“throw away the guidebooks Cyrus is here” 5 of 5 stars

Riad Meriem
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   97 Derb El Cadi, Azbest | Medina, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #148 of 481 Hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“throw away the guidebooks Cyrus is here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

What can we say, having read, and clued up to what I believed we needed from our three days in Marrakech, five minutes with Cyrus the Manager here told me otherwise. Throw away the guidebooks and be prepared to lose yourself and have fun doing so. From best eats, Cyrus advised on incredible restaurants, Tobsil and Le Fondouk, to shopping if you can't face the soukhs, Cyrus and Hassan helped us enormously. Riad Meriem is an oasis of calm in the frenetic crazed pace of the Medina and if you want to just chill and sunbathe the Meriem is perfect for that too.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

My husband and I recently returned from staying here. The staff couldn't be more welcoming, helping us with our days and restaurants (all great recommendations)
The Riad itself is beautiful and I look forward to my next trip

• Stayed February 2014
Bermuda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

This was my 5th visit to Marrakech and without a doubt the best place I have stayed at to date. Riad Meriem is a living fairytale, beautifully furnished and well maintained throughout. The staff went out of their way every day to make sure I was well looked after and made my stay a real pleasure from start to finish. Cyrus, the manager is a larger than life character educated in the UK and full of information and tips. The Riad is so well hidden that I took photos of the route from the main street to help me recognise my way home! I chose to have dinner in the riad every evening as the food was freshly prepared and extremely good value. The central location in the Medina meant that the whole city was only minutes away by foot. I will certainly be returning in the near future.

Room Tip: All the rooms have an individual style and character.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Loughborough
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

My friend and I stayed here for four nights and could not have received any better service! Nothing was too much for the staff and the riad itself is absolutely gorgeous!

We had breakfast brought to us on the terrace every morning and had a lovely traditional meal on our last night.

We stayed in the Aubergine room which is one of the smaller rooms but still very impressive. The room was cleaned every day and as we had a late night return flight we were able to keep our room free of charge on the day of departure.

Cyrus provided us with invaluable tips, hints and itineraries every morning which really helped us make the most of the stay.

The riad itself is beautiful and good value for money but for me it is the fantastic staff and service they provide that sets it apart. I would highly recommend a stay here!

• Stayed September 2013
Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

When I remembered it was our 10th anniversary imminently I started to suggest places my gorgeous wife would like and she came up with Marrakech. I bought Alastair Sawday’s book and whilst I shortlisted about 10 she picked this as the first one the book fell op0en on. After a couple of other guide boos featured it too and Trip Advisor spoke highly of it, we settled on it and I lost out on my argument for the star room for the red room. So, you arrive to heat, follow a man with a car through ha maze of street that aren’t the most beautiful and land in heaven. Wonderful place. We set out for a little explore but returned to eat in the riad that night and it was excellent. Perfect place and taste. We snuck a peek at some of the other rooms and decided I was right with the star room but actually both were brilliant and even the room we were given for a shower late on the day of departure was beautiful – my wife deciding we’d actually ask for that when we come back (and we will and we’ll stay here).
So, what makes it special?
Firstly it has to be the location. A short walk from the place / main square means every time you go out you have to explore the souks.
On a par – the excellent advice from Cyrus. None of it bad or worrying, heed his guidance on places to go / see / eat.
Do the spa they recommend (Les Bains de Marrakech), but be sure to head to the Kosybar afterwards. Have a lazy lunch at an upmarket hotel (Jardins de la Koutoubia) to contrast the frenetic mayhem outside / nearby. Get lost in the souks and enjoy getting lost then finding yourself.
Go to spice square – we had a great coffee on the roof terrace opposite the recommended Café de Epices – which was great and the lunches other people had looked scrumptious.
Equally good – the service and friendliness of the riad – I will be recommending it to my parents and we will be coming back; when we do it will be here (Riad Meriem) again.
How long to stay? We did 4 days and if it was any longer I’d probably consider exploring beyond the medina – if a week then take a trip to the Atlas mountains, but 4 days is ideal for city walking and people / spectacle watching. Forget fashion and have some good and comfortable trainers for the day if walking / exploring.

Room Tip: We had the red room but looked in some others; you can't go wrong. A fantastic riad.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Great Torrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We stayed here for a short break and loved it. The Riad is very calming and provides a great bolt hole from the hustle and bustle in Marrakech. All the rooms are nicely decorated and comfortable. The staff are very helpful and friendly. We pre ordered a lunch to have on arrival and ate on the roof terrace. It was wonderful with delicious fresh produce and was the perfect way to start our break

Room Tip: I think the rooms are pretty similar and we spent most of our time in the town or on the roof terrac...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

My new husband and I stayed here as a surprise honeymoon and had such a beautiful and relaxing experience! The staff could not have been helpful booking and arranging trasport for us to the best restaurants! The rooms are stunning and clean! Breakfast in the morning and wine in the evening on the roof terrace was delightful! I wouod recomend to anyone and would love to go back as the staff could not do enough to look after you

• Stayed April 2013