only 26 rooms you are guaranteed a private quiet time away from the noise of the city. They provide a shuttle into the city for a nominal fee. Will be going back for sure!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We were 10 adults going for a quad tour and ended up in this hotel for lunch and spa. The place looked very nice and we could even use the nice swimming pool. After the pool we went for a good lunch. The food was good and so was the service. After lunch, 4 people went to the spa and that's where everything went bad. The ladies were not professional at all. They have no real massage technique, they are rough, don't care about asking if the pressure is right and, worst of all, as the place is not closed, they talk and talk and talk between them all the time !!! What a very bad and expensive experience !

Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Inverness
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

My girlfriend and I visited the Kasbah Le Mirage in October 2010 and had the time of our lives. I will attempt to put into words how amazing the Kasbah Le Mirage is.

I' trying to get this down but I don't feel that I can find the superlatives that adequately describe this Hotel, quite simply I think it is the most wonderful holiday I have ever had and the Kasbah totally exceeded our expectations. The Kasbah is situated around 20km from the bus station and you do need at least a mild sense of adventure to get your way out there. We took a 'petit taxi' for fun and whilst the ride quality was terrible on the dirt roads out there but it was a lot of fun.

When we arrived we were treated to a welcome cocktail whilst our room was given the finishing touches for our arrival. We were completely blow away when we entered our room, we received an upgrade to the African suite for our stay which was ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE! The staff were brilliant and very friendly, the food was amazing and the swimming pool area was an area of true tranquillity only interrupted occasionally by goats roaming on the roof chased by local children! That leads to the point that it is situated in a poor area but do not let that put you off; the locals we saw were incredibly friendly and add to the sense that you are truly experiencing the country.

We stayed for five peaceful days before we went to stay in a riad in Marrakech which we found was well needed rest before the craziness of the City. You can however get into the centre of the City via the free shuttle service that the Hotel provides. We found that this was a great way to order our visit to Marrakech because we could relax but also had the option of taking part in outdoor activities organised by the Hotel (some were free).

In summary I would say the Kasbah Le Mirage is a once in a lifetime experience and we would love to go back. Make sure you are fully prepared for an adventure to get the most out of this wonderful resort.

Thank you to everybody at the Kasbah Le Mirage we hope to see you soon.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Watford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

Okay what can i say about this hotel Your being driven along a road and it turns into a dirt track. This is th point at which you should be excited and throw your mobile and worries and work out of the window of the transport that you are in!!!! You do pass through a porr village but let me stop and tell you something really important Your helping by going here for your holiday. The local people if you take the time to meet them and you speak a bit of french are marvellous welcoming and friendly. They almost thank you for coming.
You arrive thinking okay I am open minded and then step through the door and realise that you have dropped a pound and found a tenner. We work in the customer service industry and I can say that from the moment that you arrive to the time you leave you will be looked after and taken care off by the staff here. They are welcoming and will try everything to make your stay a complete pleasure. One of our party has a severe food allergy and they completely understood it and she never had a problem with any of the food They just said no to the food she was allergic to and replaced it with something else. The rooms for me was the best, spending my time in hotels all over the world it was great to find no phone and no television in the room just the sound of the airconditioning unit peace and quiet. Now the heat in July is stiffling so its nice to go to the pool and relax even when its busy it feels like its your own. There is the roof terrace with a lovely berber setting Big tent if your too hot and a lovely Jacuzzi for 4.
Yes you can be negative it has you as its captive audience and the food though lovely is traditonal so if its pie and chips or macdonalds you want then stay in noisy smelly begging Merrakech. We did go twice to Merrakech and was glad to get back to this lovely hotel for the peace and quiet.
They arranged for us to go to the waterfalls in the Mountains which was fantastic but do take good trainers as flip flops are ok but you wont enjoy the climb as much take a towel hat and not a lot else apart from cash to buy your things. HOWEVER you are better off bargaining your way around in Merrakech.
I have just come back and have to say that for the first time in my life I did not want to come home soooooo soon Having spent 6 nights there I can say it was long enough but not long enough if you get my drift. I feel relaxed and more importantly I felt i had a fantastic holiday and a good experience. Morrocco is a thumbs up and this hotel is both hands up in support of what they are trying to achieve 10/10

Room Tip: leave your mobile in your room and enjoy this hotel for peace and hospitality and go to the Mountain...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Alicante, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

I booked with booking.com
No problem there but was told the hotel was only 2km from the centre of marrakech. In fact it is 2km from the boundery making it about 16km from the city center. forget walkabouts.However the hotel is beautiful & the service second to none.Thank god the food was exellent as there was no were else to go,and at a very good price.The hotel offers a free bus service two times a day each way (4x4) this helps.when the new road to the hotel is finished it will help...the village we had to go through is not for the faint hearted or untravelled !
For a romantic break or a get away from it all but want comfort,quality,with no stress this is the place for you......Yes I would go back again,but for pleasure not business

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2011

If you are looking for the best of both worlds then this is the place to stay. Service was excellent picked up at airport and room facilities as in descriptions so no suprises. Loved the traditional feel of the hotel, great to kick back and relax. The hotel have two trips into marrakech daily which just gives you enough time to explore Marrakech in bitesize pieces, which was ok as my 2nd visit. Hotel set in local village so very tranquil, breakfast on the terrace with backdrop of the Atlas Mountains, palms and day to day life. Had two spa treatments enjoyed a 30 minute massage and masque - recommend this. Overall an excellent stay and would definitely go back...

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo

Been to Kasbah Le Mirage? Share your experiences!