“A calm and tranquil retreat from the organized chaos of Marrakesh!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dar Hanane

Save Saved
You added Dar Hanane to your Saves list
Dar Hanane
9 Derb Lalla Azzouna | Kaat Benahid, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #76 of 1,040 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Kelowna, Canada
“A calm and tranquil retreat from the organized chaos of Marrakesh!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I stayed at Dar Hanane with my two sisters in February 2013. Mandy and her staff were so accommodating, organizing restaurant reservations, transport, hammans, cooking classes etc! The accommodation was really comfortable, with a lovely choice of bedding and high quality bathroom products! The little touches such as having an honour bar, with a great choice of local wines to enjoy on the roof top patio, or next to the fire in one of the living areas were appreciated. Really nice to be right in the medina. Thank you to Aziz, who rescued us a few times when our sense of direction in the medina completely escaped us! His wonderful smile and gentle personality made us feel as if nothing was too much of an effort. Would definitely recommend Dar Hanane. Thanks to Mandy and her staff.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

254 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Fantastic riad. The roof terrace was amazing. It had great views and all day sun. The rooms were excellent. Breakfast was delicious. Mandy and Aziz were really helpful. They organised tickets for us, showed us around, and woke up at 4am so we could get to the train. Take the one day drive over to the mountains to the desert - the scenery was superb and the kasbahs were amazing. Great place to stay!

• Stayed January 2013
Thame UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

A group of us stayed at the Dar Hanane in February 2013 and the entire experience was fantastic from the super friendly greeting from Mandy and her staff to beautiful, fresh prepared breakfasts on the roof terrace over looking the Medina and a superb tagine meal prepared fresh in house.
Advise was freely given and never let us down. The Riad is stunning, a real oasis of tranquility and comfort.
Meeting Aziz was a pleasure, no one could have done more guiding us when ever we asked for help and not sure we would have achieved delivery of the amazing calamari on stall 14 in the square without him.
Well done and thanks to them all, a great trip.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Clearwater, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I stayed at Dar Hanane in mid December with two friends and truly enjoyed my stay. Along with the incredible breakfast and along with the roof terrace with the views of the Medina there was the help of the staff to ensure my stay was a great one. I thought the location was perfect for my
excursions into the old city and after I returned to the Riad there was always some mint tea and assistance for anything else I wanted. I highly recommend this Riad. The photo I have uploaded
is of the terrace and my breakfast.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
iansilverstein
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

Thank you to Mandy and her team who were great to have around. I spent 2 nights at Dar Hananne and had a great time. The Riads location is perfect, right amongst all the Medina has to offer and they all made a very hectic and congested city easier to navigate and enjoy.

I stayed in the Grande Suite and it is a lovely room, very stylish, big and provides you with a perfect base.

Mandy who looks after the 4 Riads in the group couldn't do enough and was not only really helpful, she was great to have around. Along with Aziz, who is a local, the kitchen staff and other members of the team you feel like you have instantly made some new friends on arrival.

They also hosted all the guests at one of the other Riads (Dar Amore) on New Years Eve and arranged local dancers, drinks on the roof terrace, local buffet and champagne at midnight. All in all a great night.

I would recommend any of the Pure Riad locations as the perfect way to enjoy Marrakech and I can't praise the team enough. I had a great time and am already planning a shopping trip in a few months. Taking an empty suitcase this time.

Thank you to all at Pure Riads and wishing you a great 2013.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We arrived on Dec 21st and stayed until Dec 27th. It was our first visit to Marrakech and we were a little unsure about how we would get on. We had researched Riads extensively and short-listed Dar Hanane from a book about the best riads which we had found in the local Library. Reviews on Tripadvisor convinced us to book Dar Hanane. We were not disappointed; the car pick-up from the airport, the transfer of luggage to a cart and the short walk to the Riad worked like clockwork. The dinner we had the first night (vegetable tagine because my wife does not eat meat) was excellent.
Throughout our visit the Riad Manager, Mandy, and all of her staff (especially Aziz) could not have been more helpful. Mandy arranged for a guide for one day, a trip to the High Atlas (unforgettable too) another and made several dinner bookings for us, all of which turned out to be excellent.
The Riad itself is part of the Pure Riads group and we only visited one other in the group (Tzarra) so we cannot compare this riad with others. However, it had everything which we needed. We had dinner the first night in the salon in front of a blazing fire, breakfasts most mornings on the roof terrace looking over the Medina and towards the snow-covered Atlas Mountains and on other, colder mornings in the downstairs dining room. We had the Douria Suite, which was very comfortable, opening out into the salon. It obviously backed onto a street because it was quite noisy in the evenings. It was also opposite the honesty bar in the salon and cool beers were very welcome after a hard day pounding the streets and souks of the Medina. The Riad is ideally located about 10 minutes walk from the Place Jemaa El Fna, 5 minutes from the Museum of Marrakech and the Madersa Ben Youssef and 5 minutes from the souks. Mandy very helpfully provided us with a hand drawn map of the local streets and we managed not to get lost.
Part of the reason for that was because of the help of Aziz who escorted us to / from the car which took us to the Atlas Mtns, to / from a car which took us to a restaurant and to the car which took us to the airport at the end of an unforgettable stay.
What is the best thing about Dar Hanane? The staff; they are all excellent, friendly, helpful and nothing was too much trouble. The worst? There isn't a worst.
Oh, and yes, the wifi signal was strong and enabled us to stay in FaceTime touch with our children as they celebrated Chistmas on three different continents with their in-laws; we know who had the best deal!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Valencia, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Hello, This is the first time I've gone onto this website. A friend suggested that I might place a review of Dar Hanane; well, I'd like to try!
I have visited Dar Hanane twice: firstly in March 2011 and then in September 2012. I like to travel internationally, so that is my frame of reference: in Marrakech city I have only stayed at Dar Hanane and Riad Bel Haj (which are members of the same chain).

Dar Hanane is right in the thick of things, whilst maintaining a tranquil ambience. It's good for a visitor to Marrakech who wants to spend time in the historic centre, souks and the like whilst remaining in walking distance of their lodgings. I like the style of the interior, which stays true to the traditional feel of the arquitecture and fittings, with a cool touch of modernity in the decorations and conveniences. As above mentioned, I've been there twice, with a year and a half gap in between; I could observe no degradation in the condition of the place. On the contrary, last time I was the only guest as the other rooms were busily being restored to, I assume, tip- top condition.

The service is friendly and relaxed. I have the feeling that the staff are all well content at their place of work and I would give this the utmost importance as the human element obviously goes a great way in defining the whole experience of staying somewhere.

Very good breakfast, somewhat catered to your requests. Have it on the patio (fresh and shady) or roof terrace (too dark, pullin' yer leg).

By name I can mention;
Stuart (owner) who I met in 2011. He struck me as a nice guy, down to earth and interested in his guest. We like motorbikes.
Mandy (office), 2012. She's a gorgeous redhead like me, kind and fun what's more.
Aziz (omnipresent). After four visits to Morocco I would say that he's my best friend in the land (and not the only!) A ride through the souks on the back of his Yamaha makes an Indiana Jones movie flop like a wet blanket by comparison, 'though similarities abound. Looks dangerous, but I always made it out with my hat intact, so to speak. Indeed I have absolute confidence in his riding abilities, on which I depended when I was running very late for my friend's wedding (the reason for my last visit to Marrakesh). We had to go out of town for that one, so we made a couple of false circuits and I missed the champagne (all for the best, it got messy enough later on). As for the city centre, I suspect that Aziz knows it better than the back of his hand; he is also clearly well known and respected, more confidence inspired. MY BROTHER!

Any negatives? Well, it's not so cheap, there's no pool (table or swimming, so take a cold shower and hit the town!) and leaving the place can feel surprisingly difficult (they do make it as easy as possible!) To anyone who can clear those three hurdles, I could recommend Dar Hanane.

I have now seen that I have to tick a box saying that I have no personal or business relationship with the establishment. As I feel that I am friendly with the establishment (names above mentioned) I will just affirm that I have been offered no financial incentive to do this, it's straight from the heart. I'll tick the box and submit anyway, damned if I don't after getting all creative and reviewer- ish for about half an hour.

Peace and love,

Erik Tenek-Ool Maai

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to Dar Hanane? Share your experiences!