“An excellent surprise” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #282 of 464 Hotels in Marrakech
UK
“An excellent surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

It was a last-minute booking: as my plane was about to take off from Luton, I suddenly remembered I had nowhere booked to stay in Marrakech. So, I quickly got out my Rough Guide to Morocco and found this place - "Good value for money". There was a website listed so I accessed it from my iPhone, found an email address & sent a quick email saying I would be arriving that evening and needed a room for three nights. They emailed me back quickly with a Yes, also offering to pick me up at the airport. I replied with a quick Yes, just as the plane was lifting off.
To my surprise, the place turned out to be what one's dream of a riad might be, at least as far as interior design goes: very beautiful. They'd given me a double room for the price of a single (I don't know what the single rooms are like), with ensuite shower and loo. There was a rooftop terrace/restaurant, where I could (and did) have breakfast each morning.
The staff turned out to be very helpful, even giving me the number of a Berber guide called Jamal, with whom I made arrangements for my later three days in the High Atlas (and who was very good, too). The only funny thing was: Hicham, who seemed to be the main manager (not the owner) asked me when I left "Please don't forget to give us a good review on TripeAdvisor (sic: his pronunciation). When I explained to him his hilarious mistake, he thought it as funny as I!
PS Sleep quality gets only a score of 3 because the cleaner starts work at 7 or 8 & I am a light sleeper; so much so, in fact, that when the guy on the desk was talking to someone else till 2 am, it kept me awake: however, when I complained to him about this, he stopped it.

Room Tip: If you go in off-season as I did (end of Nov-beginning of Dec), you may well get a double room for t...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

I made a booking online at this hotel and they sent me a confirmation. However one day before I arrive while I was at work they sent me an absurd email telling me that they were full and that I d better go search for another hotel !! They didnt even bother say sorry ! When i called them i ve got "Hicham" on the phone who proved to be very rude and not accomodating at all.
I just wanted to warn that this hotel staff does not do things in a reliable way and this is a pitty because the place does look good on the pics-

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

I spent many an hour agonising on the internet looking at riads near to the Djem al fna square . Based on the number of reviews and positives for this riad I decided finally that this was the place to stay for 3 nights followed by 2 more after the desert trip. There were a a few things that swayed my decision - the organised airport transfer, the private hammam and the central location. Prices aren't as low as some other riads (currently 480 dirhams per night for a double room) but the levels of comfort were more than adequate for the price. The room was cleaned daily with clean towels and shower mat provided. I can't think that any riad in marrakech is away from the noise but that is all part of the charm!
We ate in the restaurant on the first night and took breakfast on one occasion - fair prices and quality but we found better after exploring further afield... The restaurant was located in a rooftop tent and nicely presented.
The staff were very helpful and we had soon booked our desert trip following a quick call by Mohammed to the tour company (Mami tours - look for my review on this soon!) and the riad looked after our bags for the 2 nights we were away. Free wifi isnt advertised but it works in the lobby area and in some rooms.
We decided we had to experience the hammam experience, opting for the hammam berbere and massage package (330 dirhams each) - great fun and the scrub down was quite invogorating, Great value!
The airport transfer worked brilliantly - I was a little concerned when we were dropped in the middle of a street and our bags loaded into a trolley but the little man who took charge of us from that point was so concerned we got to the riad safely and also gave us a quick guided tour of the route via the square. The riad is so well located and convenient to the main sites.
It is not a 5 star hotel and those who have left poor reviews maybe need to get a reality check - this is a typical moroccan accomodation, the rooms are small, they overlook the courtyard on 2 levels and have small windows. I went in November and it was warm in the room with no heating - my daughter went to Marrkaech in July and described is athe hottest place on earth - so be aware that it could be stifling at that time of year. All in all I would not hesitate to return to this riad. If you want more luxury feel free to pay double the price!

Room Tip: ask for one on the 1st floor
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Tallinn, Estonia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

I have travelled two times in Morocco and Jnane Mogador is by far my best hotel experience in this country. Spotlessly clean, great location, beautifully decorated rooms. Many other riads in Morocco might look on photos as beautiful as Jnane Mogador, but in reality they are not always so clean or comfortable.
We stayed three nights at Jnane Mogador in November 2011. We hadn't booked a room there (actually we hadn't even heard about this riad), but in another riad close to Jemaa-el-Fna. Unfortunately the another riad was too cold and humid and not so spotlessly clean. Therefore in our first night in Marrakesh we just passed Jnane Mogador and thought that perhaps this would be a better place to stay. We were told that there is a room available for the next day only for one night. We had to pay in advance and in the coming day we moved to Jnane Mogador.
On the next day I fell terribly ill (food poisoning) and the staff couldn't have been more kind than that. We had to cancel our excursion to Sahara that we had prepaid - and the staff of Jnane Mogador helped us to get our prepayment back. As there were no "normal rooms" available for the coming night (and I was too ill to move to another hotel having weakness and fever) the staff of Jnane Mogador offered us to stay in suite at a reduced price. They were extremely attentive, warm and kind. The suite was very beautiful with Moroccan style bathroom, beautifully decorated walls, lamps and terrace. Unfortunately I was too ill to enjoy everything in that room - was just having fever and sleeping the whole day long. But i still can't find the right words to express my gratitude to Jnane Mogador staff for the help they provided me during my illness.
The people working at reception aren't probably so "standard polite" as you can see in most "normal hotels". But their warmth goes beyond it - they treat you personally and provide you with help when you really need it.
I also loved the nice chamber maids who were really doing their job properly and the waiters at the restaurant. Would definitely love to go back to this hotel.
The only contra might be the relative noisiness. It didn't disturb me, but this hotel (or at least the rooms on the noisier ground floor) is not recommended to people who need to sleep in absolute silence. There are many sources of noise around the riad: a mosque, motorbikes on the street, guests arriving late at night (you might really hear that if your room is on the ground floor as was ours on the first night). But on the upper floors it's more quiete.

Room Tip: The rooms on the upper floors are generally more quiet.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011 via mobile

We stayed here twice, for 4 days at the start of our holiday and for another 2 days when we returned to Marrakech from Essaouira. The Riad is centrally located and easy to find, myself and my boyfriend arrived late in the evening to the main square (which is a daunting experience for the first time)! but within a few minutes we had locate the street and was checked into the Riad. The rooms have an authentic Moroccan feel and are surprisingly quite at night considering the closeness to the jemaa el fna. They have a very pretty roof terrace, with a great view of the city to enjoy your breakfast every morning.

• Stayed October 2011
toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

This hotel was a huge disappointment. The charm of a riad was largely overshadowed by the dingy,stuffy room absent for any amenities with the exception of an inadequate fan. It was a hot, tiny room with a pitiful bathroom. I couldn't believe it when we arrived and found this place to be what it was. I am sure any traveler can do better. Their sister riad is less "charming" but far better value for the dollar and far cleaner, newer and professionally run.

Room Tip: I suppose the rooms on the upper floor are airier. Do not stay on ground level.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

when you arrive in Marrakesh after 3 hours on a plane, feeling like a sardine recently liberated..it is great to find the hotel you booked online is as you'd hoped. Friendly, beautiful and in a prime location, all at a good price! That is the Jnane Mog for you. We enjoyed our stay here very much, the hotel even has it's very own Lurge looking after the door at night! One feels ensconced from it all and yet in the middle of the Medina you are 5 min away from the Gma El Fna, and the sounds and smells waft over from that location reminding you that you are now in a very different place from boring home. We had booked the Jnane Mog for our last night in Morocco but returned 1 night earlier to find they were full..To our amazement and joy they picked up our bags, hurled us over the ample shoulders of Lurge (well oke we walked) and took us to the Riad Bahia Salam, owned by the same people, and what a great place that turned out to be. We paid the same as if we had stayed at the Jnane Mog but got added luxury which was great because we were as tired as sloths with chronic fatique. Next year we will be back to stay at both of these places, thank you all at the Jnane Mogador! Anneke.

Room Tip: since this is a typical morrocan Riad, not all rooms have windows facing out. If you want to get th...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Jnane Mogador? Share your experiences!