“A haven in the Medina with plunge pool and caring service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad 72

You added Riad 72 to your Saves list
Riad 72
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   72 Arset Awzel, Bab Doukkala | Medina, Marrakech 4000, Morocco   |
Ranked #31 of 469 Hotels in Marrakech
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Colmar, France
“A haven in the Medina with plunge pool and caring service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

Perfectly situated just inside the Medina, on the same side as Place Jma el Fna. Very easy to walk to taxi stand. 2 minutes drive to The Place. They organise airport transfers. Rhislaine welcomed us into this hidden haven, and in her gentle way made sure we were comfortable at all times. We enjoyed a lovely traditional meal, cooked by Habiba, on the roof terrace...3 stories up for each course, thank you, Rhislaine! For info, prices are European, at Eur60 for our 3 course meal for two. But how much better than going to a restaurant. Great terrace overlooking Marrakech rooftops, with a plunge pool in which we spent Sundown hour with the champagne we took along with us. Comfy Teak loungers. Our 'luxury' room with split level was pretty, but if I returned to Riad 72 (which I would, happily), I would opt for the standard room or the suite on one level. Hmmm, bed was very hard, with just one pillow. Ask for a second one! Lovely, quality fittings in the big bathroom. Gorgeous public area, banana palms, cooling fountain, birds fluttering around. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: See my review before choosing your room!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

enjoyed:
- staff really made the stay
- rooftop bathing pool a pleasant relief
- great reservations the concierge made for us at Cafe Arabe - best seat in the house
- Fatima the chef - lovely motherly type and good cook
- greenery through the riad - large banana trees in the central court
- lovely design and style throughout rooms

bear in mind:
- decent walk in alley ways if you are concerned for safety at night (though we had no problems)

Overall recommended for great rooftop views, calm environment inside and staff who would do anything to please. Thank you for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: the main suite is worth the extra outlay - we felt like royalty!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Doha
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

Very beautiful, calm and tranquil space, wonderful staff- 0 Emanuela, azziz, Rashid, Jilal (please forgive me if my spekllings are wrong!)Thank you all!
Best Hammam in Morroco- tried many and loved this one- the wonderful lady Aisha provides the best Hammam ever- she works magic! I highly recommend all you ladies meet Aisha and try one of her Hammam sessions- she is absolutely wonderful.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

We spent 5 nights at Riad 72 and I must say that Marrakech would not have been the positive experience it had been without the warm and amazing staff of the Riad. Everything about the hotel, the design and the staff is perfect. The hotel director Emanuella is a pleasure to deal with and made everything in her power to make our stay stress free and fun,Rachid is so respectful, pleasant and kind and so is Aziz and the rest of the staff. In terms of food, well where do we start? After eating in several places in Marrakech, we can only confirm previous reviews where food is exquisite all due to the wonderful cook Fatouma who is not only adorable but has a quality of a 5 star international chef. An amalgamation of each individual, the perfect and serene decor made our stay one of the most memorable holiday. A sincere and endless thank you to all of you at Riad 72. Stephi and Nina

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

The staff were extremely helpful and nothing was too much trouble. We ate at the Riad on our first night which was delicious and huge portions. We stayed in Amal room which was a great size and the bath was amazing. The only slight problem was that it was 45 degrees and the air con wasn't very powerful - we managed ok with the use of a cold bath and had no trouble sleeping at night. Unfortunately it was too windy to use the roof terrace for meals but the courtyard was beautiful. The breakfasts were lovely and they catered for whatever we fancied. My boyfriend also proposed to me on our last morning there over breakfast so that confirms how lovely and romantic the place is!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

I recently stayed in the Riad 72. I'd read some previous reviews and they were very positive. So I was hopeful, but that's the thing about a review, each individual will always have a different experience. I wondered whether mine would be as good. I need not have worried. From the friendly driver who picked us up from the airport, to the lovely Asiz who met us to wheel our luggage and escort us through the streets to the Riad, right through the stay and at every juncture; we were met with smiles and interest, wonderful service, helpful and willing staff, and all of our needs were accommodated.
On arrival we took a seat in the courtyard. Open roofed and with fully grown banana trees, it was peaceful and beautiful. A stream of running water leading to small fountain added to the relaxing atmosphere. We were bought mint tea and freshly baked biscuits, and, as our room wasn't quite ready, we asked if we could take to the roof terrace to sit out in the sun, and this was not a problem. The plunge pool was being freshly filled with cold water and there is a cold water shower up there too, along with a shaded gazebo with comfy low sofas and tables in case you fancy lunch and the view.
The room had been prepared for a couple, and when we advised the staff we were friends only, it was no trouble at all, the rooms were re arranged immediately to accommodate two separate beds, on two levels.The bathroom was beautiful, and even had a door which led out onto the staircase to take you up to the terrace. There were many original details throughout the Riad, with the double height doors and other wooden fret work fabulously maintained. We had a hammam there, which delivered me back to room as soft and clean as a new born baby. And was given by Aicha, a truly lovely lady. The food we had throughout our stay was delicious!! Breakfast was varied, freshly cooked and baked and different every day. Plus, it always included as much freshly squeezed orange juice as you wanted. I'm a vegetarian which is not usual in Morrocco, and yet Fatima, the chef, happily made us individually spiced and creative dishes that were divine.
We were assisted in anything we chose to ask for help with. Including booking restaurants, being picked up on one occasion after the meal, and escorted back through the medina as it was quite late. We were given advice on where to go in the Medina for different things, Jalil even accompanied us on one occasion, translating and assisting in shopping. So much kindness and hospitality were extended to us with such warmth and sincerity, that we were just blown away. A truly wonderful place to stay, a real safe haven from the hustle and bustle and chaos just a few steps from the front door. I will definitely return. No question. A blissful stay in a fantastic place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

I have just come back from 3 nights in Marrakech with my friend. We were picked up at the airport and driven back to the Riad. I was looking out of the window and crossing my fingers that my hotel was going to be lovely. There was so much poverty around me and everything was so different. I really wanted a peaceful surrounding for my short holiday. Well, I need not have worried! We were greeted so warmly. We were offered mint tea and biscuits while our rooms were sorted out. We went up to our room and it had everything you could hope for. It was so clean and very traditional. The courtyard was peaceful and it was lovely to sit there and have a drink and watch birds fly in and out. We ate in for the first night and Fatoumah cooked for us. We are vegetarian so I know it was unusual for her but she cooked us a delicious feast! The breakfasts she made were out of this world. I always waddled away from the table very satisfied. Then Aicha took me under her wing and gave me my first ever hammam. Wow! It was such an amazing experience. I was scrubbed and cleaned and then a wonderful mud mask. I have NEVER been so clean and soft. It was incredible. The service was like nothing I have ever had before. Nothing was too much trouble. I was able to eat when I wanted, where I wanted, they just wanted us to have a nice holiday. Jalal (I am not sure of the spelling) who was one of the waiters there helped us very much. He helped us with all the shopping, where to go, what spices to buy and translated everything for us. We were taken to restaurants and picked up afterwards in case we got lost. This is such a lovely place to stay and the staff are very, very nice. I really recommend this place to stay for tranquility and very helpful staff. What a wonderful place!

Room Tip: The rooms just vary in size. There is no good or bad location.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Riad 72? Share your experiences!