“Characterful Riad in the heart of the Medina” 4 of 5 stars

Jnane Mogador
116 Riad Zitoune Kedim | Derb Sidi Bouloukat, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #265 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Edinburgh, Scotland
“Characterful Riad in the heart of the Medina”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

I think this is one of the new breed of Riad's that have sprung up across Marrakech over the past decade as it certainly wasn't there on my first visit to the city back in 1997. It's hard to tell though as the central courtyard has a very traditional feel with some beautiful detailing.

Also on the postive side are the roof terrace, with extensive views across the rooftops of the medina and lots of exotic sounds & smells wafting over from the nearby square. We loved the hamman in the basement too, particularly the range of massage treatments, although I wouldn't say that the hamman itself was the best, nor the cheapest I had in Morocco. The reception staff were generally helpful although perhaps a little laid back at times.

On the down side, we experienced two different rooms at the hotel, both before and after our trek. The first was definately on the small side and wouldn't have been ideal for a longer stay. There was also no air conditioning and whilst the rooms were just about tolerable with electric fans in May, they must be unbearable during the high summer.

We enjoyed the roof top restaurant, particularly being able to take breakfast out there, although we did find that the service could sometimes be a bit on the slow side. The dinner menu was also fairly limited and it might be easy to tire of the choice after a few days.

In conclusion though, we enjoyed our stay and would recommend. The positives far outweighed any negatives. The place is brilliantly located, has a chilled out ambience and represents excellent value for money.

Room Tip: Non of the Courtyard rooms come with air conditioning which may be unpleasant during the summer
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

246 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

Great hotel, would definitely recommend this hotel and would return any day! Fantastic rooftop breakfast, reception area was a beautiful entrance with the mosaic courtyard in the centre of the hotel! I would defiantly recommend you think about going for a traditional hammam bath that is at your convenience right below reception in the hotel! I did this with my family and it was a great experience and not overly priced. Great location right next to the main medina (djemaa el fna) that we ate at every night in the great, busy, excitement of the different food stalls. We also had the reception organize a camel dessert tour which was 2 days 1night at the dessert in a bivouac, if you are thinking of doing that it is around 8hours of mountainous driving (which we wernt expecting) to get to the camels then only about a 40min camel ride to the camp site for a traditional ber ber meal. Marakesh is one of my favorite places in the world and jnane mogador helped with that decision.excellent value for money!!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

My friend and I stayed at the Jnane Mogador for three nights during our first trip to Medina and had a fantastic experience. We were initially a bit nervous as two American girls but found wonderful guidance and comfort from the hotel and staff. Our first day there we made a fast friend in a member of the hotel team, Hassan, who helped us see a nearby mountain town, ride a camel, gave advice on food and a guide for a walking tour around the city. We also found that the food in the hotel was amazing, including a delicious and hearty breakfast for only 4 euro. The location is also incredible - right off the main merchant square in Medina, leading right into the souks. Everything was clean and safe and I can't wait to make plans for another trip. I even left behind a necklace in my room that the hotel staff found for me and is sending to my home in NYC.

I highly recommend this hotel and hope everyone has as amazing a time as we did. Happy travels!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Lee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 3 nights 2 weeks ago and loved it. The riad is in a great location (a short walk from Djemaa el Fna) and is beautifully decorated. The staff are really friendly and helpful. The highlight for us was the hamman downstairs in the riad. Whilst we were staying there was an offer for a hamman, full body massage and three course evening meal at the riad for 290dh! It was a bargain and really enjoyable. If you are staying here in the summer it is really hot and there isn't any air conditioning so sleeping is difficult! We would definitely recommend this place though.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

After reading the great reviews and negotiating a good deal (30 euro/night) I was pretty pumped up. When I arrived I was unimpressed. Very nice people up at the terrace restaurant, however the people working at the desk tried to make me pay 38 euro/night using shady math and the omnipotent large calculator. Also, beware of recommendations here--we were directed to a food stall in the Djema El Fna that didn't exist. Decent location, very quiet but no amenities whatsoever. But it is cheap, clean and perfect if you are on a budget.

Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Torquay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

Had a great week in Marrakech staying at Jnane Mogador. It is located a few minutes from Jemma El Fna. The staff were friendly and the rooms were clean. We had a taxi driver arranged by the hotel to take us out on trips and I would recommend him. We used the Hammam and it also was good value and great fun.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a window.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2011

I was a bit apprehensive because we were arriving in Marrakech without any hotel booking and a fairly tight budget. Since it was almost low season, we figured it'd be better to simply just show up and compare prices/rooms first-hand. Fortunately, we stumbled across this place! From the exterior, it looks quite posh and out of our price range - we almost didn't even walk in! But it turned out that the low season rates were actually very reasonable for what you get, and we managed to snag the very last room available due to a last-minute cancellation. The riad is really very beautiful and well-kept. I was most impressed by the architecture and the roof-top terrace. The ensuite double room, while quite small/claustrophobic-inducing, was very clean and nicely furnished. There was also a small TV and fan (TV didn't work). Overall, it was a very pleasant, peaceful place to lay our heads after a long, hot and crazy day in Marrakech. The location is excellent too - only about a 3 min walk away from "the big square." A great deal (especially if traveling during low season), but you still might want to reserve a room since they seem to frequently be full.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Jnane Mogador? Share your experiences!