“A warm welcome with friendly, courteous and helpful staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad 72

Save Saved
You added Riad 72 to your Saves list
Riad 72
5.0 of 5 Guest house   |   72 Arset Awzel, Bab Doukkala | Medina, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #138 of 1,041 Marrakech B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“A warm welcome with friendly, courteous and helpful staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

I recently stayed in the Riad 72. I'd read some previous reviews and they were very positive. So I was hopeful, but that's the thing about a review, each individual will always have a different experience. I wondered whether mine would be as good. I need not have worried. From the friendly driver who picked us up from the airport, to the lovely Asiz who met us to wheel our luggage and escort us through the streets to the Riad, right through the stay and at every juncture; we were met with smiles and interest, wonderful service, helpful and willing staff, and all of our needs were accommodated.
On arrival we took a seat in the courtyard. Open roofed and with fully grown banana trees, it was peaceful and beautiful. A stream of running water leading to small fountain added to the relaxing atmosphere. We were bought mint tea and freshly baked biscuits, and, as our room wasn't quite ready, we asked if we could take to the roof terrace to sit out in the sun, and this was not a problem. The plunge pool was being freshly filled with cold water and there is a cold water shower up there too, along with a shaded gazebo with comfy low sofas and tables in case you fancy lunch and the view.
The room had been prepared for a couple, and when we advised the staff we were friends only, it was no trouble at all, the rooms were re arranged immediately to accommodate two separate beds, on two levels.The bathroom was beautiful, and even had a door which led out onto the staircase to take you up to the terrace. There were many original details throughout the Riad, with the double height doors and other wooden fret work fabulously maintained. We had a hammam there, which delivered me back to room as soft and clean as a new born baby. And was given by Aicha, a truly lovely lady. The food we had throughout our stay was delicious!! Breakfast was varied, freshly cooked and baked and different every day. Plus, it always included as much freshly squeezed orange juice as you wanted. I'm a vegetarian which is not usual in Morrocco, and yet Fatima, the chef, happily made us individually spiced and creative dishes that were divine.
We were assisted in anything we chose to ask for help with. Including booking restaurants, being picked up on one occasion after the meal, and escorted back through the medina as it was quite late. We were given advice on where to go in the Medina for different things, Jalil even accompanied us on one occasion, translating and assisting in shopping. So much kindness and hospitality were extended to us with such warmth and sincerity, that we were just blown away. A truly wonderful place to stay, a real safe haven from the hustle and bustle and chaos just a few steps from the front door. I will definitely return. No question. A blissful stay in a fantastic place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

179 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

I have just come back from 3 nights in Marrakech with my friend. We were picked up at the airport and driven back to the Riad. I was looking out of the window and crossing my fingers that my hotel was going to be lovely. There was so much poverty around me and everything was so different. I really wanted a peaceful surrounding for my short holiday. Well, I need not have worried! We were greeted so warmly. We were offered mint tea and biscuits while our rooms were sorted out. We went up to our room and it had everything you could hope for. It was so clean and very traditional. The courtyard was peaceful and it was lovely to sit there and have a drink and watch birds fly in and out. We ate in for the first night and Fatoumah cooked for us. We are vegetarian so I know it was unusual for her but she cooked us a delicious feast! The breakfasts she made were out of this world. I always waddled away from the table very satisfied. Then Aicha took me under her wing and gave me my first ever hammam. Wow! It was such an amazing experience. I was scrubbed and cleaned and then a wonderful mud mask. I have NEVER been so clean and soft. It was incredible. The service was like nothing I have ever had before. Nothing was too much trouble. I was able to eat when I wanted, where I wanted, they just wanted us to have a nice holiday. Jalal (I am not sure of the spelling) who was one of the waiters there helped us very much. He helped us with all the shopping, where to go, what spices to buy and translated everything for us. We were taken to restaurants and picked up afterwards in case we got lost. This is such a lovely place to stay and the staff are very, very nice. I really recommend this place to stay for tranquility and very helpful staff. What a wonderful place!

Room Tip: The rooms just vary in size. There is no good or bad location.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

The staff at Riad 72 is incomparable. The best service I've ever received while traveling. The riad is stunning, no detail went untouched. It's a gorgeous bed and breakfast, a very special place. And to boot the food is amazing! The most delicious tagine we had in all of Morocco. Even the breakfasts are fresh and delicious. No need to doubt your decision, you will definitely be pleased.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

We stayed at Riad 72 for four nights. Winding through the alleys, our luggage was taken by cart up to the riad. The door opened and we entered into a cool and charming courtyard and greeted with cake and drinks. Our room was large and spacious with a huge bathroom. The food served in the hotel - we ate there on two nights - was fantastic. Anything we asked for was supplied. Thoroughly recommend this Riad. Friendly, charming and great service. Lovely roof terrace.

Room Tip: We had the suite - did not see other rooms. Try to have breakfast on the roof terrace. there is no...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

We stayed there for a week and had the most amazing time. The location is great and the building itself is stunning.

We were met at the airport and driven as close as possible, we were then met by a member of staff and walked to the riad. They had prepared breakfast for us in the courtyard and from the word go we were treated so so well. The most relaxing atmosphere.

All the staff were brilliant and nothing is too much trouble. Rashid in particular made our stay extra special. Briliant guy.

We ate out a lot and one night had Fatouma's cooking at the riad. We ate on the roof as the sun was setting. I can honestly say that it was the best food we had over the course of the week and so we ate there again on our last evening. Some of the best food I've ever tasted in fact.

I can't recommend it strongly enough. If you are going to Marrakech stay here.

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely. The suite is massive so if you have a little extra I'd book it.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

We stayed at Riad 72 for a relaxing weekend break. The Riad included one transfer to or from the airport and we were met at the airport by a driver who took us into Marrakech and dropped us with a porter from the hotel who showed us the way to the Riad. The Riad is not hard to find - once you know where it is, but you'd struggle to find it yourself first time so I would recommend taking up the option from the Riad of being met from the airport.

The Riad itself is beautiful. The central courtyard has large trees growing within it with colourful small birds that tweet from within their branches and return at night to roost there and water quietly flowing within the courtyard, it really is a beautiful quiet oasis.

One of the main reasons we choose this Riad was that it had a wonderful rooftop terraced seating area and the Riad is one of the tallest in Marrahech. We spent a lovely time on the rooftop terrace relaxing and reading with views over the city and of the Atlas Mountains in the distance.

The staff at Riad 72 are simply wonderful, they were attentive and knowledgable but left you alone to relax and enjoy your stay. An example of the service at the Riad is that whilst we were on the terrace relaxing they brought up to us tea and biscuits without making a request for them.

We had read the reviews of the in-house cook: Fatouma and we were looking forward to her food having arranged for her to cook for us one evening. We had eaten out the night before and Fatouma's cooking was at least on par to anything we had eaten out. Her starter was stunning but the rest of the meal was good but not up to that standard, I would recommend having Fatouma cook for you one evening.

The Riad is approximately 15mins walk to the main square and the Riad's location means you are close enough to anything in the Medina.

I loved staying here - it was wonderful. The room was comfortable and the bathroom was large and accomodating. There are only four rooms in the Riad so for you can easily feel that you are the only one staying there and the attentive staff make you feel very welcome indeed and can't do enough for you to make your stay as relaxed and perfect as possible.

Stay here - you won't regret it.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

I just wanted to say we have a very pleasant stay here. It was calm, lovely views and very good food. The staff were briliant with my husband who has an upset stomach. They made him special tea and prepared a light soup. I would recommend this place, it is also the right side of town and much better than the north of the main square. Thanks a million.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Riad 72? Share your experiences!