“They're in the Money” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Dar Atta

You added Riad Dar Atta to your Saves list
Riad Dar Atta
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   28 Rue Rmila | Derb Raouia, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #804 of 1,135 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Rochester NY
“They're in the Money”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

I stayed at Dar Atta 11-19 March 2014. It was clean and quiet, if you ignore the roosters on the next door roof who start crowing at 11:30 p.m. They're happy to let you charge your stay on a credit card--for which they add another 5%.
I had Dar Atta sign me up for a 3-day 2-night trip that included a night in the Sahara Desert for 1100 dirhan. The other 8 on the trip who stayed elsewhere in Marrakech paid 800-900 dirhan, i.e., I paid $25 to $37.50 more for the trip.
I double-checked with the staffer who signed me for the trip: My Expedia reservation was Mar 11-17; if I went on the trip the nights of Mar 15-16, could I switch my final 2 nights to the 17-18. Yes, was the answer, but they would put nothing in writing. I returned at 8 p.m. all smiles from the trip and was told I had no reservation by the very guy who reserved the trip for me. After a big hassle (he spoke no English, my French is miserable), he called for the other staffer who does speak English. He could do nothing. So I insisted on talking to the owner, was connected with his wife (who did understand English--if he didn't, I'd have been screwed out of 2 nights), and was told I could stay the 17-18 with no further charge. But the staffers would put nothing in writing. One hour of unpleasantness tarnished all smiles from the trip.
The next night the guy who caused the hassle came to my room and profusely apologized, and I thanked him.
Nonetheless, Dar Atta is in it for the money, and I surmised that the staff is run on fear: they can put nothing in writing, period; only the boss can.
The French breakfast is a very good "petit dejuner", if you go for that--breads, jams, fresh orange juice, and coffee. I always left hungry, but then the French do save it all for "dejuner" (lunch).
The staff otherwise was helpful and kind. But all rooms on all floors have windows only opening to the open inner courtyard. If people are there, you can hear them.The in-room bath's ceiling is open to the rest of the room; it was clean, but the shower spray was meager. Dar Atta was the most expensive place I stayed--Expendia said $44, but it came for $49 per night. I could have done better. Indeed, I did in Casablanca, Fes, and Asilah.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
South Australia, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Great Riad, very close to the main square and the medina. Rooms were large and beds were comfortable. Bathroom also very large, but mixing hot and cold water to the right temperature was difficult (I didn't manage it and I was there for 3 nights). Great atmosphere too.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here, on and off, for three weeks. The staff are very friendly and helpful indeed. The lovely building has been charmingly decorated, the roof terrace is a lovely oasis and breakfast is delicious.

• Stayed March 2013
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

clean and tranquil hidden gem in the middle of Marrakesh where the temp of life drains you out after the first hour! cool rooms, really authentic and originally-decorated!!! great service! the air conditioner in the first room was not working when we first moved in. as soon as we said this we were given another room. really nice breakfast as well!!! cold water and refreshing mint tea are given when you first step in to the riad! great hospitality i must say!!!! the guy that works there was going out of his way to satisfy everyone. after breakfast we would go for a cigarette where the beds are on the roof. the next thing you know is him running after you bringing you clean sunbed covers, ashtrays and cushions! it`s a shame we didn`t know any French and he - English! we`d love to talk to him! he seemed so positive and smiley! :) definitely recommend!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Good location if travelling by car - close to the medina but not in it. Like many dars and riads, not much to look at from the outside but a haven of cool & calm inside with nice rooms around small open courtyard. On my last visit, I thought the staff could smile more; some of the traditional Berber hospitality seem to have been lost here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed for 3 nights in October last year and it was a really lovely place. The location was great for getting into the main square, the room was beautiful and plenty big enough. the service was with a smile and very helpful regarding local knowledge. The breakfast was served on the roof top terrace, and was very tasty. I would highly recommend. Great value.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

We were rather pessimistic about our trip to the Riad dar Atta having found a really cheap deal on KGB Destinations. However we were pleasantly surprised - the Riad was gorgeous inside, nice rooms (although we had issues with our shower constantly being freezing cold so the maintenance man made almost daily trips to our room!), and great breakfast. The best thing though is the location - 5/10 min walk to the main square. Marrakech is so beautiful so I would recommend the city and this Riad to anyone.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple