“Lovely boutique hotel in Marrakesch” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dar Rhizlane

Save Saved
You added Dar Rhizlane to your Saves list
Dar Rhizlane
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenue Jnane El Harti | Hivernage, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #198 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Bremen, Germany
“Lovely boutique hotel in Marrakesch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

We spent two nights in this beautiful hotel with our children. It has fantastic, large rooms, beautifully furnished, surrounded of gardens, full of quiet corners to enjoy. The employees are very friendly and courteous, service is perfect. The are opening a Spa area in a few weeks, which will round their offer fantastically. Everything perfectly looked after.
To the Medina it was a short walk, around 10 minutes -with children-. Taxis and horse carts were always there though, if we didn´t want to walk.

Our fantastic suite room was unfortunately a bit noisy at night (cars/motorbikes in the main street); our children enjoyed perfect nights on the ground floor though, in the garden side. So ask for a room overlooking the garden! I´d recommend the hotel insulates the windows on the street side to reduce the noise!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

123 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

Have just returned from a 3 night stay at the Dar Rhizlane and have left with mixed feelings about the place. First the good. It is a beautiful property, the decore and fittings in our room were all as you would imagine a Moroccan house to be like and as a first trip to Marrakech it was exactly what we wanted to find.

The room itself was not huge but was really well decorated in local style and very comfortable. There was plenty of wardrobe hanging space in the room and the corridor where the mini bar was also located. This all had a huge amount of charm. Comfortable bed and working air con were also present as was a largeish flat screen TV on the mantle piece above the fireplace, which couldn't have looked more out of place. I suspect this is demanded by guests these days but frankly we never once turned it on and the room would have looked better without it. We also had a private garden attached to our room which was a nice feature and somewhere to sit outside in the evening, although it has to be said it was not a very imaginatively planted and could have benefitted from some TLC. The only negative was the ensuite, which whilst it was again attractively decorated only had a bath and no shower. There was a hand held shower attachment but this was not able to be attached to the sloping wall and was very frustrating, I hate not having a shower in the morning. I asked at reception if they had any other rooms which did have a shower but was told none of their rooms had showers, which I am not entirely sure I believed and suspect it was more to shut me up. Shame.

The outside public areas are also very attractivre with many trees and flowers making for a very romatic setting. The pool was also a nice feature as were the double sun beds set out around it. Sitting for breakfast or dinner on their terrace was delightful, the trees shading you from any direct sun and the local muscicians in the evening adding to the ambience rather than trying to create it as is sometimes the case.

We only ate one dinner there, the evening we arrived, but were impressed with the overall quality of the food, but not blown away. The Marrakech salad that was the started (the menu is a set meal with no choice) contained many various small plates of item that gave a taste of the diversity of the local cuisine. Presentation had clearly been thought about and overall it was a great way to start the meal. The main course of chicken tagine was also good, although the chicken was slightly over cooked but had great flavour from the sauce it came with. We decided that dessert was a course too far and left it at that. Overall a good meal but not one I would make a special detour to sample.

Now on to the less good. I think that some of the staff are wonderful, really engaged and showed a truly hospitable approach to us. Unfortunately this was not across the board, others were less impressive. Whilst some of it may have been due to language barriers (my French is not that good) some of the behaviours were simply inappropriate for any hotel let alone one that has 5 stars and calls itself "the best Riad in Marrakech" as we were told by the reception girl when checking in. Examples of this are that if you are by the pool you are left completely alone with no staff even offering to get you a drink or refreshments. You have to walk to the bar where the waitresses were all talking and ask then to bring you want you wanted, which they then did. If you wanted anything further you would again have to get up and ask for it yourself. Now, whilst this is not in itself something I would normally get bothered by, it was the total lack of any kind of service culture that really surprised me. One afternoon, never having seen a menu we asked if they could make a club sandwich and was told yes and the waitress then went away to relay our order to the kitchen. 10 minutes later a man appeared asking us, very politely it must be said, what we had ordered because the waitress had not understood what we wanted. He again confirmed they could make a club sandwich and asked whether we wanted chicken or beef, we ordered one of each. What came back was chicken pieces in a small pita breads (4 of them!) and mini beef burgers again in 4 small pitas. Not exactly a club sandwich but again I suspect language issues are to blame here and they were both well cooked if way too much for a light lunchtime bite.

Breakfast was also another slight disappointment. There was lots of it, way too much infact, but it was all very carb heavy. We got local pancakes (actually very good and warm) several very thin crumpet like pancakes, a selection of patries (2 each of croissant, pain au chocolat and pain au raisin) and 3 mini bread sticks, homemade vanilla yoghurt (extremely good) and strawberry and apricot jams. There were also two glasses of very fresh and delicious orange juice and coffee or tea. Now this is great for the first day but by day 3 you are craving some variety and a fruit salad or even a selection of fresh fruits to choose from would be welcome. Maybe an egg or two, or some cheese. Sadly it felt a little like the pile em high sell em cheap approach when less but better would have definately been more.

Far worse was the check out process. We were required to vacate our rooms by mid-day, which is fine as they needed to get it ready for another guest. Having packed our cases we asked where we could store them and the somewhat surely woman at reception showed us a place next to the front door. This was in full view and did not exactly feel secure but was the only place she could offer us. Things then got worse when we asked to change from our swimming costume into the clothes we were to travel in. I assumed that we would either be shown to a vacant room or even a toilet or somewhere there was a basin and an ability to freshen up. Sadly not. The same woman who felt it appropriate to leave our bags by the front door showed us to what can only be described as the meter cupboard, where there were fuse boxes, other guests cases and a tiny desk with a computer on it and masses of papers, boxes etc etc. I know Riads are not the biggest of places but when you set yourself up to be the best Riad in town you simply do not treat guests like this. I was so stunned that I was literally speachless.

To top off the checking out experience I was in the process of paying the bill and decided to use cash that I had left over. Reception did not quite have thr right change and asked me if I had a 1 Dirham coin. I looked but could not find it. Given that 1 Dirham is worth less than 10 pence I would have thought they might simply waive it and give me change that was 1 Dirham too much, especially given what I had paid, but no, I had to go through all of my pockets and eventually found the required coin, at which point I was given my change. On leaving I asked this same woman if we could get a cab to take us to the airport. She simply pointed round the corner and asked us to go to the cab rank rather than get a cab for us.

The above is simply not acceptable in a basic 3 star hotel let alone one which likes to consider itself as a 5 star. This one person's behaviour was extremely unfortunate and others were far better (my wife's mobile phone fell out of her handbag on the plane when arriving and the reception girl when we checked in was extremely helpful and called BA and the airport to try and find it but with no luck) but as a final experience of the hotel, it really is about as bad as it gets.

The sad thing is that all of these problems could easily be over come with a little more emphasis placed on staff training and attention to detail. If these small changes could be made you would have a stellar place to stay in Marrakech, but as is I can recommend it but with the above caveats, as present not a 5 star hotel, even by Marrakech standards!

Room Tip: Ask if you can have a shower in the room and one with terrace or garden.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

Stayed at the Dar for 2 nights having read some reviews and looking at the websight. We had intended to stay 3 nights, but left early for a better location.... This isnt a terrible hotel, and I have mixed feeling about my ratings, but there are better values elsewhere, and overall we just felt that it needed a bit of TLC for the high $$ . Plain and simple, it just needs a facelift. The buliding itself is very nice, but just a bit run down here and there. For example, the fountain in front was not working, the other ponds in front are a bit overgrown and the water was really murky. The bedrooms, at least the "deluxe" rooms that we were in were OK, but as another rater commented, very very small. When we were shown to our room, it had two single beds. When i asked why, i was told "that was ewhat you reserved sir". that was not the case, and since they were not full, they offered us a similar, but smaller room across the terrace w/ a king sized bed. The beds were indeed comfortable, but the bathrooms, and the common area (4 rooms share a common living room) were just run down and well, dirty -- for instance we ran our fingers across the walls, sills, etc, and had a pretty nice coating of grime on our fingers. The bathtub was a bit dusty and a few hairs here and there - you'd expect a hotel of this caliber and price to be spotless. When we mentioned these problems to the staff, house cleaning was sent up, and was told that it was likely that b/c we had left our window open that the dust and grim had accululated. Look, I live in New Yoek City, so i know about grime and soot. and dust , etc....trust me , that at amount of grime on the walls can NOT accumulate in a few hours, The common balcony railing overlooking the pool ( we were on the 3rd floor I guess) was overgrown with a thicket of wild flowering branches, that are pretty to look at from the pool are, but are a haven for pigeons and sparrows, and as a result, the balcony was pretty coatred with bird feces, which again, I understand happens, but to look up and see the rafters and railings coated with it was pretty disgusting. The furniture in the common area which has a few chairs, couchs, and a TV, desk etc were all sort of old and worn, and very dusty. If you smacked the cushions (we did just to see) you get a big dust cloud...the red rugs were a bit frayed. The pool area and grounds were decent, the place at night is very breath taking with all the lighiting and the candles floating in the pool. So there certainly are some things about this hotel that are OK, but for the $$ i just can't recommend it. The service was slow, and since we didnt speak much French, we found that added to our frustrations with the place. In terms of location, there isnt much in walking distance to the hotel - the Djma el Fnaa square is at least a 5 mintue taxi ride, which runs 50dhs, so you are sort of stuck in the outskirts of town - if the Medina is where you are looking to spend your time, this is NOT a good location. In terms of our leaving early, they initially resisted and said they because we had committed to 3 nights via the "Hotels & Riads" websight that we would be charges for the 3rd night regardless. The manager said that charging us for only two nights was "impossible" as she, the other staff, etc would all end up paying for the unused room. Given our issues with cleanliness as detailed above, we threatened to fight the third night on our credit card and insisted that we speak to the manager. After several minutes, probably closer to 20, the assistant mgr came back and said that usualy they do not make exceptions, but in theis instance, they would grant an exception and not charge us for the 3rd night. Good riddence, we couldnt wait to get out of there, and onto the more enjoyable part of our trip to Marrakech...

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2010

We have stayed a long weekend at the Dar Rhizlane and had high expectations after the rave reviews here on Tripadvisor. Unfortunately, our expectations were not quite met.

However, good things first, the hotel is very nice, a beautiful old property with several nice touches. An extensive use of roses across the hotel, candles and arabic lights in the evening, nice smells everywhere.

We travelled with some friends and booked two deluxe rooms. We were surprised however that the two rooms were eventually part of a large suite with a shared living room. Even though it was nice, we were not told about it in the first place and certainly did not ask for it.

The rooms itself were fairly small, however with separate bath and separate extremely small toilet. The bed was very comfortable. Unfortunately, the room was completely overheated and the heating could not be adjusted. Despite a complaint and someone pretending and claiming to have fixed it, it stayed hot in the room which made sleeping difficult.

Even though there were a few good exceptions, the service in general was very slow and poor, in particular in the restaurant. I am understanding when the staff are under a lot of pressure but less so when they are chatting among each other and we have to ask three times for a drink. The food however was in general very good.

Since the hotel has no spa, we asked for a nice traditional hammam somewhere else. The hotel arranged it including pickup, it was called '1000 et un soin' and cannot be recommended. The place is in an office building about 20 minutes car drive away, hardly anything traditional about it, though the scrub in the steam room was good.

All in all, it would have been acceptable but for the price, there must be better!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2010

If you are looking for the perfect boutique hotel in Marrakech… look no further! My husband and I have traveled the world for years and this was by far one of the loveliest places we were given to stay. This majestic house is set in the Hivernage area which is so calm and peaceful but only 15 minutes walk from the Djema El fna in the meantime. Marrakech at its best ! And if you like this type of place where one really feel special we would also recommend "restaurant Riad Monceau". By far our best restaurant experience in Marrakech.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Monaco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2009

The hotel is absolutely beautiful. There was lots of attention to details such as the flowers, rose petals, candles, incense and generally every effort made to make it look breathtaking at most times. The hotel is a large house and this also adds to it's charm. It has several communal areas rather than one large lobby/reception area so it feels like a home from home. The staff were generally very attentive but sometimes you were left waiting for long time at breakfast or at the bar.

Our room was lovely. Very large, spacious, clean and traditionally decorated but also comfortable and with a sumptious feel.

Breakfast was good but did not offer enough variety if you were there for a few days. The restaurant was as good too but did not offer anything different to other restaurants we'd visited.

The best thing for us however was its location. Near enough to the Medina to walk but far enough to get away from it all when it gets unbearable. This is the perfect place for first time visitors to Marrakech because of its location, you can dip in and out of the chaos! It is also a great hotel to just relax and lounge by the pool and not do any sights. And definitely recommend it for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2009

Even for spoiled guests like we are, this riad - the best in Marrakesh - is an astounding experience. Lovely romantic rooms, a superb decorated courtyard, with lovely grand white, yellow and red bougainvilles make this an exceptionally beautiful riad/ chambre d'hotes. With a friendly and professional staff having an excellent eye for detail, your stay will be remembered as one of the best you had in recent times. The room we stayed in (on the top floor, a suite) has a terrasse, with soft white pillows where you can enjoy the later afternoon and evening sun. The rooms are individually decorated with small but convenient bathrooms. From breakfast, lunch to a traditional Moroccan dinner, the food is excellent (if you like you can also eat spaghetti or your favourite western dish) this is what you expect from a hotel, a small but beautiful pearl in Marrakesh.

Stayed May 2009, traveled with family

Been to Dar Rhizlane? Share your experiences!