“Did not live up to sales pitch” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Club Med Marrakech La Palmeraie

You added Club Med Marrakech La Palmeraie to your Saves list
Club Med Marrakech La Palmeraie
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Sidi Yahya la Palmeraie, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #212 of 462 Hotels in Marrakech
Torquay, United Kingdom
“Did not live up to sales pitch”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

We were sold two deluxe garden rooms, with an adjoining door, to suit our family. On arrival we were given two totally separated rooms - no good for a family! Were we meant our leave our five year old on his own through the night???? Turned out the airconditioning never worked in one room (after three separate call outs) so we all squashed into the one room. No refund no compensation. In fact, one reception staff in particular was worse than rude - she would have been fired elsewhere.

The cleaner harrassed us three times a day (at least), expecting her tip to grow bigger with each enfringement. As soon as she heard us opening our door, she would rush over - this was our holiday - we did not appreciate the hard sell.

The cleaner didnt bother to clean our floors - thick layers of dust. (Too much time spent stalking guests and not enough using the broom!)

The room without aircon was also a haven for mosquitos who flew in by the hundreds through the large gaps in the patio door design...45 degrees heat with no aircon and mozzies is what you expect in a jungle, not in a resort advertised as luxury

Towels - we were often left without any - a ploy to come knocking at the door during our afternoon relaxation?

My son didnt enjoy the childcare - he is not into singing songs and playing dress up - expect girls would prefer this sort of thing. So he stayed with us and we all were happier - thank goodness for the iPad! To get wi-fi you had to sweat in out the heat.

The pluses - great food, helpful and polite catering and bar staff. Food is important so this was our highlight.

If you are going - brace yourself for lower standards than advertised.

In short - not worth the money!!! Go elsewhere. (unless somebody else is footing the bill for you)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I had the most amazing week in Marrakech this summer...thanks to the Club Med la Palmerai..
I will be back!
The food was great a lot of variety...i couldn't ask more.
Parties, shows, alive music not a minute to get bored.the entertainment people specially Karim were always very polite and trying to make you feel great.
I didn't want it to end...great experience..and I will always say only good things about this place
The only improvement should be......the coffee....but my advice take the coffee at the bar .
Don 't miss this place ...wowwwww

Room Tip: All rooms are great
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

I will pre-empt this review by stating that I normally do not indulge in all-inclusives, so if some of my points seem unfair for is type of holiday, I apologise.

Fundamentally the resort, facilities and staff were ok, but the stay was hugely let down by the lack of English. My GF and I pretty much disclosed from most activities because we did not speak French. And god forbid I try - I got bored of the scrunched up 'huh!' From bar staff as I asked for two mojitos please (this might be the French English cultural divide of 'if you can't get it right, don't bother trying').

The arrival started at a 4trident level for us. We were greeted and given cold flannels, drinks and the view from reception was georgeous. Sadly, down to 3.5tri ad the receptionist didn't speak English and just walked off. Another staff member came over and gave us an intro. Our bags were taken to our room (back up to 4tri). We spent the afternoon taking in the facilities and then having lunch. So far so good.

But sadly the week was no as good. Evening entertainment was in French, with no effort to identify us as what looked like the only English speakers. Most loungers were taken by 8am, and as much as I hate it, we had to take a similar tact of dropping our towels on our spots before breakfast.

The GOs that spoke English where very nice, the bar staff didn't care and were slow - except for pretty French ladies who got served by 2-3 staff at once. Again, this may be a cultural thing, but for the 1st three days I was ignored at the bar whilst 4-5 people where served before me - I know, I am British and I like to Q... :)

Lunch and dinners got progressively worse. If you couldn't find a seat, staff plonked you on someone else's table only to have that seat taken as you get food. Once we mastered the art of leaving belongings on our seats, the food was only just warm by the time you sat down. But saying that, I found the variety and quality very nice.

The two 'cirque du soleil' type shows the GOs put on where amazing for amateur performers - highly recommended.

Sadly more criticism as things did feel a little run down. Even as I am typing this in the main bar, a guest has just tripped over a floor board that has come out! Out air con in the room didn't really work and I asked for an Iron which never arrived.

In hindsight had I known when booked what I know now, I would have looked at a different resort - still club med but maybe asked if there was one that was genuinely more multi-lingual.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Strasbourg, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

one week of holidays with no time to chill out:
a lot of sport with fantastic go's : Geneviève for the tennis, Omeyr for the golf, montain bike, jogging early in the morning, lovely swimming pool,...
what about the bar ? : so cool with all the team coming from Senegal. a lot of parties and very good cocktails
the girls from the receptions are so beautifull and the buffet in the restaurant so tasty.
I will be back

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Derry, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

This is the third time I have visited the Palmeraie for summer holidays. Unfortunately it is likely the last time I will return.

As with other reviewers I noticed a marked decrease in variety of the food on offer - in the past I was spoiled for choice, this year I struggled to make a selection. Everything was clean and spotless, but a lack of cohesion of menus and dishes left the idea they were penny pinching and hoping no one would notice.

The local staff who work in the kitchens, restaurants and housekeeping were very amenable and friendly as always. The same could not be said for most of the mainstream GO's who wore painted smiles, spoke only when required and reflected the least amount of effort and enjoyment in the routines, crazy signs etc. The worst year ever for GO morale - an unusual brand of exuberance that usually drives me crazy, but was missed when absent.

Whilst the village itself has definitely benefitted from some improvements in hygiene and quality around the general public areas, there were aspects of the wider environment that appeared less well organised. Most notably - Availability of sunbeds was a MAJOR issue this year, something which had never caused concern previously. Not only were the beds reserved with towels by 8am but there was also an ethos where people would occupy your bed and dump your belongings if you went to lunch!!

The new Chef de Village appears to have had a major impact on the place - all of it negative. His attitude is being filtered through to the GO's who were less enthusiastic and much less willing to interact with people unless required, most particularly with visitors who spoke any language other than French.

Under the previous Chef, who was I believe Italian, there was a multi-lingual approach even though the major part of everything written and spoken was French. For those two years I muddled through very happily using bad French, bad Arabic and mimed English. It got the job done.

This year however the ethos was very much changed, with a permanent focus on French with English offered as an appeasement when someone DARED to require it. And then it felt like you were being punished for being so needy and un-French.

Chef Stefan one evening began an introduction then called out "Does anyone need this in English?" in the brief pause offered no-one was brave enough to shout out YES, so he proceeded En Francais... fair enough... but what he then said in French amounted to "Oh Thank Goodness, we can get on with this "... Much to the amusement of the French visitors who joined in his laughter.... Not the all-inclusive approach we are looking for really.

I met a Dutch family who were experiencing language issues for themselves and their children. On requesting golf lessons the father was told to save his money because there was no GO for golf who had enough English to teach the course effectively. Just one of the many many examples where non-French guests were made to feel awquard and unwelcome.

But the fall in security and safety on site causes me most concern, closely followed by the attitude of Chef and his staff about such incidents. In all my visits to Palmeraie I have never had a moment of worry about the safety of my family or my belongings.
This illusion is now totally shattered.

On day 3 of an 18 day holiday my £200 camera was lifted from my hand bag at the bar. Attending my childs show the parents were asked to come up on 'stage' with their kids.. when I return I find that the furniture is being moved around, my bag has been moved, and later when I find it has been handed in at reception the bag is empty.

What follows is a lengthy 3 days of visits to reception, repeated filling in of forms, repeated assurances that a police report will follow... I find myself wasting more and more of my holidays on this matter and losing patience with the staff in general.

Eventually I discover that the police have NOT been informed AT ALL and my personal insurance is not valid because 24 hours has passed since the crime. BUT I am then assured that ClubMed will make good on recompense when I return home and notify them of my claim. (now I am back and have discovered that their insurance company believes they bear no responsibility and nothing further will be done.)

Whilst I was there I spoke to the Chef about the theft of my camera and the apparent lack of security at the Palmeraie. He had an unusual take on it. He informed me that they would usually have 3-4 unfortunate events of theft or such in any given week at the village, which he though I should agree was not a lot (?) and that the village was at full capacity for that week so there was a lot of people, maybe 900+, so 3-4 thefts out of 900 people was statistically not such a big thing (!) and add to that, they currently had a very high percentage of teenagers, and they were always making trouble, so that would further increase the chance of loss and/or problems at the village........

OH?? well statistically that's OK Then! I will just put the loss of my £200 camera down to a bit of bad luck and teenagers !?!?, and all my lost holiday snaps, AND all the pictures I cant take for the rest of my trip, and all the days I have wasted trying to sort it out!! ....
.......Or Maybe I just got the wrong end of the stick because I cant speak good French!?

Don't get me wrong. We made the most of the trip. I would still tell people we had a great time. We went there for the sun - which is almost guaranteed in Marrakech. We ate, we slept, we swam, which is all we wanted to do... But I will say that at the end of the last two visits we were eager to book for the return trip. This time I will be looking elsewhere, probably in Marrakech, but nowhere near Chef Stefan. And based on the treatment and handling of the unfortunate stealing I will be looking to avoid ClubMed who, it seems, is not the premier company it once was.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Bogota, Colombia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

We spent a fantastic and unforgettable week at this place in Marrakech. This resort is just amazing and so beautiful with so many activities to chose from. The atmosphere is incredible eventhough it was RAMADAN all of the go's were super active, always smiling, so energetic and amazing. Everyone here is so friendly and welcoming...

The food is great, I highly recommend trying the couscous at 'el kebir'! The coffee was not too good but that is basically the only negative comment I've got about this place.

Overall, we had an amazing time and would LOVE to return there in the future.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Stayed here for a week in June with husband and 2 young daughters. Overall we had an enjoyable holiday, the weather was great, the pools are lovely and the resort is lovely.
However, the resort is old and tired and badly in need of a refurb. We had adjoining rooms and both bathrooms had large damp patches and the smell of damp greeted us every time we opened the door. The cushions in the bar area were really tatty, and floor tiles in the bedrooms and communal areas were cracked. My second issue is how almost everything is conducted in French, I know it's a club med but other ones conduct everything in English and French. We missed an important instruction about our bags as it was listed in French only. My children attended the petit and the mini club but due to everything being conducted in French neither were very happy there. The food was okay, I stayed in club med in Turkey last year where the food was much better. I loved morocco and would have returned to this resort had the experience been better. Also the beds are awful, poor mattresses, hard and uncomfortable, definitely need an upgrade!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Club Med Marrakech La Palmeraie? Share your experiences!