“Peaceful getaway from the hustle and bustle of Marrakech” 4 of 5 stars

Dar Zarraba
Douar Akarra | Tassoultant, Marrakech 44000, Morocco   |
Ranked #324 of 1,040 Marrakech B&B and Inns
London
“Peaceful getaway from the hustle and bustle of Marrakech”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2010

A really lovely place to relax at the beginning of our Holiday before moving to the Medina. The gardens and pool are beautiful and it is so quiet and peaceful - the only thing to wake you is the call to prayer from the local mosque - but you can't avoid that anywhere in Morocco. The food is also lovely.

Michel and the staff were really friendly and helpful in organising taxis etc. I would suggest you don't try to do your whole trip to Marrakech from here but use it as a beautiful getaway in the countryside.

If you go in February then take a warm jumper as the weather was hit and miss for us and it would have been nice to have the pool warm enough to use - it would be fine from March - October though. However we can't blame the hotel for the weather!

We were already talking about going back before we had left.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

129 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Bristol, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2009

I'm often tentative about booking hotels outside of the city I intend to visit, but since staying at Dar Zarraba, I'm very glad I did! Everything about the place was perfect, from the staff, to the food to the place itself. Having breakfast outside your room, the pool being a handful of steps from your room and the attentiveness of the staff are all little luxuries you can enjoy, and at good value too. It should be noted that breakfast, lunch and dinner are all additional costs, as well as the bottle of water they'll provide you with each meal. There is also the option of a bottle of wine if you ask for it. If I return to this part of Morocco again, I will definitely be staying here again!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
southampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2009

Fantastic hotel, cant fault it! Michele and his staff were more than welcoming and catered for our every need. The swimming pool area was great and plenty of shaded areas to relax in during the hotter periods. Food was delicious and compared to other hotels/restaurants that we stayed in was the best value for money. The hotel is located 15 minutes outside of Marrakesh and is a bit over 100dirham to get in. If you are spending more than a few days in marrakesh I definately recommend that you spend half your time in a hotel located outside of the city walls like this one so, as the city isnt the best place to relax!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2009

We stayed at Dar Zarraba with our children, aged 7 and 9. After leaving for a couple of days to visit Essouira we returned to Dar Zarraba earlier than we planned, because we missed it so much! The children enjoyed wondering around the garden, searching for frogs and turtles, feeding the goats and the donkey, playing card games in the shade of the berber tent and of course plunging into the swimming pool. We loved just about everything from the wonderful atmosphere, the beautiful interiors, the delicious meals and the wonderful view of the (lantern lit) swimming pool from our rooms. Everyone we met at Dar Zarraba, from Michel the owner, to all the people who took care of us while we were there, gave us the warmest welcome.
We’re already looking forward to our next visit to Dar Zarraba.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
UBUD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2009

Definitely a place to stay in the surroundings of Marrakech . The hotel is made with taste and feels comfortable. After a week in Morocco, I can say I had the best food in Zarraba. The owner is very friendly and helpful. He seems to be a passionate and above all, this place doesn t seem to be built up to `make money` but to share a passion. the building is eco-friendly but still of the highest quality.
A few tips if you want to have a great experience:
1/ it is not in the center of the Medina . so, it is best to rent a car, they will help, when I rent mine in march 09 I choose the cheapest and it cost 25eu per 24hours. free parking at the hotel.
2/ if you have a laptop:free internet in the restaurant.
3/ the cook is excellent ! from my experience in morrocco, prices are `standard restaurant`. Of course it is cheaper to eat standing in the street but well...
4/ Zarraba is in Morocco: don t rely on credit cards for payments as few places offer this facility.
5/ call the hotel or email and let them pick you up at the airport, it s only 15 eu and no hassle, no stress.
Zarraba is a beautiful, quiet place to stay in the surroundings of Marrakesh and the place where I ll stay next time I come to Morocco.
I spend over a hundred nights in hotels (almost every continent) per year and I found Zarraba to be one of my best experience this year.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Lisbon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2009

The place is beautiful but as one of the previous reviewers said, it is sometimes difficult to know what is going on.

Being in deep countryside, ineed you have to struggle sometimes with hot water, electricity and heating. And you cannot pay with the credit cards, but it is not their fault, hardly anyone uses cards in Morocco. It is the fault of the agency that did not tell us to have cash prepared. The owner of the place did not mind, he told us to wire the money when we go back home. I was impressed by the trust he gave us, of course as soon we arrived home, I wired the money.

On the other hand, you don't know what is going on there. The staff is not around when you need to ask a question. There is actually no reception as such so if you need something or someone, you have to go hunting. I was disappointed that noone gave us any map of Marrakesch, talked to us, gave us advice or tips. I had asked by email to book a guide for us but they said that the guides would just take us to the shops and someone from the house would go with us instead. But in the morning when we were going to Marrakech there was noone available in the house.

The worse actually were the drum concert. The staff amuses themselves in the evening playing drums in the dining room. The visitors are welcome but if they are not interested, they have to hear everything anyway because you really cannot sleep until you finish. So the "oasis of tranquility" that their webpage promised to be was sych not between 21 and 24. The first night I went to complain and they said they were finishing and they still went for another hour.

So it was a beautiful place indeed but I would not stay there because I did not like the service.

Stayed December 2008
surrery
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2008

What a perfect place. I went for 2 weeks last year without my children and have just returned for 2 weeks with them. They had a magical time (ages, 10 and 8). The whole site is safe and the children loved exploring, riding the donkey and the pool.
Service is laid back and courteous. Michel and his boys create a great atmosphere - food is delicious and the pool is a real haven. Great Berber tents for playing cards and chatting in the shade and simple yet stylish air conditioned rooms.
Would recommend to anyone as a perfect antidote to hectic Marrakesh

Stayed July 2008

Been to Dar Zarraba? Share your experiences!