The pre-booked taxi either didn't show up or left early - probably not helped by the fact that it took 1 hour for passport control to let everyone though. Luckily, a taxi driver, whose fare didn't show up took us to the Riad, which was very good because it is down an impossible to find alleyway.
As soon as we entered, we were very impressed by the entire place and our room, the cardamon was very beautiful, ornate ceilings, well furnished. Towels and dressing gowns, whilst clean and fresh, looked a bit "tired" and worn.
Both my wife and I had booked a massage and that was truly wonderful, quite clearly given by a trained masseur, who turned out to be the manager of the riad.
On our last night, whilst I had just started my massage, suddenly the lights went out and the masseur disappeared. Moments later there was an awful lot of screaming and banging. I got dressed and discovered that there was a fire and the staff were into panic mode, shouting incomprehensibly in their mother tongue. No English and only one of them could speak French. It turned out that they wanted us on the terrace roof (for a possible escape to next door buildings). In the end the fire turned out to be an electrical fire just inside the entrance. It completely burnt out the electrics and could have been a lot worse. An electrician spent 4 hours re-wiring and trying to resolve the problem. He only partially did so, clearly there was more deeper problem somewhere else.
We had booked dinner in the riad that evening but our clothes smelt of smoke, my wife could not finish drying her hair, so whilst the food (cooked by Latifa) was excellent and the atmosphere in the dining room was cosy, it just didn't go as well as it could have done, with all the drama that had occurred.
We were not charged for our bottle of wine with our meal and the evening finished off fine (with partial electrics!)
I have read other reports about this riad and quite a few suggest that it requires a bit of TLC and that with the owners being away, the service is not perhaps as good as it might be. I think we would echo this. Communication was terrible and the fire showed how bad this was. It could have been worse. They were friendly, but could have gone that extra bit after the drama, to make their guests feel abit more comfortable.
This place could be great, as it is we would give it an average review.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.