“Dar Rhizlane Boutique Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dar Rhizlane

You added Dar Rhizlane to your Saves list
Dar Rhizlane
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenue Jnane El Harti | Hivernage, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #188 of 464 Hotels in Marrakech
Ottawa, Canada
“Dar Rhizlane Boutique Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

This small luxury boutique hotel is an airy little piece of lush green paradise with a nice pool to relax in and enjoy the very hot sun. However, the air-conditioner in our friends' room did not work as well as ours did. The staff was friendly and accomodating. The bath tub didn't really accomodate a "shower" although you could rinse with the hand-held device. The gardens were well maintained and beautiful. The food was good. Good location and quiet rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for first floor if you don't like stairs. The elevator was slow and small.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

Only one night but really enjoyed the stay. Calm and peaceful with wonderful pool and outdoor area. Room excellent, so was the food and service. Needs good showers would be only gripe!
Fab location near to everything.

Room Tip: Get a view up top.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

Me and my fiancé spent 3 days at the Dar Rhizlane on the beggining of feb'12. The hotel has a nice location, not right in the centre but walking distance from everything, close to nice restaurants, etc. The room was ok, nothing super fancy and the down sides were the toilet was extremely small, and the bathroom only had bath with a loose shower head, but not a proper shower. So if you're a shower person or if you have lots of hair to wash like me, forget it! There was not tv or mini bar in the bedroom but at the commom area shared with another room just outside our rooms. We did have our "own" balcony but the curtains were filthy because of the pigeons(see pic). The staff spoke poor English, the pool was nice even tho was cold and we didn't really bathe on it, the breakfast was ok, same thing, every day, brought to us, I guess because it wasn't full the hotel.

At the check-out, I left a postcard stamped at the reception to be sent out but my friend never got it, so....

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

My wife and I spent close to a week at Dar Rhizlane during the summer of 2010. From the moment we arrived, until the moment we left, we were subject to fantastic service, amazing food and luxurious accomodations. Dar Rhizlane is a true oasis in Marrakech. It has a fantastic location, only a short walk to Jemaa-el-Fnaa, which allowed us to venture out in the early morning to explore and then return to escape the heat of the midday sun. The staff were very friendly and courteous and contributed greatly to the warm atmosphere of the place. The open air restaurant, surrounded by lush vegetation and fragrant flowers was an excellent choice for dinner on occassion - although admittedly my wife and I preferred to go out into the city on most nights. A truly great option for a weary traveller to rest and regroup.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Amman
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

There are so many riads and hotels in Marrakech that it is difficult to decide on where to stay, but I chose Dar Rhizlane upon a recommendation from a friend and it exceeded my expectations. As you walk in the smell of rose water greets you with many small water pots filled with rose petals. The low lights and quiet atmosphere immediately relaxes you. The room is absolutely marvelous in terms of furniture, design, and attention to detail. The fireplace that is lit upon request gives additional warmth and a beautiful smell to the room. Breakfast is typical moroccan, simple, but perfect, and the presentation and service are friendly, professional, and inviting. I was woken every day to the chirping of birds in my private garden where i had breakfast twice: idyllic!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Bremen, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

We spent two nights in this beautiful hotel with our children. It has fantastic, large rooms, beautifully furnished, surrounded of gardens, full of quiet corners to enjoy. The employees are very friendly and courteous, service is perfect. The are opening a Spa area in a few weeks, which will round their offer fantastically. Everything perfectly looked after.
To the Medina it was a short walk, around 10 minutes -with children-. Taxis and horse carts were always there though, if we didn´t want to walk.

Our fantastic suite room was unfortunately a bit noisy at night (cars/motorbikes in the main street); our children enjoyed perfect nights on the ground floor though, in the garden side. So ask for a room overlooking the garden! I´d recommend the hotel insulates the windows on the street side to reduce the noise!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

Have just returned from a 3 night stay at the Dar Rhizlane and have left with mixed feelings about the place. First the good. It is a beautiful property, the decore and fittings in our room were all as you would imagine a Moroccan house to be like and as a first trip to Marrakech it was exactly what we wanted to find.

The room itself was not huge but was really well decorated in local style and very comfortable. There was plenty of wardrobe hanging space in the room and the corridor where the mini bar was also located. This all had a huge amount of charm. Comfortable bed and working air con were also present as was a largeish flat screen TV on the mantle piece above the fireplace, which couldn't have looked more out of place. I suspect this is demanded by guests these days but frankly we never once turned it on and the room would have looked better without it. We also had a private garden attached to our room which was a nice feature and somewhere to sit outside in the evening, although it has to be said it was not a very imaginatively planted and could have benefitted from some TLC. The only negative was the ensuite, which whilst it was again attractively decorated only had a bath and no shower. There was a hand held shower attachment but this was not able to be attached to the sloping wall and was very frustrating, I hate not having a shower in the morning. I asked at reception if they had any other rooms which did have a shower but was told none of their rooms had showers, which I am not entirely sure I believed and suspect it was more to shut me up. Shame.

The outside public areas are also very attractivre with many trees and flowers making for a very romatic setting. The pool was also a nice feature as were the double sun beds set out around it. Sitting for breakfast or dinner on their terrace was delightful, the trees shading you from any direct sun and the local muscicians in the evening adding to the ambience rather than trying to create it as is sometimes the case.

We only ate one dinner there, the evening we arrived, but were impressed with the overall quality of the food, but not blown away. The Marrakech salad that was the started (the menu is a set meal with no choice) contained many various small plates of item that gave a taste of the diversity of the local cuisine. Presentation had clearly been thought about and overall it was a great way to start the meal. The main course of chicken tagine was also good, although the chicken was slightly over cooked but had great flavour from the sauce it came with. We decided that dessert was a course too far and left it at that. Overall a good meal but not one I would make a special detour to sample.

Now on to the less good. I think that some of the staff are wonderful, really engaged and showed a truly hospitable approach to us. Unfortunately this was not across the board, others were less impressive. Whilst some of it may have been due to language barriers (my French is not that good) some of the behaviours were simply inappropriate for any hotel let alone one that has 5 stars and calls itself "the best Riad in Marrakech" as we were told by the reception girl when checking in. Examples of this are that if you are by the pool you are left completely alone with no staff even offering to get you a drink or refreshments. You have to walk to the bar where the waitresses were all talking and ask then to bring you want you wanted, which they then did. If you wanted anything further you would again have to get up and ask for it yourself. Now, whilst this is not in itself something I would normally get bothered by, it was the total lack of any kind of service culture that really surprised me. One afternoon, never having seen a menu we asked if they could make a club sandwich and was told yes and the waitress then went away to relay our order to the kitchen. 10 minutes later a man appeared asking us, very politely it must be said, what we had ordered because the waitress had not understood what we wanted. He again confirmed they could make a club sandwich and asked whether we wanted chicken or beef, we ordered one of each. What came back was chicken pieces in a small pita breads (4 of them!) and mini beef burgers again in 4 small pitas. Not exactly a club sandwich but again I suspect language issues are to blame here and they were both well cooked if way too much for a light lunchtime bite.

Breakfast was also another slight disappointment. There was lots of it, way too much infact, but it was all very carb heavy. We got local pancakes (actually very good and warm) several very thin crumpet like pancakes, a selection of patries (2 each of croissant, pain au chocolat and pain au raisin) and 3 mini bread sticks, homemade vanilla yoghurt (extremely good) and strawberry and apricot jams. There were also two glasses of very fresh and delicious orange juice and coffee or tea. Now this is great for the first day but by day 3 you are craving some variety and a fruit salad or even a selection of fresh fruits to choose from would be welcome. Maybe an egg or two, or some cheese. Sadly it felt a little like the pile em high sell em cheap approach when less but better would have definately been more.

Far worse was the check out process. We were required to vacate our rooms by mid-day, which is fine as they needed to get it ready for another guest. Having packed our cases we asked where we could store them and the somewhat surely woman at reception showed us a place next to the front door. This was in full view and did not exactly feel secure but was the only place she could offer us. Things then got worse when we asked to change from our swimming costume into the clothes we were to travel in. I assumed that we would either be shown to a vacant room or even a toilet or somewhere there was a basin and an ability to freshen up. Sadly not. The same woman who felt it appropriate to leave our bags by the front door showed us to what can only be described as the meter cupboard, where there were fuse boxes, other guests cases and a tiny desk with a computer on it and masses of papers, boxes etc etc. I know Riads are not the biggest of places but when you set yourself up to be the best Riad in town you simply do not treat guests like this. I was so stunned that I was literally speachless.

To top off the checking out experience I was in the process of paying the bill and decided to use cash that I had left over. Reception did not quite have thr right change and asked me if I had a 1 Dirham coin. I looked but could not find it. Given that 1 Dirham is worth less than 10 pence I would have thought they might simply waive it and give me change that was 1 Dirham too much, especially given what I had paid, but no, I had to go through all of my pockets and eventually found the required coin, at which point I was given my change. On leaving I asked this same woman if we could get a cab to take us to the airport. She simply pointed round the corner and asked us to go to the cab rank rather than get a cab for us.

The above is simply not acceptable in a basic 3 star hotel let alone one which likes to consider itself as a 5 star. This one person's behaviour was extremely unfortunate and others were far better (my wife's mobile phone fell out of her handbag on the plane when arriving and the reception girl when we checked in was extremely helpful and called BA and the airport to try and find it but with no luck) but as a final experience of the hotel, it really is about as bad as it gets.

The sad thing is that all of these problems could easily be over come with a little more emphasis placed on staff training and attention to detail. If these small changes could be made you would have a stellar place to stay in Marrakech, but as is I can recommend it but with the above caveats, as present not a 5 star hotel, even by Marrakech standards!

Room Tip: Ask if you can have a shower in the room and one with terrace or garden.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Dar Rhizlane? Share your experiences!