“It was fine and in a good location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Dar Mimouna Hotel

You added Riad Dar Mimouna Hotel to your Saves list
Riad Dar Mimouna Hotel
3.5 of 5 Guest house   |   Sidi Mimoun Derb Sidi M'Barek, No 151, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #545 of 1,135 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“It was fine and in a good location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

This riad has some beautiful decor. The bathroom didn't smell of anything. It had a big shower head which was nice and the water was always very hot which was pleasing. Our room had a traditional Moroccon touch to it. It seemed quite basic but we quite liked it. It also had an air-con system which blew out warm heat which was useful as the nights get cold. The staff are friendly when you see them...that was the only problem really. There never seemed to be anyone at the desk but we soon realised that they were always upstairs on the terrace. To get their attention you have to open the front door and press the door bell. When they were there they were polite, friendly and they all spoke good english. Breakfast is served on the terrace so if you visit in their winter, do wear your coat for breakfast as it can be nippy but it soon warms up. Breakfast itself isn't great. It's very close to the jemaa square but you do have to go through a alley to get to the riad which can seem scary at night but we found it to be quite safe. Taxi's can't go down there. But it's no big deal. It's only 5 mins and easy. The riad called taxi's for us when we wanted to go further out. I recommend you do this as the drivers I known to the riad and prices are reasonable. The taxi drivers come to the riad and knock on the door.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Stafford, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I read the reviews and thought I would still enjoy this hotel...based on the reviews of it being so "breathtaking" and "beautiful". I literally had to remember that I've lived in worse conditions when I was deployed. With that being said, the decor of the "inside" of the hotel is pretty. HOWEVER, there was no reassuring way for me to feel that my belongings were secure when I left. The only thing that locked my door when I was gone was an extremely small pad lock. When I was there, I had to slide the bar across the door. Anyone could have locked me in the room by putting a pad lock on the outside...talk about a fire hazard. The bed had strands of long black hair as if someone had slept there and made up the bed. The bathroom always smelled like feces...needless to say, I will not stay at this hotel again. If my trip was any longer than what I planned I probably would not have stayed after the first night. As for the "full breakfast" that was included in the price, it should have read "traditional Moroccan breakfast consisting of a few small flat bread and a couple of pieces of cake...and only one serving of it". Somehow I was able to get an omlette when I arrived at night, but they REFUSED to make me one for breakfast. Not to mention the guy told us that we could not have our breakfast in the areas with tables as you walk in, and that we had to come up to the roof terrace to eat it. Well it was raining but he still made us eat up there in a covered area in the far corner of the roof...after you walk in the rain. It is very close to the market square but that is the only convenience of this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't choose this hotel...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

This is an exquisite Riad! So beautiful it took my breathbaway every day. It's very well maintained and the staff is very helpfull, friendly and nice. Breakfast is served on the lovely roof terrace.
It's located in a small, medieval looking alley.
I forgot a valuable ring and received a phone call on the day I arrived home to inform me about this, together withbthe offer to send it to me....
The Riad is also very clean and the rooms are made every day.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I enjoyed staying in this exquisitely renovated riad. My room was beautiful. The inner courtyard even better than the photos you see. The staff was very nice, particularly the gentleman who works only 2 nights a week. All spoke English which was a relief to my non-French speaking travel partner.

One issue during my stay which I did not pursue asking about but should have. There was some problem with the plumbing (yes it is a 150 year old structure) which led to a sewer smell that was pretty strong from time to time throughout the day. I like chilling in my room when I'm on a holiday, and this smell made the experience less than pleasurable.

The location is fun. You are outside the touristed area and in a more residential neighborhood which gives a nice, different feel of the city.

Go here. But email first to see if they have cleared up the plumbing issue.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

A great choice for a base in Marrakech. The walk through the small streets to get here might put some off, but its location makes it ideal for those who are looking for a quiet spot close to everything. The riad and its rooms are small but charming and the staff couldn't have been nicer. We just returned from a week's stay an are plotting our return.

Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

We had a taxi arranged to pick from the airport which I'd say is a must as it is pretty hard to find. Taxi cannot get to the front of the riad but we found that no problem. Once inside you'll find all you've ever wanted from a traditional riad. Very ornate and wasn't disappointing. We stayed in the 'Marrakech' room which after having snoop at all the other rooms I believed to be the best decorated. The staff were very good and weren't too pushy which was a welcome relief after being in the souks all day. The location was only ten minute walk from Djemaa el Fna, however our only quibble was that to get to the square you have to cross three busy roads which can be quite frustrating (if you stayed north of the square you wouldn't have to cross any roads). Overall very pleased with the experience and would happily come again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Maidenhead
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

Got picked up by taxi arranged by Riad staff and was in Siad Mamoun area in 10 minutes.The first impression of the area is run down but soon as you go through the alleyway it's seems totally different place.It is reassuring to see all round security at the nearby Royal Palace hence area seems very safe.Staff at the hotel are friendly, very pleasent and polite who provided assistance in getting to local tourist sites.THe rooms are traditional and practical and provide the morrocon feel to the experience.If you don,t mnd the call to prayer in the mornng from the local mosque then its is the best location and would definetly go back to the hotel as it conveniently placed from the hustle of Jemma Al Fennna. Best wishes to all of the staff!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends