“Outstanding hospitality” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #689 of 1,120 Marrakech B&B and Inns
london
“Outstanding hospitality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2010

I stayed at Riad Maji during the Arts in Marrakech Festival. The Riad is part of the fringe festival. Its event is always one of the most popular - and just about the only one which extends its (free) hospitality to ordinary Moroccans and genuinely reflects the local culture.
I have stayed there several times and it's a real home-from-home as the staff are great and Maggie is most welcoming and helpful. I think your reviewer who was put off by paying by cheque etc. missed out on a wonderful holiday experience with her nit-picking attitude but I can't help feeling rather glad about that , as all the people I have met at the Riad have had the easy and relaxed attitude you need to get the best out of Morocco. Your reviewer comes across as too uptight to really enjoy the place. A lucky escape there Maggie is all I can say.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2010

On February 2nd (two months before our intended stay) I called Magi Perry to make a booking for two double rooms for two nights at Riad Magi. She quoted me a price of £75 per room per night, which I agreed to happily. She then said to confirm the booking I would need to post her a cheuqe for £100 (who writes cheques these days anyway!) and then would need to pay the remaining £200 before I left the UK and had even landed in Marakesh!! I told her I thought paying the full amount for a hotel before you had even been to the country was very strange and she insisted that everyone does it. I explained I had stayed all over the world and had always paid on check-out and she replied "this is no backpacking place". She proceeded to be terribly rude.
I almost told her that we were no backpackers and our last hotel had been five star. But I didn't bother. I cancelled my booking right away.

Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

In the knowledge that we had organised a complicated surf tour ahead of us, we wanted to find somewhere we could relax with trustworthy hosts at a reasonable price.

We were picked up from the airport and had already had a great transfer rate negotiated for us by the Riad team. We then arrived and were given a lovely breakfast after a gruelling early start from Luton.

We were immediately given bottled water and offered any help or advice we required.

The acommodation itself was lovely, Tadelakt plaster in beautiful colours and a lovely communal roof terrace and courtyard was always lovely to come back to after the hustle and bustle of Marrakesh.

The Riad team organised our taxi to the coast for 6 at an incredibly good rate and sorted our return.

We had dinner in the Riad before flying out the next day and it was our best meal in Morocco.

Definately would recommend.

Sam

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
happedazze
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2008

Wonderful location. Stayed here with 4 other medical mission volunteers following our mission in Er-rachida. I liked it so much I went back a week later for two days when my bf came to travel with me. The staff is wonderful, the owner Magi is very accomodating and gracious. Loved having breakfast on the roof, it's very cozy and romantic.

highly recommend staying here..

• Liked — atmosphere and staff
  • Disliked — narrow stairwell
  • Stayed October 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Canterbury
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2008

My husband and I stayed here during our honeymoon. We stayed for 2 nights at the start, and 4 nights at the end. The service here is way above expectation, the staff who work here are helpful, friendly, professional. But they also seem to enjoy working here, which adds to the lovely atmosphere.

Morocco threw everything it could at us, storms in the Sahara, villages washed away in front of our eyes, illness, and a dishonest driver - but on returning to riad Magi we were able to recover in style.

Maggie, who owns the Riad, helped us arrange several excursions, and we took advantage of khadija (one fo the staff) excellent culinary skills with an afternoon of learning to cook some moroccan dishes.

I would definitely recommend Riad Magi,

• Liked — friendly, intimate atmosphere
  • Disliked — the pillows, they need new ones in the little room (i had to think of something)
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2008

Probably a little over-priced, but the service was excellent, and apart from the mosque in the morning, very quiet whilst at the same time being very central. The small number of rooms makes it feel more like you are staying in someone's house than a hotel.

• Liked — Service, clean, comfortable, central
  • Disliked — A little over-priced
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2008

After staying in Ryad Mabrouka in Fes it was quite disappointing to stay in Riad Magi in Marrakech. It is a quiet riad but definitely not a heaven.
We have stayed three nights in the ground floor room which was ok.

The room rate was 1040 dirhams per night, instead of 65 pounds' equivalent of 945 dirhams. On top of that there is a 10 percent VAT charge that comes with the bill and is not mentioned anywhere. For the total price that comes, I think it is possible to stay in a much better riad in Marrakech.

An overall problem I had in Morocco was the breakfasts being too sweet and it was the same in Riad Magi. If you don't like sweets and eggs, then you cannot have breakfast in this riad. No cheese, no unsweetened yoghurt, no olives, and nothing 'fresh'.

Stayed July 2008

Been to Origin Hotels Riad Magi? Share your experiences!